Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

Andersen WDH and 32' TT : Alternative Hitches?

Hi all. I have a GMC Sierra 1500 towing a Heartland North Trail 28brs. Trailer is 32', has a 6900 GVWR and the GMC has a 11,800 tow rating. On our first trip with the Andersen hitch I was pleased with sway stability but there was some "porpoising" over bumps with the truck and trailer rocking front to rear. I'm thinking this may be due to the lack of weight transfer that is a concern with the Andersen hitch. I think I may replace the Andersen with another hitch and I am looking for suggestions. I've had good luck with the Equal-I-Zer when I had my Rockwood but I know there are newer designs out there. Thoughts?

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #2

I had the same thing with my 2013 F150. I was towing a longer and heavier TT, though. I added air bags and Rancho RS9000XL shocks. Cranked the shocks all the way up when towing. It was ROCK SOLID after doing that. The Andersen is known for having problems transferring enough weight back to the front. I was using the Equalizer 4 point. I'd still try the bags and shocks- it's going to be a major improvement regardless, I think.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudston View Post
Hi all. I have a GMC Sierra 1500 towing a Heartland North Trail 28brs. Trailer is 32', has a 6900 GVWR and the GMC has a 11,800 tow rating. On our first trip with the Andersen hitch I was pleased with sway stability but there was some "porpoising" over bumps with the truck and trailer rocking front to rear. I'm thinking this may be due to the lack of weight transfer that is a concern with the Andersen hitch. I think I may replace the Andersen with another hitch and I am looking for suggestions. I've had good luck with the Equal-I-Zer when I had my Rockwood but I know there are newer designs out there. Thoughts?
any porpoising you had had do to with your TV suspension if you go to the equalizar it will just make the porpoising worse as the bars add to the effect not take away from it . having over 6500 miles with the andersen i can say it prevents porpoising and does not add to it . how good are your shocks ?
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #4

With traditional spring bars (with or without integrated sway control), porpoising is typically due to being near or over the TW rating of your WDH. For this reason, I always recommend you spec the WDH kit to be at least 100 lbs over your actual or estimated loaded TW.

In this case, with the Andersen, you probably are not transferring near enough weight, and the rear suspension is taking more weight than was intended. Did you get the front wheel wells back to stock height?

Adding airbags may take care of your symptom, but if your not transferring enough weight, airbags won't help with that. I recommend you get a spring-bar-type WDH with integrated sway control (Equalizer, Dual-Cam, Blue Ox, etc).
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
With traditional spring bars (with or without integrated sway control), porpoising is typically due to being near or over the TW rating of your WDH. For this reason, I always recommend you spec the WDH kit to be at least 100 lbs over your actual or estimated loaded TW.

In this case, with the Andersen, you probably are not transferring near enough weight, and the rear suspension is taking more weight than was intended. Did you get the front wheel wells back to stock height?

Adding airbags may take care of your symptom, but if your not transferring enough weight, airbags won't help with that. I recommend you get a spring-bar-type WDH with integrated sway control (Equalizer, Dual-Cam, Blue Ox, etc).
Front wheel wells are about 1/4" high and rear about 1.5" low. Tongue weight is 700 lb. so it is well under the Anderson's rating.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
Old 05-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
any porpoising you had had do to with your TV suspension if you go to the equalizar it will just make the porpoising worse as the bars add to the effect not take away from it . having over 6500 miles with the andersen i can say it prevents porpoising and does not add to it . how good are your shocks ?
The truck has only 2400 miles so the shocks are new. When I was using the Equal-I-Zer I towed a Rockwood 2601 (29') with a Yukon and did not have this problem. The Yukon did have HD shocks and Timbrens but my current truck has a much longer wheelbase.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
Old 05-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #7

I added air bags to my setup and with max tire pressure, I don't get porpoising anymore with my Andersen. My tw is about the same as yours with gas and the batteries.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #8

I added super springs in the rear to stiffen things up as I felt like i had too much movement. Talk to the people there- very nice and had more options for me than I would expect. Went with sumosprings in rear and my drive ability improved from not moving as much. Very happy.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:15 AM   #9
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Tighten the Andersen compression bushings more. How many threads can you see? I ran at 5-6 showing in smooth roads but would often pull over and crank them down a thread or two to compensate rough roads or windy days.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #10

Quote:
The truck has only 2400 miles so the shocks are new. When I was using the Equal-I-Zer I towed a Rockwood 2601 (29') with a Yukon and did not have this problem. The Yukon did have HD shocks and Timbrens but my current truck has a much longer wheelbase.
Age of shocks has nothing to do with it. Stock shocks are designed primarily for a soft ride. The Rancho RS9000XL's are adjustable so you can crank them up to be much stiffer when towing but then back down for a plush ride when unloaded. There are options other than air bags, just keep in mind that none of the others will allow you to adjust ride height. I prefer bags because I can actually raise the truck back to whatever height I want. The other systems require compression of the rear suspension to engage.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #11

Last year I acquired a new travel trailer which is a bit heavier than the one it replaced. I owned a 10000 Equalizer and used that with the new trailer. With that hitch I too had excessive porpoising. I went to the scales and found that my tongue weight was right at the max for that hitch and I was also not getting adequate weight transfer back to the front, even with the max number of washers setting, as verified at the CAT scale. I then tried an Andersen hitch. With that I still had porpoising and the CAT scale showed even less weight transfer. My family voted for the Equalizer in back to back comparison. Being adventurous, I then decided to try a Blue Ox 15000. With that one, I got no porpoising, a good ride and proper weight transfer. However, I didn't like the handling quite as much as I was used to with either the Equalizer or the Andersen. So, I decided to return to a larger Equalizer. I went with the 12000 lb version. With that I get proper weight transfer, no porpoising and excellent handling. I'm very happy with the present setup. It handles so well that my wife is happy to drive, which I could never get her to do with any of the previous setups. Based on my experiences, I'd highly recommend that you again go with an Equalizer. Just make sure that your tongue weight is well lower than the max rating for the hitch, or porpoising will result. You need to weigh to know the actual tongue weight. Mine is about 150 lbs higher than the Forest River specified tongue weight. Good luck
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #12

Hitch Suggestion

I've got a small SUV pulling a Roo 17 and was pushing the limits w/r to capacity so I looked into various WDH options. I was using a older Reese with friction sway control and changed to a Reese Strait-Line with the Dual Cam Sway control and it has made a world of difference. Can't say it's for you but it's no sweat no strain and can backup without removing anything. Best of luck with your search.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Front wheel wells are about 1/4" high and rear about 1.5" low. Tongue weight is 700 lb. so it is well under the Anderson's rating.
IIRC, the Andersen only comes in 1 version, up to 1400 lbs. But that only means nothing will break thru 1400 lbs TW. That does not mean that it's working effectively thru 1400 lbs TW, to transfer adequate weight.

It's a fine hitch as far as being light, easy to use, and preventing sway. But it's been shown to be lacking in it's ability to transfer weight, which is the primary purpose of a WDH.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #14

If you want total control and peace of mind, the Pro Pride 3P is the answer! Expensive, but well worth it for driving comfort and safety. Totally changed the towing experience for me!

We tow a FR Wildcat Maxx 28RKX (33' long) with a Ram 1500.
cjmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:01 PM   #15

I will agree that Anderson does have trouble getting most weight transferred back to the front axles when TT has a 800+ TW and in use with half tons. Have never heard a complaint from 3/4 or 1 tons.

As a owner of a half ton, I am happy with my setup and what the Anderson provides me.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
Last year I acquired a new travel trailer which is a bit heavier than the one it replaced. I owned a 10000 Equalizer and used that with the new trailer. With that hitch I too had excessive porpoising. I went to the scales and found that my tongue weight was right at the max for that hitch and I was also not getting adequate weight transfer back to the front, even with the max number of washers setting, as verified at the CAT scale. I then tried an Andersen hitch. With that I still had porpoising and the CAT scale showed even less weight transfer. My family voted for the Equalizer in back to back comparison. Being adventurous, I then decided to try a Blue Ox 15000. With that one, I got no porpoising, a good ride and proper weight transfer. However, I didn't like the handling quite as much as I was used to with either the Equalizer or the Andersen. So, I decided to return to a larger Equalizer. I went with the 12000 lb version. With that I get proper weight transfer, no porpoising and excellent handling. I'm very happy with the present setup. It handles so well that my wife is happy to drive, which I could never get her to do with any of the previous setups. Based on my experiences, I'd highly recommend that you again go with an Equalizer. Just make sure that your tongue weight is well lower than the max rating for the hitch, or porpoising will result. You need to weigh to know the actual tongue weight. Mine is about 150 lbs higher than the Forest River specified tongue weight. Good luck
WOW, where have you been all our lives?!?!
This is by far the best comparison of multiple WDH kits, on the same tow vehicle and trailer. And I think it presents the answer to the OP.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Tighten the Andersen compression bushings more. How many threads can you see? I ran at 5-6 showing in smooth roads but would often pull over and crank them down a thread or two to compensate rough roads or windy days.
Crank her down, I run with 9 threads showing and no issues. Don't be afraid to crank down and get the weight transferred back to the front.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #18

Thanks for all of the great replies. Very helpful. The 700 lb. tongue weight I measured with a Sherline tongue scale. I contacted Andersen and they are sending me new urethane springs which are stiffer than the ones I have. I also am contemplating installing air bags on the rear to firm up the suspension. If these mods don't do the trick I will replace the hitch. I want to keep the Andersen due to it's light weight. Also, the Andersen folks have been great. They are also sending me new brake material. Thanks again & happy camping!

2015 GMC Sierra 1500

Tags
hitch