Old 12-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #11

I agree with 5er Tom.

I have 3/4 ton oil burner and only use it for hauling. I bought a small used SUV for daily driving and it has already paid for itself with lower fuel and maintenance costs. It is cheaper to own the 2 vehicles than drive the truck exclusively. The diesel is awesome when towing, but rougher riding, harder to park, and costs more to operate.

Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
As the saying goes, just because you can afford to buy a diesel truck, does not mean you can afford to drive a diesel truck. The additional cost of ownership of a diesel needs to be considered. Besides the premimum we pay for diesel fuel there are other real costs. My diesel takes 13 quarts of oil every 5,000+/- miles. DEF adds cost. Fuel filters need to be changed. Etc, Etc, Etc.

I love the way the diesel truck tows, but I limit use of the truck to towing as much as possible. Under normal driving situations, I would never consider a diesel truck for everyday use. It is way too expensive.

My 2 cents...

The exact reason I did not buy a diesel. I also needed a daily driver and the newer diesels are not made for that.

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You didn't identify what amount of towing miles that you put on your truck, but I assume that it's low relative to the commuting miles. For that reason, I would think that your commuting needs would out-weigh the towing as long as it tows adequately. If you're not satisfied with your non-towing fuel mileage of your gar 1/2T, you certainly won't with a gas 3/4T. A change in driving habits can have a major effect of you non-towing mileage also.

If you're planning on towing the same camper, I'd opt for a newer model of what you already have.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #14

2013+ Ram 1/2 tons have air suspension. 2014 Ram 3/4 tons have rear coil suspension. 2014+ Ram heavy duty trucks have air suspension as an option. I bought a 2013 2500 with a Cummins, and it's an absolutely awesome truck. Ride is occasionally harsh, but not that harsh. Much of it can be fixed by swapping stock shocks/struts for billstein 5100's or something similar. But I hear the 2014 rear springs make a big difference. My truck will pull 17k with a 2250 payload. My trailer is only 11k loaded with 950 tongue weight.

DEF is a negligible cost on top of diesel. I equate it to a 4 cent rise in the price of diesel. However, you do have all the stuff in there to take care of. In my case, I have an extended warranty that will take care of all that crap aside from fuel filters and oil changes. Oil change interval on my truck is 15k, and while I have not yet reached that mileage, many people have and have had their oil analyzed. It's fine, especially because of the reduced use of EGR in these trucks with SCR (DEF system), creating a cleaner oil environment. I daily drive my truck, and tow only occasionally. I would never buy a gasser just because of the Colorado mountains. I'd rather have the power to pull than be heading up the gauntlet with 11k behind me, barely being able to keep the speed limit with the engine at red line.

I've only taken one long trip with the truck while towing and I get about 13mpg on nice flat ground at 65mph. In the mountains, it's more like 10-11. My wife had a tacoma a couple years back that we used to tow a tent camper (about 2k pounds) out to Moab. We got 9mpg over the whole trip, and it was a 4.0l V6 engine. Gas just doesn't cut it for towing unless you're just putting around town. But that's me...

Do I need diesel? Hell no, but it's WAY faster than the gasser versions of the same truck, when empty. The 2500 with the 6.4l Hemi will do 0-60 in about 10 seconds. I can do 0-60 in 12.5 with an 8k trailer behind me. Show me a gas truck doing that. Yeah yeah, 0-60 is a stupid statistic when it comes to trucks and towing, but it sure as hell paints an excellent picture of comparison.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Ryand, if what you have is working, why not just get a newer version of what you have?
good point....just thought i would get some other opinions of folks who daily drive a 3/4 diesel. MY other thought would be that you get potential more life out of the diesel and rather purchase a new truck every 4-5 years i might be able to get 7-10 years out of the heavier truck.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
good point....just thought i would get some other opinions of folks who daily drive a 3/4 diesel. MY other thought would be that you get potential more life out of the diesel and rather purchase a new truck every 4-5 years i might be able to get 7-10 years out of the heavier truck.
Keep in mind with a diesel you still have other maintenance costs of any truck as it ages. Front ends on diesels tend to wear more often than a gas because of the weight; injectors can be as expensive as a gas crate engine. Modern gas engines with routine maintenance can last 200,000 + miles, its the rest of the truck, both gas and diesel that tends to wear and cause maintenance issues.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
I have been driving my 250 every day that I work, it has been to AZ once when pulling a trailer with another PU on it.
It has been to Portland and Newport OR W/O a trailer twice.
Right now I get 12.6 because I let it run for awhile in the morning.
Other than one software update and regular oil and filter changes I have not had a problem.
I got just over 29,000 on the factory POS tires.
I plan on this being my last PU, only regret not going with the 350.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #18

I just switched trucks so the opportunity was there to go heavy and or diesel. I stuck with a half ton because 95 percent of my time in it is commuting and tow my 28 foot Salem QBXL maybe six or eight times per year. If it were closer to 50/50 AND if the truck was making money to pay for itself maybe I would have gone the other way. I have no regrets buying my Ram 1500 and feel like if I'm gonna run a gasser, Hemi is the way to go. You gotta do what works best for you.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
WFD

adding airbags does not add a single ounce to your payload capacity...adds to your comfort and helps preserve your suspension, but in as much as weight capacities..it does not allow you to exceed your max payload rating by the manufacturer.

Rick
Old 12-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
phat phrog stunt crew

my daily is an 08 d/a 2500hd. i gave up my company truck, 6.2 gas 250 super duty when i changed jobs at work. fuel economy wise, there really is no difference. at least nothing to write about here. combined city/hiway they are about the same. 3/4 tons and economy do not go hand in hand. ride quality went to the gasser, towing went to my chevy, but my old work truck pulled a 5000 lb trailer no sweat when we hooked up to it.

as far as 1/2 ton diesel, i think i would hold off on that and let them get the bugs worked out of the introduction year model. im sure that you will be happy with a diesel
powered truck tho. even in a half ton.