Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2016 Model Update

I previously owned the original 2015 Ultimate Aluminum and liked it alot. Back then I did a Youtube video with comments about my installation. I've made some changes in equipment and I now am back to the Andersen Ultimate only this one is the most recent 2016 model that had a few nice changes.

I'm one of those Andersen fans that installed the kingpin adapter backward to change the pivot point to better match my mor/Ryde pinbox. Texas weather these last few weeks has kept me off the road, so I decided to do an updated Youtube video. As with the first one, this video was unsolicited and uncompensated, I just did it for fun and in case it may answer anyone questions. Also, I admit to posting this exact same message on RV.net.

Here's the link:My amateur Andersen Ultimate 2016 Update Video
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

I ordered the Anderson last night. This video was a big help. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
I ordered the Anderson last night. This video was a big help. Thank you. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great. If you are installing over a bed mat and particularly if you are also using a Curt Extender ball, because this changes the bed ball height, you need to let Andersen know that you require a sheared pin and a shortened inner square tube. If you didn't order direct from Andersen, I believe they will do a cross ship swap.

Also, if you are new to 5th wheel towing, be careful to close your tailgate after you drop on to the hitch but most importantly BEFORE you pull out. An open tailgate's corner can hit your trailer as you make that right turn out of your camping spot. So just hookup and CLOSE THE TAILGATE!!
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
Old 09-02-2016, 06:25 AM   #4

According to Jason, should not need the the extender with the block positioned the way you did yours. We'll see. This will be my first experience with a fifth wheel and I admit I'm a bit nervous. If it's ok, I might be asking questions as we go.
Thanks for all your help.
Les
Old 09-02-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
DDC

Very good video, your detailed explanations will be a great help to anyone contemplating this hitch which is becoming very popular, I'll give you a 10.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #6

Instead of starting a new Andersen Ultimate thread I'll ask my question here.

Anyone using the Andersen Ultimate with the TrailAir Air Ride pin box? And if so, how is the clearance with bed rails and tailgate?

And finally, is the Air Ride an overkill with the Andersen? I have ordered the Air Ride on a Cedar Creek 34RL2 but if it isn't need to reduce chucking I may drop that option.

And BTW, RAM factory gooseneck prep package doesn't not allow the 4" offset ball that seems to be a popular configuration.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #7

florabama you can call Andersen customer service and they will advise you on their experience with others that are using the TrailAir Air Ride. In my case, one of my issues was trying to get my Wildcat to tow level given how high the bed is on my 2015 GMC 2500HD 4x4. With the Andersen at the lowest ball height, my trailer sits about 1" to 2" nose high and that is acceptable. To add the TrailAir (I spoke with them) would raise the nose about another 3" from my current config so I passed. I did find that the 5th Airborne because its shock and airbag are internal (TrailAir is external) would not raise my nose. I do think the TrailAir design has advantages over the 5th Airborne but the downside is that additional height for me. In the end, I just never got around to adding either one. I can get some chucking on really bad roads but I'd say 90% of the time my ride is fine as is.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
florabama you can call Andersen customer service and they will advise you on their experience with others that are using the TrailAir Air Ride. ... To add the TrailAir (I spoke with them) would raise the nose about another 3" from my current config so I passed. I did find that the 5th Airborne because its shock and airbag are internal (TrailAir is external) would not raise my nose.
Excellent input, thank you. I did speak with two reps from Andersen and today Jason said the Trailair would be okay but I don't think he understood the specific model, therefore he didn't mention raising the nose height (3 inches).
So I just contacted my dealer and requested the Air Ride pin box option be removed from my order. Like yourself, if I see excessive chucking or movement after I get to towing I'll consider the 5th Airborne or a Moreride pin box.
And BTW, I have watched your video more than once and appreciate all the detail you included.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #9

Nice video...thanks for posting...I really like my UAH...easy to hook up and no noise while towing although when hooking up...the ball has to be pretty much deadon...
Old 10-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsue1 View Post
Nice video...thanks for posting...I really like my UAH...easy to hook up and no noise while towing although when hooking up...the ball has to be pretty much deadon...
bobsue1 Andersen has an adapter so you no longer have to have "the ball..pretty much dead on"

You can call or email Andersen customer service (Jason is the one that usually takes these inquiries) and ask about adding their new Funnel Adapter. For awhile they were offering the Funnel either free or heavily discounted to existing Andersen Ultimate users. I have it and boy does it make hookup easier. Highly recommended.

The Funnel is an upside-down dish shaped bowl that mounts onto the pinbox adapter you already have. With the funnel, when you backup to load your trailer all you need to do is be within about 3 inches of the hole. As the trailer drops down onto the ball it is captured by the bowl and slides into the hole.

Andersen posted this youtube of the adapter in action about 6 months ago. Here's the link Andersen Funnel In Action
Old 10-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #11

Anyone here using and Anderson Ultimate to tow a wide body 100" 5th wheel with a 2014-2017 Ram 2500-3500 short bed 4X4 and factory gooseneck/5th wheel prep. I was all ready to purchase an Anderson but I am concerned with clearance issues when turning. And clearance issues with bed side rails if the adapter is turned so the ball mount is behind the king pin, The 100" wide 5th wheels seems to create more clearance issues for some. Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated. I am not interested in a traditional 5th wheel hitch IE B&W only other alternative would be a reese goosebox.

I have read about about a person with a 2015 Chevy 2500 that had all sorts of clearance issues. With the adapter ball behind the king pin his pin box would contract the bed rails, with adapter ball infront of the king pin his turning radius was 50-60 degrees only. I have a 2015 ram truck with the factory 5th wheel prep so a 4" off set ball is not an option.

Anyone with experience towing something comparable with a comparable truck would be greatly appreciated.
Skidooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooman View Post
...I have read about about a person with a 2015 Chevy 2500 that had all sorts of clearance issues. With the adapter ball behind the king pin his pin box would contract the bed rails, with adapter ball infront of the king pin his turning radius was 50-60 degrees only...
For my 2015 GMC, the std. bed length is 6.6 feet. The bed rail issue relates to the design of the mor-ryde pin box that was factory for my Wildcat, not the Andersen. The bed rail issue was easily solved by the Curt Extenda-Ball (4"). I understand the Extenda Ball is not an option for Ram factory bed prep but may not be needed depending on what Kingbox is installed. BTW my turning radius with no Curt and with the ball in-front of the kingpin was about 80% and clearance at 80% was related to the sculpted design of the 5th wheels nose.

To understand issues related to a Ram one would need to know what cab size and what bed length.

For most questions, a call to Andersen Customer Support (speak to Jason) will get you the answers. With 18,000 Andersen Ultimates on the road, they have documented which configurations are acceptable and for those which installation option works best.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
For my 2015 GMC, the std. bed length is 6.6 feet. The bed rail issue relates to the design of the mor-ryde pin box that was factory for my Wildcat, not the Andersen. The bed rail issue was easily solved by the Curt Extenda-Ball (4"). I understand the Extenda Ball is not an option for Ram factory bed prep but may not be needed depending on what Kingbox is installed. BTW my turning radius with no Curt and with the ball in-front of the kingpin was about 80% and clearance at 80% was related to the sculpted design of the 5th wheels nose.

To understand issues related to a Ram one would need to know what cab size and what bed length.

For most questions, a call to Andersen Customer Support (speak to Jason) will get you the answers. With 18,000 Andersen Ultimates on the road, they have documented which configurations are acceptable and for those which installation option works best.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate you commenting with your experience. I think part of the clearance issue comes from the fact that the 5th wheel in question is 100" wide instead of 96" 2" doesnt sound like much but when it is turned I guess that can make a difference. I have also heard that the chevy bed rails are closer to each other than a Ram or Ford I haven't verified that though. However I would like to cover most of my bases before spring and I go pick up the trailer. We purchased it but decided to finish camping season in our TT and let the dealer store the 5th wheel until spring.

Thanks for your help again, I was planning on contacting Anderson on Monday. The other option I have considered was a goosebox but there is no offset to that, I am having a hard time finding much info about it. There are lovers and haters of the Anderson. I dont care about the pros and cons if I can use that hitch that is what I would like to do. I don't expect 90 degree turns but the closer to 90 the better.
Skidooman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications