Old 02-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #1

Andersen Ultimate vs other 5th Wheel Hitches

I'm brand new to the Forest River Forum and have been RV'ing for only 3-4 years. I just bought a Rockwood 8299BS...in fact I haven't even picked it up yet. They are installing a couple things...backup camera, class III receiver hitch in the back and moving my Anderson block from my old 5th wheel to the Rockwood. I'm re-thinking the Anderson Ultimate hitch due to what I consider to be excessive tipping on uneven ground. It seems like the standard 5th wheel hitch is more stable in side-to-side movement. If I move to a standard hitch, I'll have to either buy a B&W Companion hitch because of the B&W gooseneck currently installed in the bed to accommodate the Anderson system or start over. I enjoy the utility value of my current system by removing the Anderson hitch, turning the gooseneck ball over and getting my flat bed back for hauling stuff. I would like to take advantage of the Reese Revolution on my new Rockwood but I'm told it's incompatible with the B&W Companion. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

I can't help your questions, as I am new to fifth wheels (picking mine up Saturday). However, I wanted to ask about the class III hitch install you are having done.

Is the Rockwood new? Is the dealer installing the hitch, and if so did they give you any grief over it? The reason I am asking is because I would like to do the same, but for some reason didn't even think to get the dealer to do it. I figured I would just have a friend of mine (welder / trailer builder) weld it on after the frame warranty ran out.

I hope this doesn't derail your thread too much, and if so we can take it to Private Message.

BTW... I'm planning to use an Andersen.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 02-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #3

Let's discuss this in private message. I think they'd like to keep the thread pure related to the Anderson vs other hitches. I can answer questions related to my Anderson experiences if you'd....like.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
Site Team

If you do any searches on this subject, be sure and spell AndersEn with an "e" in the last syllable the way the company spells it. While some people spell it in their posts with an "o" toward the end, you'll miss some good information if you don't search for "Andersen".

I have used my Andersen Ultimate for 6800 miles of towing with absolutely no issues.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:14 AM   #5

Thanks...."e" not "o". I had it correct in the title of the post but goofed later on. I should know that...it's plastered all over the hitch and box I still have. Have you done any off road stuff to unimproved campsites, etc? My experience on paved roads and freeways are also good. The small movements of the camper due to wind, road undulations, etc tend to leave the truck alone and provides a smooth ride.

How much clearance do you have between the bottom of your camper and the truck bed? I've currently got 7 1/2". That seems to be adequate except in bad conditions. I just slow down to a couple miles per hour and that seems to take care of it. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #6

Hensley BD3 Air hitch

I bought a Hensley BD3 Last year. Also had the MOR ryde IS and hydraulic brakes put on. I believe this is about as good as it gets. Had an onboard air tank and pump put on with internal cab controls for the hitch and the air springs. Wish we had done this several years ago - we are full timers. I recommend this to anyone towing large fifth wheels. We have a 2013 40' Sanibel 3400. Love the hitch - highly recommend it.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstaffon View Post
Have you done any off road stuff to unimproved campsites, etc? My experience on paved roads and freeways are also good. The small movements of the camper due to wind, road undulations, etc tend to leave the truck alone and provides a smooth ride.

How much clearance do you have between the bottom of your camper and the truck bed? I've currently got 7 1/2". That seems to be adequate except in bad conditions. I just slow down to a couple miles per hour and that seems to take care of it. Thanks!
jstaffon, the answer is No... I don't do any off road stuff. I'm too old for that. I don't mind pulling my 5th wheel 1000 miles on good road BUT the closest thing to off-roading I've done is crossing the concrete gullies between the pavement and some gas stations.

I'll have to measure my camper to truck bed clearance in March when I put the Andersen Ultimate frame back in the truck and hook up for a trip. I will say that I have nicked the plastic cover on the top of my bed rail coming out of a gas station but so has uncle Fred who doesn't use an Andersen Ultimate.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #8

JohnByers,
Awesome hitch! Thanks for that info. I've seen those from time to time buy never got to talk to the owners. I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:03 PM   #9

I like the side movements the Andersen allows. I turn my RV around in a field before backing into my space and need lots of side movement without binding. The Andersen is great for this feature. Love this product.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #10
Site Team

the Andersen doesn't work if you need a slider does it?

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel