Old 07-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #11

Junior Member Join Date: Jul 2016 Posts: 15 Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution Hi

MJH203,

I tow roughly the same weight trailer as you with a 2015 F150 Ecoboost and I also have the Max Tow package. I use the Andersen Hitch setup and I am more satisfied with the Anderson than I was with the chain and bar setup. I drive no faster than 62 MPH when towing. If I was to get a bigger trailer or go to a 5th wheel I would go to a 1 ton. The eco and the F150 is most likely the best 1/2 ton tow vehicle. I've towed with a GMC 1/2 ton and the 5.3 motor and a Ram 5.7 Hemi 1/2 ton. The Ford seems more like a 3/4 ton than either of the other two. And that eco motor pulls like a diesel. The torque is amazing. You should be good to go in my opinion.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
a correctly sized TV / TT combo should not even need a WDH

Probably the single most incorrect statement I have read today.

Weight placed on a TV behind the axle, will take weight off of the front. In addition, due to leverage, more weight goes on the rear axle than the actual tongue weight.

Only in extremely mis-matched vehicles -- meaning very big TV and smaller trailer -- does this not matter to much.

Your front end raising up is not desirable... and this will occur on any TV. How much so depends on the wheelbase and weight of the TV and tongue weight. A WD system transfers weight back on the front, leveling the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post

Weight placed on a TV behind the axle, will take weight off of the front. In addition, due to leverage, more weight goes on the rear axle than the actual tongue weight.

Only in extremely mis-matched vehicles -- meaning very big TV and smaller trailer -- does this not matter to much.

Your front end raising up is not desirable... and this will occur on any TV. How much so depends on the wheelbase and weight of the TV and tongue weight. A WD system transfers weight back on the front, leveling the TV.

Not at all incorrect . a truck is designed to carry X weight . weather it be loaded in the bed .in which case there is no way to put weight back to the front . or a certian amount of TW which in most cases is a 1/3 to 1/2 to cargo capacity . only in extreme cases where the rear end sags so much the lights are pointed sky ward . when i hook up my TH to MY TV . even with out the andersen the TV sits level
Old 07-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post

Agree! Every manufacturer publishes trailer weight limits in 3 groups. Hitch, WDH, and 5er/gooseneck. Pulling 15,500# with a 250 CAN be within published trailer weight and with stated driveline is. However, it is certainly over payload, GVWR, and GCWR. Probably over rear axel and tire ratings as well.
I'm not the weight police as have towed a 250 a little over payload but all else was in line and only for a short time until the 350 came in. Knowingly doing so one makes concessions.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Not at all incorrect . a truck is designed to carry X weight . weather it be loaded in the bed .in which case there is no way to put weight back to the front . or a certian amount of TW which in most cases is a 1/3 to 1/2 to cargo capacity . only in extreme cases where the rear end sags so much the lights are pointed sky ward . when i hook up my TH to MY TV . even with out the andersen the TV sits level

Yes it is. A correctly sized tow vehicle can require a WD system.

A 1,000 (or more) lbs tongue weight is too much for most trucks and hitches without WD. That doesn't mean the TV is undersized.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #16
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Towed 6500# for 10,000miles with the Andersen WDH. Performed flawlessly. Still have it waiting until I either get another TT or sell it. I moved up to a 5th wheel and a 3/4 ton. I use the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch and couldn't be more pleased. By the way, for the Andersen WDH and truck combination, make sure you get the correct drop. They sell a 4", 6" and 8". I found the 8" drop worked best on my truck.
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #17

Quote:
You have the classic misunderstanding of the primary purpose of the WDH. You state/imply that a WDH is only needed to level the tow vehicle "in extreme cases". That is incorrect, although it is a benefit of the WDH. The primary purpose of a WDH is to return lost weight (due to TW) to the front wheels for proper handling (steering, braking, etc).

A 1000 lb load carried in the bed (let's assume it is directly over the rear axle), increases the rear axle weight by 1000 lbs, and had zero effect on the front axle. No weight distribution is necessary, because the front has not been affected by the load.

But a 1000 lb load on a trailer hitch (lets assume a 10ft wheelbase, and ball 4 feet behind rear axle) will increase the rear axle weight by about 1400 lbs, and DECREASE the front axle weight by about 400 lbs (note that +1400 + (-400) = 1000 from the TW. And note that this is a fact, even if you have the heaviest of suspensions, and the truck does not squat at all! Weight has still been lost from the front axle.

That 400 lbs lost from the front wheels means a loss of stability, maneauverability, and braking at those front wheels. The WDH is designed to apply a huge torque at the receiver to redistributed that lost 400 lbs back to the front axle. In the process, some weight is also distributed back to the trailer axles, and some weight still remains on the rear axle. That is why the vehicle will usually return almost to level, but not quite.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #18

I think the Andersen would work well for you.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, sway, weight