Old 08-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #11

DieselDrax and all -Before I purchased my Anderson hitch, I talked with Anderson tech support a couple times and once with the dealer. The local dealer told me that the oldest generation liner uses what he described as a type of brake material and that it had broken down under some circumstances. The Anderson tech support shared that the next generation was red and they did have some trouble with that usually with heavy hitch weight and lots of miles. The newest is a white plastic material and he seemed confident that would be best of the three. Time will tell.

Anderson WD Hitch
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #12

First off, donít put any grease on the ball. If the grease gets warm and melts, it will go right into the friction liner.

Next, did you buy your Anderson hitch new or used? I know they had a black friction liner that made a ton of noise when wet. They were quick to come up with new liner.

Now my unit is about 7500 lbs and I have just a bit of creaking but I also havenít cleaned up the liner in a while. Also, have a friend or spouse drive your TV while you walk next to it to make sure the noise is from the hitch. I had found that the leaf spring bushings in my unit had worn thru in just 6 months. So I upgraded to HD shackles and wet bolts to pit grease in between. No more noise. Some campers call us stealth cause they never hear us coming in or backing up.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:57 AM   #13

Andersen No Sway Hitch system

I have used the Andersen hitch for many, many miles, dozens of hook-up and unhooks. Absolutely no problems.

When I first set up the hitch and began using it I had several questions, and found that the customer service folks are top notch, and will give you clear and concise advice.

Follow the Andersen Manual exactly as written. (I do not agree with the procedure advised during by the "PDI guy" mentioned in a previous post).

I would recommend that you make up a check list for both hookup and unhooking until it becomes second nature, and utilize the Andersen tech service. Its great, free and only a phone call away.

By the way, the triangle plate straightens out after driving a turn or two. It does help to have the plate as straight as possible when unhooking. Do not lube the hitch ball. If you make a sharp turn when backing into a site, just maneuver a bit till it is close to straight, then back straight in and park.

Enjoy your hitch.
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #14

Thanks all for your input. I rechecked everything. Made sure all bolts are tight etc. I am certain it is coming from where the ball meets the trailer receiver. Upon inspection of my trailer receiver there is wear marks and bare metal up insdie mainly towards the back portion (towards the back of the trailer). This makes sense as the chains pull hard on the triangle plate which in turn pulls the ball against the back part of the trailer receiver. It is not my trailer springs on the trailer or the cone. I can actually start to hear the creaking when I lower the tongue down after tightening the chains. Even bouncing up and down on my hitch when connected causes the creaking and grinding. I heard many people say not to use grease and I understand the concept. Yes this ball rotates with the receiver so in theory there is no actual movement between the ball and trailer receiver. BUT there is plenty of movement driving over dips and bumps as the ball and receiver are the pivot point between the tv and trailer. So there is movement of some sort in there. And for me if there is any kind of movement between two metals, even the smallest, There should be a lubricant. Especially considering the amount of force the chains are pulling the ball towards the back part of the ball receiver and the weight on the ball itself. Putting some grease up in the ball receiver will not affect the anti sway in any way. The anti sway is done in the tapered cone. Andersen has called me back. He requested pictures of the ball. I also sent him the bare metal wear marks inside my ball receiver. I'm 95% certain this is causing the creaking when you consider the slight movement and pivoting up and down wise over dips and bumps. For those wondering if it was new? Yes brand new from Amazon (packaged and wrapped) and with the white cone which looks to be in good shape. I am going to clean out my trailer ball receiver and apply a little lithium grease up inside especially where the bare metal is showing. We will be camping this coming weekend and I will update. Maybe my theory is wrong but Ill let you know. Cheers
Johnhowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #15

Johnhowdy - Thanks for the update. Let us know what you discover as the source of the noise.
Anderson WD Hitch
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #16

I'd be interested in an update on applying the grease. I've thought about it but if I recall correctly, it explicitly states not to on my older version.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s GVWR
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #17

Howdy everyone. The rep at Andersen is adamant that it is the friction cone material making the creaking and popping sound. It is the white one that is in it now. I thought this one was supposed to be the latest material? It looked to be in pristine condition as far as I can tell but sent him pictures anyway as requested. I always take off the hitch as soon as I disconnect at campground and have never used it as a regular hitch. Leaving for the campground tomorrow and I am still going to put a dab of lithium grease up in the ball receiver on the trailer. Don't like seeing bare metal wear makes without grease. In the meantime, Andersen is sending a replacement cone. I will update the results with the grease application in the near future. Cheers
Old 08-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #18

Andersen WDH set up and creaking sound

FWIW, I have the red cone and itís silent.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #19

From the Andersen manual (page 5):

"DO NOT GREASE THE BALL OR COUPLER! Since the ball and coupler move together, there is no friction that would create a need for grease, and any grease that works its way into the ball housing can decrease the anti-sway abilities of the Andersen WD Hitch."

Outlined in red, mostly red font, with yellow highlights and a caution sign. May be an important note. Just sayin!

Vince
Old 08-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsandy View Post
From the Andersen manual (page 5):

"DO NOT GREASE THE BALL OR COUPLER! Since the ball and coupler move together, there is no friction that would create a need for grease, and any grease that works its way into the ball housing can decrease the anti-sway abilities of the Andersen WD Hitch."

Outlined in red, mostly red font, with yellow highlights and a caution sign. May be an important note. Just sayin!

Vince
But there is friction inside the ball and coupler. The wearing on half of the ball and in the coupler shows it. There has to be up and down movement and rocking when when going over dips and bumps. It's unavoidable. If that point of connection is completely secured then something is going to snap. In any case I'm just putting a little lithium grease up in the receiver to protect the that worn metal which obviously is a sign of friction. The lithium doesn't melt like other greases do and sticks better. Won't even put any on ball.