Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #1

Anderson Hitch with Long heavy trailer?

I have been reading on the Anderson hitch and would LOVE the features it offers for quiet and smooth ride while being light weight... Would love to see some actual data from real people using the Anderson on Big trailers. I really want to like it...

I have a F350 Screw with longbed and a 8327SS Rockwood at 9klbs loaded with a 1350lb tongue weight. Trailer is 35' long. The Truck has no problems pulling the trailer but the tongue is very heavy. My current hitch is a Equalizer hitch rated for 10k with 1k tongue. It came from my old trailer. I have no problems with the hitch but it does not put enough weight distribution back on the front. It looks a little low in the bed but pulls ok. SO I am looking at new setups.

The Big (and heavy) Equalizer, BlueOx or Anderson. I love the look of the Anderson I really want that hitch but my gut says it simply cant handle that amount of weight. Am i wrong? Almost every review I read is positive why am I hesitant? Blue Ox is cool looking and would work good. The Equalizer is simple and just works (but is heavy and noisy).

any thoughts?
Daniel
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Just give Dave Andersen a call. He is a straight shooter and will not mislead you. I pulled 7500#/800# tongue for three years and it was great. You can send him an email with a simple contact on their web site. He will answer you personally.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedaniel View Post
I have been reading on the Anderson hitch and would LOVE the features it offers for quiet and smooth ride while being light weight... Would love to see some actual data from real people using the Anderson on Big trailers. I really want to like it...

I have a F350 Screw with longbed and a 8327SS Rockwood at 9klbs loaded with a 1350lb tongue weight. Trailer is 35' long. The Truck has no problems pulling the trailer but the tongue is very heavy. My current hitch is a Equalizer hitch rated for 10k with 1k tongue. It came from my old trailer. I have no problems with the hitch but it does not put enough weight distribution back on the front. It looks a little low in the bed but pulls ok. SO I am looking at new setups.

The Big (and heavy) Equalizer, BlueOx or Anderson. I love the look of the Anderson I really want that hitch but my gut says it simply cant handle that amount of weight. Am i wrong? Almost every review I read is positive why am I hesitant? Blue Ox is cool looking and would work good. The Equalizer is simple and just works (but is heavy and noisy).

any thoughts?
Daniel
There are some pulling the 34' 29xlr at around 9600 & 1100 TW have have had great reviews . I'm getting ready to go get my 29 xlr and it's the Andersen sitting in the back of my truck waiting to go on . with your 350 I would think it would work great for you .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:23 PM   #4

Does it move enough weight to the front of the TV? that seems to be the biggest complaint i read about on here.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
Professional Texan

Quote:
Does it move enough weight to the front of the TV? that seems to be the biggest complaint i read about on here.
It's all in the setup.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #6

I used to pull a 2013 Rockwood Signature 8315BSS with an F350 and the Andersen hitch. Worked like a dream. No problems whatsoever.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With an F350 DRW

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #7

I use the Andersen to pull 8329SS. It is 35' and does ok with sway but will only transfer 240 lbs back to front axle. I bent the washer behind the urethane bushing trying to get more weight to front axle. Andersen sent me new washers at no cost but really it is 15 cents for washers. They of course told me that getting 200# of transfer was great and if the rig is handling ok then that is all the transfer that is needed.
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #8

have a Flagstaff 832 IKBS - 36' and about a sneeze under 10K loaded with 1,000 tongue. Had hitch about 2 years and love it. Longes we pulled was about 4,000 miles 2 years ago with it (MI to CO to s TX to FL to MI).. and no problems whatsoever. Happy with x-fer (but don't have stats). Don't miss those darn bars a bit!!
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:

any thoughts?
Daniel

You should be good. I just purchased an Andersen setup for my F150 and my FR TT which is in the neighborhood of 8,000 lbs loaded. The information that came with my Andersen Hitch said it is good for tongue weight of 1400 lbs. I haven't put the hitch on the unit yet so I can't say how it pulls. I'll be doing it as soon as the weather gets a bit better. It has to beat those greasy old bars.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #10

Quote:

I haven't read those complaints . seems the only negatives were from people trying to compensate for to big a tt and to small a tv . at 9600 lbs loaded should only need a tw of 1100 . all i've read on the andersen says fronts can be returned to stock ride height .
Old 04-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #11

I've also been looking at the Anderson WDH and I have to admit I'm sold , i need to get something along the way this is set up. The chain setup on my current spring bar WDH is getting too difficult to tighten, not because I can't but the pipe tightening the chains is smashing my knuckles off the side of the trailer. The idea of loosing the weight of it and the sway brakes isn't bad either.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #12
Site Team

I tow a 8500 lbs 38 foot long Lacrosse with a chevy 2500hd. With my Equal-i-zer 14K hitch I can get my front end back to stock height as recommended by Chevy . Can the Anderson WDH do that? Anybody done that with a Anderson WDH as heavy and long as me?

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I tow a 8500 lbs 38 foot long Lacrosse with a chevy 2500hd. With my Equal-i-zer 14K hitch I can get my front end back to stock height as recommended by Chevy . Can the Anderson WDH do that? Anybody done that with a Anderson WDH as heavy and long as me?
Thats been my question. The people who have it love it. even Amazon reviews have been good. I may try it and if I dont like it I can always return to Amazon.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #14

I'm going to upgrade soon to a longer trailer. I've been following this thread with interest. Recently upgraded to a 3/4-ton truck and the bounce seems to have increased even though the tension on the bars has decreased slightly. I'm more interested in ride quality because last month I towed 2K miles on a trip and was really tired from the bucking. If the Anderson tones this down, i want one...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #15

I have a 2011 F250 pulling a work & play 30wrs. The trailer is 9k empty and according to forest river has a tongue weight of almost 1400 lbs. The trailer is 36' long. I have a trip to Asheville planned in 2 weeks and am planning to scale it as I pull it. I know that I probably have a pretty good load in it, as I pull with 50 gals of fresh water. I have been extremely impressed with the anderson hitch. I will do my best to get you some real world exact results. A little over half way from Raleigh to Asheville is a Loves with scales. I am planning to stop there. Compared to all my old bar set ups, even if this hitch can't get quite as much on the front axle it is so much safer to setup and quieter that it is well worth it.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #16

Subscribing to see where you get with this, Firedaniel....

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
YEP! you need to start looking up the reviews . back to stock and then some
Old 04-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #18

I just bought an Andersen. I have a 14 F150 and a Vibe 268RKS. I went to the scales and I cant seem to transfer the weight forward with it. I bought it to end the porpoising and it did that but it puts me over my GAWR in the rear end. My front end is lighter with the trailer than without. I stayed at the scales and played with it a bit and I just cant seem to get it to work for me. If I were towing with my old F350 it would be fine but it's not working so well with the 150. I'll likely be craigslisting it in the next week or two.
Markwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
YEP! you need to start looking up the reviews . back to stock and then some
Read reviews, just not any that have claimed to transferred enough weight back to the front front axles or achieved stock height in the front of the tv. Like I said Im big n heavy, 8500lbs and long.
Most talk about the ease of hooking up or how quiet the hitch is. But I dont see folks talking bout getting the tv back to stock height in the front and or enough weight back on their front axles. That is whats really important with any wdh, plus no sway of course.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #20

I had a buddy who returned a Anderson due to lack of weight transfer. He had a chevy 1500 and a 2909 I think, rockwood with about 850lbs of tongue weight. He took it to a hitch place that messed with it for the better part of a day adding washers etc. finally they gave up and he bought a blue ox sway pro, and has not looked back.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
hitch, trailer