Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #1

Anderson vs. Equal-i-zer

This weekend the E2 W/D hitch I was using became inoperative because of a broken bolt on the L bracket. I have thought about replacing it anyway, as I want to move up one weight level (800 to 1000).

I have narrowed my decision down to two hitches. I know enough about the Equal-i-zer to know that it provides what I want/need. The problems with it are weight and noise. I understand the Anderson takes on both of those issues (along with being $100 cheaper). The Anderson gets good reviews from those that have it, but the tech behind it is pretty new.

Has anyone used both?

And, which one would you choose if you had it to do over again?

Tow vehicle: 2013 Ford F150 FX4 V6 SuperCrew
Trailer: 2011 Surveyor SV235RKS (GVWR 7476)
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The jury is still out here on the forum if the Anderson can properly distribute the tongue weight.

Have you seen this ad ?? http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...9-a-68296.html

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I know enough about the Equal-i-zer to know that it provides what I want/need. The problems with it are weight and noise.
Supposedly these take care of much of the noise issue.
I'll know after this coming weekend how much they reduce noise, the factory sold me the jackets for dealer cost as a courtesy for buying the hitch (I bought from RVW).
Couldn't be happier with the way my new TT tows though.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
I'll know after this coming weekend how much they reduce noise, the factory sold me the jackets for dealer cost as a courtesy for buying the hitch (I bought from RVW).
Couldn't be happier with the way my new TT tows though.
Thanks, I did see those, but have not heard if they really work either.

I was pretty set on an Equal-I-zer, but figured I would look at some others. The part (on the E2) that actually broke could probably be replaced by the similar replacement part from the Equal-I-zer, but I figure I would need to replace both of them. At that point, there isn't a lot of money saving in keeping an old hitch working.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
The jury is still out here on the forum if the Anderson can properly distribute the tongue weight.

Have you seen this ad ?? http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...9-a-68296.html
Thanks,
I am not sure how I feel about another used hitch of any kind after this incident. The current one came with the trailer. I think whoever installed the L bracket mounts torqued the bolts WAY too much and half broke the bolt then they just left it that way.

There are nothing but good reports on my truck site about the Anderson, but it seems the adoption rate must be pretty low.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:01 AM   #6
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Did you notice the fine print?
NOTE: Utilizing lubrication on the Equal-i-zer L-Bracket, in the form of the Sway Bracket Jacket or any grease type lubricant, may lessen or decrease your sway control by a small degree.
The sway control on the Anderson is due to the friction on the bars, so 1. the "jackets" reduce sway control, and 2. wear on the bars is obviously an issue.

Also, the Anderson hitch puts all the load on the pawl and bolt that hold the hitch coupler closed. Those are NOT designed to take those kinds of loads. Just doing a quick calculation, the short length of the Anderson's weight transfer attachment at the bottom of the hitch means that thousands of pounds of force would be required to generate 500 lbs. of weight transfer.
I want the Anderson because it does not hang down significantly, I am going to modify the pawl and coupler bolt system to handle the loads, and I only need a few hundred pounds of weight transfer. Also it is very light so shipping to Korea won't be as expensive!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #7

BigB,the Anderson uses (Chains) not bars! Agree on the (Loading/Wear) of the (Pawl/Lock Assy.) of the Andy. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #8

I have had a Reese WDH and sway bar in the past and for my last two campers I have been using the Andersen. No way would I consider going back to the bars. I made two trips over the passes in the Rocky mountains last year and two more this year. I have towed about 13,000 miles total now on two different trailers using the Andersen. These trailers handle as well as a Cardinal 5th wheel that I used to have. My current trailer is 33'-6" long. I think the new technology is hard for a lot of people to accept. It is leaving the familiar and stepping into the unknown, not to mention gambling a few hundred dollars in the hopes it works.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
BigB,the Anderson uses (Chains) not bars! Agree on the (Loading/Wear) of the (Pawl/Lock Assy.) of the Andy. Youroo!!
I know it uses chains.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
Incheon, S. Korea

There ya' go!
comfun1 likes the Anderson. He ain't the only one, either.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
NOTE: Utilizing lubrication on the Equal-i-zer L-Bracket, in the form of the Sway Bracket Jacket or any grease type lubricant, may lessen or decrease your sway control by a small degree.
Yes, and all comments I've seen about them indicate that users see no noticeable difference in sway control just as the fine print indicates.
I'll post my results after the weekend as that will be my first opportunity to use them.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
Incheon, S. Korea

Sounds like a plan! Post some pics, too. I've heard a lot about the squeaking and creaking of those things...
Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
The sway control on the Anderson is due to the friction on the bars, so 1. the "jackets" reduce sway control, and 2. wear on the bars is obviously an issue.

Also, the Anderson hitch puts all the load on the pawl and bolt that hold the hitch coupler closed. Those are NOT designed to take those kinds of loads. Just doing a quick calculation, the short length of the Anderson's weight transfer attachment at the bottom of the hitch means that thousands of pounds of force would be required to generate 500 lbs. of weight transfer.
I want the Anderson because it does not hang down significantly, I am going to modify the pawl and coupler bolt system to handle the loads, and I only need a few hundred pounds of weight transfer. Also it is very light so shipping to Korea won't be as expensive!

What is a pawl on a travel trailer. I thought that was the ratcheting winch mechanism on boat trailers.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
What is a pawl on a travel trailer. I thought that was the ratcheting winch mechanism on boat trailers.
The pawl is the move-able part that grabs the hitch ball from underneath. It can also be called the "underjaw".

Old 09-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #15

Quote:
The pawl is the move-able part that grabs the hitch ball from underneath. It can also be called the "underjaw".
I was told (grain of salt) that the latch will move freely. The stress is above the jaw.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Check out the image on the 2nd row, 2nd from the left: Gallery For > Trailer Hitch Coupler Assembly

Old 09-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #17

BigB,I was referring to your Post,(The sway control on the Anderson is due to the friction on the bars, so 1. the "jackets" reduce sway control, and 2. wear on the bars is obviously an issue.) That is why I said Anderson uses (Chains) Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Check out the image on the 2nd row, 2nd from the left: Gallery For > Trailer Hitch Coupler Assembly
My latch is a different design. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Edit: There is a huge supposition on rv.net that all balls are flat on the top, but the Anderson (by all appearances) is fully round on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surveyor Tongue Frame Top Mount.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	62899  
Old 09-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #19

My question is what is your trailer length and weights?

I am using an anderson with a 31' 7500 lb Evo. Yes, not enough weight goes to the front. It is easy setup, pulling and backing, and easy to throw receiver in back seat when going thru car wash. Sway is under control- took me a while to figure out that my problem was under inflated tires.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
My question is what is your trailer length and weights?

I am using an anderson with a 31' 7500 lb Evo. Yes, not enough weight goes to the front. It is easy setup, pulling and backing, and easy to throw receiver in back seat when going thru car wash. Sway is under control- took me a while to figure out that my problem was under inflated tires.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"
Trailer: 2011 Surveyor SV235RKS (GVWR 7476)
I never get near fully loaded, though. Normally, it is right at 5300 unless we are going into the woods then add 36 gal water.

Tags
equal-i-zer