Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #1

Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution

Hi all,

Has anyone have one of this new no-sway weight distribution with the chains?

Thanks,

John

Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch
2013 nights camped 27
2014 nights camped
BigJohn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #2

It looks interesting
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #3

On (Bottom Coupler) mounted A-frame trailers the (Drop) would be very severe,thus road clearance at bottom of swivel plate. Also the chain attachment plates on the A-frame will have to be longer to keep the chains (Parallel). Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

Also they say it can be used for other towing needs without the chains installed (Ultilty trailer,motorcycle,ect.) this is true BUT you must buy (Their Special Ball/Stem assy of proper ball size,(1-7/8,or 2in)! These are NOT cheap. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Many of the members here using the Anderson really seem to like the anti-sway properties. But the jury is still out whether it can properly distribute all of the lost weight back on the TV front axle, especially on heavier trailers.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #6

We are using one for now.Pulling a 2008 outback 26RBS.I can truthfully say I do like it,BUT I can't get all the weight back on the front axle.Works great other wise.No noise at all going forward or backing up.Our TT puts a little over 1000# on the tongue. The sway is very little if any.It came with our TT when we bought it and will go with it here in a few weeks when our Chaparral gets here.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
We are using one for now.Pulling a 2008 outback 26RBS.I can truthfully say I do like it,BUT I can't get all the weight back on the front axle.Works great other wise.No noise at all going forward or backing up.Our TT puts a little over 1000# on the tongue. The sway is very little if any.It came with our TT when we bought it and will go with it here in a few weeks when our Chaparral gets here.

X2. Was just saying the same thing to Batts-toy the other day. I like it for the ease of connection and the sway control seems ok- haven't had too many long trips to test. I may use airbags to level out my set up.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Site Team

So to reconnect, i guess you loosen the bolts on each side of the frame, jack the tongue up, then release the triangle? I like the look of this but connecting seems more laborious than the bars. And not sure about the weight distribution with such a set up. Anxious for real experience feedback.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #9

We have one and tow a lightweight Tracer Air 215 with our Porsche Cayenne. We are maybe 5500 pounds loaded. We have only used it for 50 miles so far and it does improve an already good towing experience with no popping, noise, and probably less sway. With the prescribed 3 to 4 turns to the chain tension nuts it takes some load off the rear of the cayenne and transfers it to the front, but not all of it. To disconnect you take some of the weight off the ball with your tongue jack, turn the bolts on the chains 3 or 4 times, and then drop the lower triangle plate. Then disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle. Takes 5 minutes. Set up takes maybe 10 minutes. I like it is really lightweight and I can easily store it just about anywhere.

I had to shorten the chains one link to work in my application. Instructions read you can shorten or lengthen the chains by 3 links. Over the next few months we will see how it does. I can say all the components are very heavy duty and appear to be more than I need for my lightweight tv.
JgatorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #10

I chose to shorten my chains by one also- easier to adjust with my heavy tongue weight.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #11

All I do to unhitch is to jack up the tongue,loosen the big nut on the bushing,unscrew the clevis pin and drop the chains.Pull the hitch out and throw it in the side box of the TT.No grease no mess and most important no hitch to bang your shin on.LOL.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #12

We have a 2014 work & play 30wrs and it has over 1,000# tongue weight. I have not got the scale readings to prove how much it will load the front axle, however, I can tell you, no one will ever get hit with a bar trying to load up the bars. The hitch is also dead quiet and the sway control is great. I feel like we get enough weight on the front axle as our F250 does not squat and once we got the hitch set it pulls like a dream. As far as how fast you can hook up, I would bet it is faster. I just found the number of turns on the nut that works and then took my socket and marked it so I can use it like a ruler alongside the threads and away we go. I would say if you were a small person or a woman it would be much safer to connect than bars. If you are trying to take a TV with a weight that is nearly at capacity you might be a little more difficult to get level, but, if you have any working room you would be happy. there is also no greasy mess and it stores in a really small area.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for the info. I seen this at my local Rv show last weekend. It's not a bad price for it.

Thanks,

Later,
John
2013 nights camped 27
2014 nights camped
BigJohn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #14

We have the same hitch and its so easy to set up and take off even my 5 year old boy can do it, literally. He wanted to help and I let him tighten and loosen up the chains. normally i stand on one side and my wife stands on the other side so i dont have to go to each side. i ended up not using the supplied socket but went and bought an open ended wrench to tighten and loosen it up.
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, weight