Old 10-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #11

Anyone here using and Anderson Ultimate to tow a wide body 100" 5th wheel with a 2014-2017 Ram 2500-3500 short bed 4X4 and factory gooseneck/5th wheel prep. I was all ready to purchase an Anderson but I am concerned with clearance issues when turning. And clearance issues with bed side rails if the adapter is turned so the ball mount is behind the king pin, The 100" wide 5th wheels seems to create more clearance issues for some. Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated. I am not interested in a traditional 5th wheel hitch IE B&W only other alternative would be a reese goosebox.

I have read about about a person with a 2015 Chevy 2500 that had all sorts of clearance issues. With the adapter ball behind the king pin his pin box would contract the bed rails, with adapter ball infront of the king pin his turning radius was 50-60 degrees only. I have a 2015 ram truck with the factory 5th wheel prep so a 4" off set ball is not an option.

Anyone with experience towing something comparable with a comparable truck would be greatly appreciated.

Skidooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #12
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooman View Post
...I have read about about a person with a 2015 Chevy 2500 that had all sorts of clearance issues. With the adapter ball behind the king pin his pin box would contract the bed rails, with adapter ball infront of the king pin his turning radius was 50-60 degrees only...
For my 2015 GMC, the std. bed length is 6.6 feet. The bed rail issue relates to the design of the mor-ryde pin box that was factory for my Wildcat, not the Andersen. The bed rail issue was easily solved by the Curt Extenda-Ball (4"). I understand the Extenda Ball is not an option for Ram factory bed prep but may not be needed depending on what Kingbox is installed. BTW my turning radius with no Curt and with the ball in-front of the kingpin was about 80% and clearance at 80% was related to the sculpted design of the 5th wheels nose.

To understand issues related to a Ram one would need to know what cab size and what bed length.

For most questions, a call to Andersen Customer Support (speak to Jason) will get you the answers. With 18,000 Andersen Ultimates on the road, they have documented which configurations are acceptable and for those which installation option works best.

Hope this helps.

Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; 4-Fold Tonneau; 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox & CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; Andersen UltimateII Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball; LCI Ground Control3 4pt+2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; King Dishtailgater; 10ft. Portabote w/5hp Outboard; Dual A/C; Furrion48 Rearcam; Champion 3100 Inverter w/DIY Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
For my 2015 GMC, the std. bed length is 6.6 feet. The bed rail issue relates to the design of the mor-ryde pin box that was factory for my Wildcat, not the Andersen. The bed rail issue was easily solved by the Curt Extenda-Ball (4"). I understand the Extenda Ball is not an option for Ram factory bed prep but may not be needed depending on what Kingbox is installed. BTW my turning radius with no Curt and with the ball in-front of the kingpin was about 80% and clearance at 80% was related to the sculpted design of the 5th wheels nose.

To understand issues related to a Ram one would need to know what cab size and what bed length.

For most questions, a call to Andersen Customer Support (speak to Jason) will get you the answers. With 18,000 Andersen Ultimates on the road, they have documented which configurations are acceptable and for those which installation option works best.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate you commenting with your experience. I think part of the clearance issue comes from the fact that the 5th wheel in question is 100" wide instead of 96" 2" doesnt sound like much but when it is turned I guess that can make a difference. I have also heard that the chevy bed rails are closer to each other than a Ram or Ford I haven't verified that though. However I would like to cover most of my bases before spring and I go pick up the trailer. We purchased it but decided to finish camping season in our TT and let the dealer store the 5th wheel until spring.

Thanks for your help again, I was planning on contacting Anderson on Monday. The other option I have considered was a goosebox but there is no offset to that, I am having a hard time finding much info about it. There are lovers and haters of the Anderson. I dont care about the pros and cons if I can use that hitch that is what I would like to do. I don't expect 90 degree turns but the closer to 90 the better.

Skidooman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications