Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #71
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acableguy06 View Post
Torque the nut, makes the chain shorter and transfers more weight.

How does torquing the nut lift up on the plate to turn the hitch ball and transfer weight?

On edit: Just watched the video. Leverage has to be up and down to transfer load to the front axle. Front to back will roll the tow vehicle on it's tires if there is no upward lift on the hitch bar.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #72

Did you watch the video back a couple of posts?It shows it in it.

1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
How does torquing the nut lift up on the plate to turn the hitch ball and transfer weight?

On edit: Just watched the video. Leverage has to be up and down to transfer load to the front axle. Front to back will roll the tow vehicle on it's tires if there is no upward lift on the hitch bar.
Once again I`m not an engineer,but to me if you think of the ball and coupler as a hinge,and the chains below are getting shorter,then the ball and coupler joint will have to push up,thus transferring weight to the front,of the truck and axles of the trailer.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #74
President ProPride, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
Once again I`m not an engineer,but to me if you think of the ball and coupler as a hinge,and the chains below are getting shorter,then the ball and coupler joint will have to push up,thus transferring weight to the front,of the truck and axles of the trailer.

I understand what you are saying but Newton's Third Law would demand that there has to be an equal and opposite force to lift UP on the hitch bar and transfer the load. A horizontal force placed on the chain is not that force so I was asking how it accomplished that from an engineering standpoint. (I are one... )

By the way, I'm intrigued by the concept and do not mean this, in ANY way, to demean the product. I'm just trying to learn.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #75
President ProPride, Inc.

Looking at the the video it appears that the tail end of the chain is a couple inches higher than the end of the chain attached to the plate under the hitch ball. If that is the case, there would be a resultant force in the upward direction when the chain force is increased.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #76
Wanna Be Camper

It appears to be a decent design but I sure would not consider it a competitor to the 3P or Hensley Arrow. It appears to be a different take on the tried and true friction sway control that would work ok. I think I will stick with a good old conventional WD hitch till I can afford the real deal.

But I gotta give two thumbs up to innovation.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #77

Earlier in this post, I had asked the question, “While you certainly have an attractive price, does your “No Sway Distribution Hitch” eliminate sway as opposed to controlling sway once it starts?” (See page 4 of this thread). While I did not receive an answer in this forum, I eventually emailed Andersen Manufacturing with my question because I wanted to – well, in the words of President Richard Nixon – “… get off the pot” and make a purchase. I did receive a very honest response in a very timely manner.

At the time this tread was started, I was in the market for a new hitch – specifically one that guaranteed sway elimination, had a history, and was well documented. The term “No Sway” in the name “Andersen ‘No Sway’ Silent Weight Distribution Hitch” is what caught my attention and of course, Andersen Manufacturing has a 50 history. Upon hearing from the representative who answered my correspondence and because I have a specific need, I returned to my short list which consisted of Hensley, ProPride, and PullRite. After reading material delivered by both media, electronically and US Postal Service, and engaging in conversation with manufacturer representatives from my short list, I decided on the ProPride.

Although I am no longer in the market, I do want to keep up with the tread as it is an eye catching product that is sure to raise conversation in the campground. Hey, there is nothing else out there like it – to my knowledge! I would not be surprised if it changed the landscape when it comes to friction sway control.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #78

Sure looks nice and simple. As far as the chains pulling vs bars lifting for weight distribution, there is no difference at all. The force required to lift the hitch ball higher off the ground is a twisting force on the ball that projects forward through the hitch of the tv and backwards to the tt axles. Both bars and the anderson hitch chains do the same thing.

The weight distribution is not the issue here, its the sway control. Anderson hitch is friction sway control vs 3p which is basically makes the trailer solid to the truck from forces applied to tt.

Campdohbrew, congrats on your purchase. Please let us know how you like it. Maybe Sean will sell so many of his hitches that he'll be able to cut his price in half (haha just kidding Sean).
Old 02-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #79

I understand the anti-sway, it's rather simple.

The shaft of the ball is conical, smaller at the bottom, the brake lining too is conical, both of which sit into the casing, again conical.

As weight is introduced to the top of the ball, friction is applied to from the shaft to the brake lining. No different than when you press your brake pedal. Geometric shape is like the brake fluid, weight is like the power assist to you brake master.

The more weight, the greater the braking action, hence, the greater the anti-sway control.

The design makes it much superior to the standard anti-sway bars which rely on a set tension at all time, like setting your park brake just enough to keep it from being pushed on flat ground, but not enough to keep it from rolling on a hill.

However, the weight of the trailer inline with the tow vehicle is much greater than the weight of the tongue, therefore, if something is going to give, the brake lining allows slippage, which still allows a pivot point. It will not prevent sway, but will instantly provide constant pressure (braking action) which will stop the sway, the tires of the trailer will pull it back into centerline.

Now, the ball and the hitch coupler stay in constant union because the ball is secured from the bottom to the plate with a bolt, the bottom plate stays constantly inline with the a-frame of the trailer, therefore the ball will remain constant inside the hitch coupler. 4,000 lbs of force insure this.

The pivot point remains between the shaft of the ball, the brake lineing and the housing of the hitch.

The most recent video explains the weight distribution better than I could. However, I don't believe that the common weight distribution hitches act as a spring board as depicted in the video, rather more as a bounce supression. I would not say the weight distribution capabilities of the Anderson hitch are either greater or worse than the standard bars.

The benefit is one simple device that performs the job of WDH and sway control, versus two different mechanical devices paired together to perform both jobs.

I agree, getting the torque "just right" probably would not be as simple as putting a link of chain on the hook and locking into place, in fact, once the WDH hitch is tuned properly it is simple to repeat it's performance every time.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #80

I have a Anderson hitch set for delivery on Monday the 12th. I will be picking up our NEW 2406ss on Wednesday in St. Augustine, will give a report on it that nite. By the way hey everybody!! New to the forum. BL