Old 10-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection w/B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch

This is information to others and I want to hear for others who have this set up. I had the Ford dealer install a (made in the USA) B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch (it's the only hitch they would install). The RV dealer installed a (made in the USA) Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection hitch. The Ford people I have worked with for many years stated if this set up was not available, they would recommend the standard 5th wheel hitch. They stated they have seen many trucks over the years arrive at the dealership with a hide-a-ball that has towed a gooseneck trailer/5th wheel and the box and frame have damage. The gooseneck does not turn and rotate nor have the strength as the Anderson Ultimate hitch. This cause stress to the box and frame.

This is the web site with videos:
Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Recently, I traveled on the Nebraska intestate west with typical "high winds" from the south to north. All RV and semi traffic was at 55 mph to 65 mph with the speed limit at 75 mph. My 5th wheel pulled straight with no sway, excellent handling and I felt safe. For the past 10 years I have pulled a 25' and 33' TT in these conditions (WHITE KNUCKLE!) and I never felt safe.

The maneuvering with turning and parking is easy and more than enough room between the cab and front the 5th wheel. Overall I am very satisfied with the performance of both products. I would like to hear from others that have these products and their views (pro or con).

My comments are: I have it in writing my frame warranty for both TV and 5th wheel are intact. My DW (dishwasher) loves it! She helps hitch and on-hitch, she says it's much easier than the TT equalizer hitch. She likes the ride while traveling. Special note is that I carry my torque wrench with me and check the 3 bolts on the hitch "every time" before hitching up (very important) there is a warning sticker on the hitch stating this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	40664  
Attached Images

2014 Rockwood 8289WS
2013 F150 crew 4x4 5.0L 3.73 6 1/2 bed
supersprings & timbren & B &W turnoverball
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection hitch
Jerry & Lisa
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud
Pretty sure that gooseneck pin boxes are not recommended by trailer manufacturers.
Also judging by the little bitty pic of the Anderson, that thing looks like a monstrosity compared to every other gooseneck ive seen. And I live in cattle county so 7 out of 10 trucks have gooseneck hitches.
Ive personally crash tested and I have worked on and replaced wrecked b&w hitches and I am 100% confident in them and recomend them. Ive personally had about half a dozen of thier hitches myself. In fact just replaced one today that was in a wreck.
Ive installed or removed numerous hitches (working at several auto dealers) and b&w was the only one that would not void factory warranty, because every other one required drilling holes in the frame. I think there may be another one out there now, but I dont know who, so for this very reason b&w is the ONLY ONE that I can recommend from a liability stand point- plus I think they are the best ones out there!
To each thier own I guess.

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
I guess what is the benefit for this Andersen vs. the Companion offered by B&W?
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
I stopped half way through the video...could not handle the B.S. any longer. They have no idea how or why chucking happens cause if they did they would not use this set up. They have moved the center of gravity of the 5th wheel pin back...dumb, now your weight has moved back. The ball setup is frictionless...I don't think so. Two metal parts are in contact with each other...there is going to be friction...and then no

If this is such a great system why are they not standard or required..?

There is so much more but I dare stop..I am sure someone will jump me on my comments but look at the video again and think about what they are saying.

My .02 worth.
Glen & Robyn (A.K.A. Puff & Crickit) Full Timers..

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
If you just need an adjustable drawbar/ball, there quickhitch looks nice, though very pricey. This would be some nice shiney aluminum bling for those idiots who never tow anything, but like to keep something in their receiver anyway.

But I really think Anderson is in the business of making money by drawing in people who want something new. The no-sway hitch is a good example. The main complaint about hitches like the Equalizer that use friction to control sway, is the noise that often occurs when turning. enter Anderson which uses chains instead of the standard bars. I think this is a fantastic sway control system. Unfortunately, it's not difficult to see that it's a sub-par WD system, which will not be able to transfer enough weight, unless you are only running about half the capacity of your truck. But people like it because it's quiet, controls sway, and the rig "looks level". Never mind that few users have measured any weights or wheel-well heights. Who cares!? It's quiet!
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, hitch, wheel