Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #21

I purchased my first 5th wheel camper last summer. I was looking at 3,000$ heavy slider hitches when i was introduced to my anderson ultimate. I love it. mounts easily to the rails in my truck leaving a clean bed for other uses. Hooking and unhooking is a breeze and my 5th wheel tows like a dream.

I want an engineer to explain how two 4" offests makes up for some slider hitchs that have like 36" of movement? I have never had a clearance issue with my cab and what started this whole thing was towing a 5th wheel with Ram's shortest bed.

I sold my 8k lb 5th wheel and am mounting rails on my new HD truck and using the anderson on my new 11K lb 5th wheel and looking forward to it.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.mcintosh40 View Post
Actually all his problems would of been solved by calling Andersen and they would of traded his hitch out for the low profile hitch for flat bed trucks. They wouldn't have charged him a dollar heard from many people they do it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forest River Forums mobile app

That's exactly what they did for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Here's my problem with chains. 7000 pound truck 14,000 pound fifth wheel. You have lost control and guess who wins?
In your scenario, does your hitch come apart or does it remain intact and hitched?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #24
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I've used mine for a year now with no issues. I love the fact that it's lightweight and easy to remove.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Here's my problem with chains. 7000 pound truck 14,000 pound fifth wheel. You have lost control and guess who wins?
X2, I guess if I ever chose to use an Andersen I would not use the chains. I look at the previous post of the chain set up and it scares me. Someone asks if your hitch comes apart or stays attached to the truck in your scenario? Who cares, let's assume it stays intact. Isn't that the purpose of the chains? If their purpose is to break then what is their purpose?

I look at chains on a bumper pull as a possible system to hold the tongue up at least enough to allow you to pull over. If the 5ver comes loose I would think the landing gears are going to dig into the road and you are tied to that mass. No thanks.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #26

While I don't disagree there are some states that it's the law and chains are required. I'm not sure which ones they are but really don't care. If I were going through one of these that requires chains and had an injury accident you know who's going to get penalized the worst and end up on the short side of the stick. If the law changes then I'll remove them but until that happens $70 is way cheaper than a ticket for not having them. It's not much different than being overweight when lawyers get involved.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #27
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Can someone find a list of states that requires chains? When i originally ordered mine I talked to Andersen and I was told that in the United States chains were not required because it was a fifth wheel hitch so I didn't order the chains with mine.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #28

Yes that would be good to know. So far Texas and South Dakota have been mentioned but I never checked myself.

Bob & Cindy
Old 01-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #29
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I sent Andersen an email just now asking. I'll post once I have a reply.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #30

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.mcintosh40 View Post
Actually all his problems would of been solved by calling Andersen and they would of traded his hitch out for the low profile hitch for flat bed trucks. They wouldn't have charged him a dollar heard from many people they do it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forest River Forums mobile app

I appreciate this suggestion. I did consider the shorter flat bed version, but it only addressed the ride height of the trailers front end. It wouldn't have done anything for every other "problem" I mentioned. The biggest of which was the pin box hitting the side rails of my rollback bed cover (due to the offset of the Andersen). In fact, a lower ride height would have made this issue even worse.

This picture of a Retrax Pro side rail like mine might illustrate better what I'm referring to.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #31

If you are concerned with the legality of the chains, but also concerned with their effect in an accident then put some light weight chains on it.

I roll without them.

I have been very happy with mine, although I have never towed an RV with a true 5th wheel hitch to compare it too. I must say that I read allot of stuff on message boards about people having issues with their traditional hitches (noise, movement, latching, chucking, grease, etc), but I feel confident that I won't have to deal with any of those.

Happy camping!

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #32

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...section/393.70
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #33

I'm thinking this is good news?? Not sure

Bob & Cindy
Old 01-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #34

Bottom line you've got a fifth wheel that weighs more than your truck you going 60 miles an hour and that fifth wheel has a lot of inertia If it gets lose the best thing that can happen is to let it loose. You cannot control 12,000 pounds of inertia and deadweight with a 7000 pound truck.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #35

I said something similar on here months ago and was reminded I was thinking only of my trailer and my setup, and not thinking of the folks 'in the other lane'.

I have experienced on a heavy utility trailer what happens to safety chains. Mine snapped at the weld on the trailer, and were left hanging off of the truck. I'd have to guess something similar would happen to a heavy travel trailer, but don't know. And don't want to know for sure!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #36

Andersen Ultimate Failures

After being reminded that bumper pull hitch chains hold the tongue off the ground so you can move over to the shoulder and not have the tongue dig in I started thinking about the Andersen chains. I can't measure them right now but think they are less than 4' long. The height of the overhang above my top rail is at the most 6" and my landing gear are going to be more than 10" to the ground. If my gooseneck adapter broke the 5th wheel would drop down and hit the bed rails keeping the landing gear from touching the ground and allow the driver to move over to the shoulder without risking the trailer causing a head on accident.

This would seem like it's very similar to the results of a bumper tow breaking since the 5th wheel is still connected to the TV and also being held up buy the TV bed rails just like the bumper hitch chains are holding up the tongue. Why can't this be the senecio instead of the total destruction of TV and the 5th wheel rig?

http://www.truckaccidentlaw.org/blog...railer-safety/

Bob & Cindy
Old 01-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
After being reminded that bumper pull hitch chains hold the tongue off the ground so you can move over to the shoulder and not have the tongue dig in I started thinking about the Andersen chains. I can't measure them right now but think they are less than 4' long. The height of the overhang above my top rail is at the most 6" and my landing gear are going to be more than 10" to the ground. If my gooseneck adapter broke the 5th wheel would drop down and hit the bed rails keeping the landing gear from touching the ground and allow the driver to move over to the shoulder without risking the trailer causing a head on accident.

This would seem like it's very similar to the results of a bumper tow breaking since the 5th wheel is still connected to the TV and also being held up buy the TV bed rails just like the bumper hitch chains are holding up the tongue. Why can't this be the senecio instead of the total destruction of TV and the 5th wheel rig?

New Virginia Law Requires Emergency Chain for Truck & Vehicle Trailer Safety - Truck Accident Lawyer News

It says nothing about chains here: "The fifth wheel, drawbar, trailer hitch, or similar device must (i) be structurally adequate for the weight being drawn, (ii) be properly and securely mounted, (iii) provide for adequate articulation at the connection without excessive slack at that location, and (iv) be provided with a locking device that prevents accidental separation of the towed and towing vehicles. The mounting of the fifth wheel, drawbar, trailer hitch, or similar device on the towing vehicle must include reinforcement or bracing of the frame sufficient to produce strength and rigidity of the frame to prevent its undue distortion.

The foregoing provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any farm tractor, as defined in § 46.2-100, when such farm tractor is towing any farm implement or farm machinery by means of a drawbar coupled with a safety hitch pin or manufacturer’s coupling device or (ii) any tow truck towing a vehicle by means of a wheel lift apparatus that employs a safety strap to hold two of the towed vehicle’s wheels within a wheel lift cradle in a manner consistent with instructions of the manufacturer of such wheel lift apparatus."

As far as a 5th goes I know a guy who recently had his 5th fail and it crashed on to his bed rails. With luck he was at slow speed and pulled to the side of the road an about $12,000 later all is as good as new...

Q. If the plate lock fails will the tabernacle be strong enough to handle the now kinetic weight?

Q. Most refs I have read require the chains to be attached to the frame not to the tabernacle (makes sense to me). This is not easy, what punch holes thru the bed?

Finally, don't let the tail wag the dog...
Old 01-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post

New Virginia Law Requires Emergency Chain for Truck & Vehicle Trailer Safety - Truck Accident Lawyer News

I guess it "could" happen that way but just seems to many things working against you. When a bumper pull comes loose all the action and weight shifting is happening below your truck axles. If your 5ver comes loose and drops on your bed rails and the chains hold I wonder first off if it might initially lift your front axle off the road. Now you have this 5ver riding your rails above your axle and what is going to keep it going straight? The road has a crown and it will want to the curb. Now, you apply brakes and all that mass is dangling behind you and no telling how it will react.. long story short I just don't see TV winning.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #39

Andersen Ultimate Failures

Virginia Senate Bill 646 was recently passed in an effort to improve trailer safety while travelling on Virginia Highways and roads. In the past Virginia roads were unsafe because vehicles hauling trailers were not required to use any type of chain or cable that would make sure the trailer remained connected to a vehicle while in transit. As a result unnecessary vehicle accidents occurred resulting in severe injuries and death.

The new law now requires that all trailers have an emergency chain or cable that is capable of keeping the trailer attached to the truck or vehicle when on the road.

The above was taken directly from the link and I ran across it by accident. It just seems on topic since Virginia passed a bill requiring safety chains on all trailers.

As far as my senecio goes what do you think? Wouldn't the chains potentially keep the 5th wheel on the bed rails and prevent the landing gear from touching the ground?

Bob & Cindy
Old 01-22-2017, 02:52 AM   #40
Oklahoma Proud

I don't have an andersen, i use a b&w companionship and i pull normal gooseneck trailers too.
I'd advise chains to anyone using the andersen or a gooseneck.

Being in the collision industry, I've seen a lot of trailer involved wrecks.

And while you all arn't thinking about it at all, in most wrecks when you are pulling a trailer.....the trailer goes forward towards the cab. Those chains keep that hitch from smashing your head in. Granted they might not provide the necessary load requirements to hold a 14,000 trailer, but add the hitch restrictions, the smashing of the cab and maybe a toolbox.....and those chains will save your life.

Most wrecks with a trailer while going down the road arnt from trailers coming off a hitch. Its from the tow vehicle running into something.
Just giving another view to those that don't consider all the stuff involved in wreck science!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote