Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

Andersen Ultimate Hitch Owners - A safety chain question

We've pulled the trigger on a new fifth wheel and will be taking delivery late this month. It's an SOB, (sorry) but it's one that best suits our needs. I've done my research and have decided to go with an Andersen for many reasons. My question is about safety chains for this setup - it seems to be something for debate. Those of you with an AUH, do you use safety chains? If not, why? If so, what setup are you using? Andersen offer a chain kit that, I'm lead to believe, requires cutting a 3" hole in the base to use the factory pucks. Some question that action, and use an aftermarket gooseneck ball that has a bracket under it to attach the chains. That process also seems to have it's nay sayers as well. Educate me please and thank you!
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #2

Andersen Ultimate Hitch Owners - A safety chain question

I have this chain kit. No mods needed. Ezpz. https://andersenhitches.com/Products...ith-plate.aspx

There’s a lot of gray area about whether chains are required or not. The local place here in Texas where I bought my hitch from told me don’t bother with them.

I mainly bought them Just in case I get stopped either in Texas or another state and the officer insists I have to have them.

$140 is cheap insurance for not wasting my time sitting on the roadside . I don’t routinely use them but they are in my trailer and quick to install if necessary. I do leave the plate installed all the time.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Site Team

I use chains. As I understand, some states require them and some don't but the $60+ I spent should keep me from having the required/not required discussion with a trooper beside the highway. I have a B&W Turnover ball goose-neck under-bed hitch which came with two chain loops. Four little holes had to be drilled into my bed for these loops.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I use chains. As I understand, some states require them and some don't but the $60+ I spent should keep me from having the required/not required discussion with a trooper beside the highway. I have a B&W Turnover ball goose-neck under-bed hitch which came with two chain loops. Four little holes had to be drilled into my bed for these loops.

I have the same set up and always use the chains.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
I have this chain kit. No mods needed. Ezpz. https://andersenhitches.com/Products...ith-plate.aspx

There’s a lot of gray area about whether chains are required or not. The local place here in Texas where I bought my hitch from told me don’t bother with them.

I mainly bought them Just in case I get stopped either in Texas or another state and the officer insists I have to have them.

$140 is cheap insurance for not wasting my time sitting on the roadside . I don’t routinely use them but they are in my trailer and quick to install if necessary. I do leave the plate installed all the time.
Thanks for the link. I saw that plate on the Andersen site but didn't see that particular picture, so I was unsure of how it actually was installed.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I use cables instead of chains. They have a rubber sleeve and curl. Less noise rattle and easy to store. I bought the pin adapter bolts with loops from Andersen. My hitch is a turnover ball and came with the loops to attach the cables to.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #7

I'm not sure why or how your trailer is not equipped with safety chains but they should be relatively easy to install. Here's a closeup of a photo I took of my installation of the Andersen WDH on my enclosed car hauler. The yellow arrow points to the slightly rusted safety chain it came equipped with and I simply attached those to the rings on my tow car like I would with any ball coupler. I subsequently spray-painted the chain with silver rustoleum to arrest further rust, but really the existing rust is just surface rust and doesn't affect the integrity of the chain.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I have no chain setup for my Reese Slider hitch.

Never knew that they might be mandatory for a standard 5'ver hitch, and I've never seen anyone with chains on a regular 5'ver hitch.

I almost bought the Anderson this year at a camping rally...think I'll stick with my monster hitch for now.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
I'm not sure why or how your trailer is not equipped with safety chains but they should be relatively easy to install. Here's a closeup of a photo I took of my installation of the Andersen WDH on my enclosed car hauler. The yellow arrow points to the slightly rusted safety chain it came equipped with and I simply attached those to the rings on my tow car like I would with any ball coupler. I subsequently spray-painted the chain with silver rustoleum to arrest further rust, but really the existing rust is just surface rust and doesn't affect the integrity of the chain.
Our current TT has chains, but we're going to a 5th wheel,,,,
Old 11-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I have no chain setup for my Reese Slider hitch.

Never knew that they might be mandatory for a standard 5'ver hitch, and I've never seen anyone with chains on a regular 5'ver hitch.

I almost bought the Anderson this year at a camping rally...think I'll stick with my monster hitch for now.
My understanding is they are not required on a standard 5th wheel hitch, but some states require chains on ball mount hitches. It seems to be a grey area.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #11

I do not use safety chains with my flagstaff 8528. Ive only towed this 5th wheel trailer about 6 months. I am going to reconsider this decision assuming the base of the hitch does not cover the factory tie down locations in the bed of my new truck.

I do have a seperate question since I noticed you have a truck similar to my new one. I originally had my Andersen set up for my 2015 F250 and two weeks ago traded it for a 2019 Chevy 3500 LTZ 4x4 Dually. The F250 with 20" wheels may have sat a little higher in the bed and I mounted my ball in the lowest setting on the Andersen frame. I know there are differences in setup on different trailers, but wondered what hole setting do you use to set the ball height for your fifth wheel and 3500?

Thanks! Rick
2016 Micro Lite 25DKS (sold)
rmillermtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #12

I thought of another question to clarify my understanding of what you said in your original post. With the factory puck system that we both have, is it necessary to cut holes in the base of the Andersen hitch to access either the front or rear pucks?

I wonder if Andersen has any other solutions than cutting holes in the base. I may give them a call.

Thanks Rick
Old 11-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmillermtsu View Post
I thought of another question to clarify my understanding of what you said in your original post. With the factory puck system that we both have, is it necessary to cut holes in the base of the Andersen hitch to access either the front or rear pucks?

I wonder if Andersen has any other solutions than cutting holes in the base. I may give them a call.

Thanks Rick

If you call, ask for Jason.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:

Thanks Rick
That's what I've read. They do offer a bracket that goes under the hitch, over the ball. Some say that's not good enough since you are relying in the ball for safety, vs the frame of the truck. dunno.... That's why I'm asking questions to learn.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #15

Just spoke to a person named Spencer. He told me he was aware of only one incident in the entire history of this hitch where law enforcement questioned the setup on a vehicle not having safety chains. He is not aware of any reported incidents of the hitch failing that required the need for safety chains. Sorry for my long winded jibber jabber. I understand now that the plate kit Andersen offers will be all that is necessary without cutting holes in the hitch. Amazon has the complete plate and chain kit for $119.99 with free shipping. I think this is cheap insurance and will order it.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Just spoke to a person named Spencer. He told me he was aware of only one incident in the entire history of this hitch where law enforcement questioned the setup on a vehicle not having safety chains. He is not aware of any reported incidents of the hitch failing that required the need for safety chains. Sorry for my long winded jibber jabber. I understand now that the plate kit Andersen offers will be all that is necessary without cutting holes in the hitch. Amazon has the complete plate and chain kit for $119.99 with free shipping. I think this is cheap insurance and will order it.
And that's what I did this afternoon.

Tags
hitch, safety