Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #21

I would buy an all wheel drive Subaru or similar small car for the driving/job site access issue and I suggest a gas 1 ton SRW truck for towing.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
I agree with 5er Tom.

I have 3/4 ton oil burner and only use it for hauling. I bought a small used SUV for daily driving and it has already paid for itself with lower fuel and maintenance costs. It is cheaper to own the 2 vehicles than drive the truck exclusively. The diesel is awesome when towing, but rougher riding, harder to park, and costs more to operate.
I agree with 5er Tom.
I do as well.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
Keep in mind with a diesel you still have other maintenance costs of any truck as it ages. Front ends on diesels tend to wear more often than a gas because of the weight; injectors can be as expensive as a gas crate engine. Modern gas engines with routine maintenance can last 200,000 + miles, its the rest of the truck, both gas and diesel that tends to wear and cause maintenance issues.
front end parts wear faster? Nothing can wear out front end parts faster than a Jeep Liberty. Remember several years ago all the spindles falling off Dakotas and Durangos? All light weight vehicles. All in how you use and maintain if, that's if it was built right in the first place.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #24

I have a 2009 Rambox crew cab Ram 1/2 ton . 196,000 on the clock . I tow a 2012 flagstaff around 7000 # , at the scales
Daley driver , best truck I've owned . Lifetime power train ., bought the max care. Life time bumper to bumper

In 2015 we will buy another truck , will look at all 1/2 and 3/4 gas and diesel
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #25

Satisfied with commercial grade 2500 hd 6.0 gas crew cab long bed 3.73 pulling 8500 lb 5 er.....if had to pull 10k or more would want a oil burner..... 10 when towing 15-18 when not towing.....always have crap in back seat and generator and firewood in bed..
long truck pia around town, but wheel base give a tow so nice that you don t even feel the trailer back there.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
Satisfied with commercial grade 2500 hd 6.0 gas crew cab long bed 3.73 pulling 8500 lb 5 er.....if had to pull 10k or more would want a oil burner..... 10 when towing 15-18 when not towing.....always have crap in back seat and generator and firewood in bed..
long truck pia around town, but wheel base give a tow so nice that you don t even feel the trailer back there.....
you are very right. Wheel base is where its at. Doesn't help in parking lots, but sure makes life nice on the roads, towing or not. I had a 2500 gasser CCSB and just got a new 3500 Duramax CCLB. I've been in 1/2 tons that don't ride nearly as nice as my 1 ton. More truck than I need right now, but I sometimes forget there is 8000lbs behind me. 5ver in my future.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #27

I had an 09' F150 with the max trailer tow package. It towed my camper ok, plenty of power but when I added weight to truck when towing, such as scuba gear, or wood, or extra passengers, I was uncomfortable with the way it handled. I added air bags which helped with rear sag, but not handling. I just didn't feel "safe" with it and that's a bad feeling when you have your family with you. It sometimes felt like the camper pushed the truck.
My truck also is a daily driver but not to the extent in miles as yours. After some research, I went with a F350 diesel. Yes, it costs more in initial cost, maintenance, and fuel, but to me, it is well worth it. I have to repeat, "TO ME" it was worth it. It towed so much better, fuel mileage was better towing and not towing and the power is unbelievable. It rides the same as my F150. The truck feels solid towing and that is a very good feeling when your towing 8k behind you. I also was looking into if I ever upgraded to a bigger TT.
I replied to your post not to persuade you one way or the other, just to let you know my experience. Whichever way you go, diesel or gas, I would definitely get a 3/4 ton or better. good luck.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #28

definitely go with a bigger truck. Feels so much better having more control, not like the trailer is controlling you. Gas or diesel, that's another whole argument. I personally think most half tons are over rated. Many now rated at 10,000 or more trailer towing, but my 09 GMC gasser 2500 that I had, was only rated to tow 9,900 How is a truck with less engine and trans, less frame, smaller axles and brakes and lighter duty tires rated to tow more
Old 12-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #29

I would get a 3/4 diesel or better yet, a 1 ton to haul your 7500# trailer - my 1 ton Ram diesel with about a 2000# payload (incl trailer tongue weight) tows my 7500# loaded trailer with absolutely zero strain everywhere.

For commuting, my fav is a Merc Grand Marquis. You can get a newer model with low miles for under $7K and get 300K miles with normal maintenance and normal replacement items - ask cabbies and cops. Plus they are built like a tank and will take a beating and get around 24 MPG at 65 MPH.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
phat phrog stunt crew

motor trend voted the ram 1500 diesel truck of the year. according to them, they got 28 mpg in real world testing with the 2wd and iirc, 25 with the 4wd w/3.92 ratio. 18 around town, and still able to pull 9200(?) lbs. dont recall the towing mileage, you will have to read it yourself. mine was just delivered yesterday by mail, so should be on the newsstand soon.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #31

We currently have an '11 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I added 25% over progressive rate springs and bags. That took care of a lot of the sag. The 5.7 in the 1500 is the same as in the 2500 and 3500 and has more than enough power to tow.

The problem arises after the engine. Like what was mentioned above I too didn't like the way the truck handled when pushed towards its limits. Personally, because of the handling, I ordered a bigger truck.

One thing of note. Some weeks ago a lady couldn't get her car stopped due to slippery conditions and hit the back end of our Ram at an angle. Fortunately I had a ball mount in the hitch at the time and that took the brunt of the damage. Ball mount and hitch were bent and the chrome on the bumper cracked. I went to the local dealer to get the work done.

The body shop manager showed me the hitch they took off and told me I probably shouldn't have been towing the TT with the heavy tongue weight I have. I told him that was the hitch that came with the truck from another dealer. He said it it was added after the dealer took delivery of the truck and it was an aftermarket. The one they installed is an official Ram hitch. They had to lift the box to install it.

So, no matter what you get for a truck, make sure the hitch has the same capabilities.

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
... How is a truck with less engine and trans, less frame, smaller axles and brakes and lighter duty tires rated to tow more
Now you know why I call the stickers "Lawyer stickers". They have nothing to do with what the actual capacities and capabilities of the trucks are. It's a CYA sticker.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Now you know why I call the stickers "Lawyer stickers". They have nothing to do with what the actual capacities and capabilities of the trucks are. It's a CYA sticker.
I'm with ya there. Problem is, most dealers know nothing at all about tow vehicles, and little about the camper they are selling you. Easy for first time shoppers and inexperienced trailer tow customers to get something they or their TV cant handle.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post
I had an 09' F150 with the max trailer tow package. It towed my camper ok, plenty of power but when I added weight to truck when towing, such as scuba gear, or wood, or extra passengers, I was uncomfortable with the way it handled. I added air bags which helped with rear sag, but not handling. I just didn't feel "safe" with it and that's a bad feeling when you have your family with you. It sometimes felt like the camper pushed the truck.
My truck also is a daily driver but not to the extent in miles as yours. After some research, I went with a F350 diesel. Yes, it costs more in initial cost, maintenance, and fuel, but to me, it is well worth it. I have to repeat, "TO ME" it was worth it. It towed so much better, fuel mileage was better towing and not towing and the power is unbelievable. It rides the same as my F150. The truck feels solid towing and that is a very good feeling when your towing 8k behind you. I also was looking into if I ever upgraded to a bigger TT.
I replied to your post not to persuade you one way or the other, just to let you know my experience. Whichever way you go, diesel or gas, I would definitely get a 3/4 ton or better. good luck.
This is a good discussion. I like the words "to me".

When I drive around campgrounds, I see plenty of Jumbo campers being pulled around with a lot less than a 1/2 ton pick-up. Those people are comfortable pulling their rigs with a TV that I would never consider. "to me", bigger is better but that's just me. You need to decide what's right for you. No perfect answer. If you are looking at 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton trucks, you are looking in the right area though.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #35

Funny, when I'm at the campground I either see toads going by or hear the rattle of an angry oil burner saying "give me something to pull". Not to many light duties.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
Funny, when I'm at the campground I either see toads going by or hear the rattle of an angry oil burner saying "give me something to pull". Not to many light duties.
See the same except the oil burners are just rattling and stinking up the air.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #37

Now that everyone has got that out of their system. When will we go through this debate again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app
shagginwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
I would get a 3/4 diesel or better yet, a 1 ton to haul your 7500# trailer - my 1 ton Ram diesel with about a 2000# payload (incl trailer tongue weight) tows my 7500# loaded trailer with absolutely zero strain everywhere.

For commuting, my fav is a Merc Grand Marquis. You can get a newer model with low miles for under $7K and get 300K miles with normal maintenance and normal replacement items - ask cabbies and cops. Plus they are built like a tank and will take a beating and get around 24 MPG at 65 MPH.

Never had a grand marquis as a patrol car but the sister crown Vic was a work horse. Best out there.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagginwaggin View Post
Now that everyone has got that out of their system. When will we go through this debate again?

What debate?
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #40

"The debate" You know.

shagginwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote