Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #81

Welcome Big Lacy and congrats on the new trailer. Here in Martinez, my calendar says Monday is the 13th, I am watching because I hope to pick up my new Windjammer on Wednesday the 15th.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #82

Thanks BuffaloHunter,You know I think my age is catching up w/me,but it will be Monday here in Fla 3 hours before Cali. lol BL

Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #83

If the company will send me a free hitch I will try it and report back to everyone.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #84

Welcome Big Lacy,and we will be watching for your report.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #85

Boy ,I have looked at so many Rockwoods I get confused on the the one we bought. We started out thinking 2304 then finally the 2604, we pick up the 2604 on Wednesday. I stated in my very first post that we purchased a 2406, I don't think they even make a 2406. Sorry to say I have probably confused any one reading this thread. Any way when we get it home I'll post how the Anderson hitch works out. Lacy
Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #86

I first questioned the torque required on the chains. They would need to be as close to even as possible otherwise chain load would be off. However, there were many times connecting and disconnecting my TT when one spring bar had more tension than the other. As you travel down the road and the truck and trailer twist it will load and unload the bars. I would think with the Anderson, the urethane bushings would "soften" this action and could potentially maintain it if the "spring rate" of the urethane was proportional through out it's length and compression/decompression.

As for load distribution, the "tightening" of the chains would increase the moment of force and as the load was placed on the trailer that force would transfer to the chassis of the TV.

This is also why the bounce is dampened. As the load is placed in the downward direction this would try to lengthen the distance under the frame. The chains resist this lengthening. The springs dampen this and the chains will transfer that load to the TV.

If you were to place the hitch assembly on the TT/TV and tighten the chains to a point where the slack was removed but not actually tightened and then moved the TT/TV connection point up and down you would see the chains go slack on the up motion and tighten (transferring of load) on the down. By compressing the urethane this maintains the load distribution. Progressive rate urethane my be a neat thing to try.

Oh ya, Anderson Manufacturing, send me a hitch and let me try it for the season. I'll report back! Very intriguing. I am not sure though if trailer sway is eliminated but it is definitely dampened.

I would also like to see the a video similar to the Can Am video of the Hensley.

Seriously, send me one. It would be a good excuse to get a GoPro!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #87

I just thought of something. They build bridges with the same application of engineering principles. Post tensioning! How many have been to PEI. When you drive on that bridge the load of your vehicle is transferred through the cables. http://www.fenixpt.com/resources/whatis.pdf
Old 02-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #88

Pick up time moved back to Wed.everybody working RV show, seems like forever. BL
Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
I first questioned the torque required on the chains. They would need to be as close to even as possible otherwise chain load would be off.
Looks to me like unequal chain tension should be equalized via the plate under the ball.....it just might ride a little off center, but I don't think that should be a problem.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #90

All of the vids show a (Top) mounted A frame coupler. On a lot of F/R A frames now have a (Bottom) mounted coupler. With the Anderson (Ball,stud,friction sleeve,chain plate) total stack height the (Drop) to achieve level between TV and Trailer would be very close to the ground. This is in my application,yours may be different. Youroo!!