Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #1

Another Andersen WD review

Trailer is a 24' Rockwood Ultralite about 6500 fully loaded with a tongue weight of about 670 without full tanks. Previously had a Reese Pro WD with round bars and 2 friction bars. Hitch came with the trailer and I added the second friction bar. Was not that fun to tow with our F-150 rated for 7800 lb. Anything over 55 could get squirrley. Aside from the ease of hitching the Andersen and the lack of noise, it is just so much better to drive with. The sweet spot seems to be 60-65 and I actually find myself having to slow down, it is so comfortable. No more white knuckles and death grip on the wheel. It feels almost like not towing. With the Reese, things could get scary pretty quick, but the Andersen just seems so much more predictable. The ride remind me of driving my dad's big old Desoto V8 with the fins back in the 60s, lol. Just kinda floating down the road, dum de dum. The most that happens is a kind of nose to tail shimmy or slight undulation, again very predictable and not at all scary, even with crosswinds. Just ease up on the gas for a moment instead of hitting the brakes. Probably towed about 5000 with the Reese and so far about 1000 with the Andersen. The weight distribution seems fine, although I feel I need to be more conscious of weight and load distribution, no bad thing. First short trip I had full tanks and know my tongue weight was over. Second long trip had empty tanks and proper tongue weight which was great. Third trip I weighted the rear more to see the effect, and it was not quite as good, but still fine, and all combinations were still much better than the Reese. I can't speak for a longer trailer with higher tongue weight, but the Andersen has made this 65-year-old lady a much happier camper!
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #2

Nice write up! I too have and AWDH and I have no other experience with WDHs but I feel very confident with this setup. Curious, did you happen to take any pics? I just hooked up tonight and went to a friends house to do some work on my 233s. I can't decide if I need to drop the ball down a notch, but I'm pulling empty right now (maiden voyage is 7/2-7/6!). Here's a few pics I took of it hitched up:

Like I said, it looks a little high at the ball, but it was hooked up dry and empty so hopefully weight will bring it back down. If not, I'll prob. drop the ball. Thanks for the write up though!

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I would be interested to see some before and after scale weights. The jury is still out if the Anderson can properly get the weight back on the front axle.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #4

Years ago I had a 21' TT and a Reese WD with sway control and while it was a tremendous help I like my Andersen far better. I'm currently pulling a 33'-6" trailer with it and it pulls just as well as a fifth wheel that I used to have. No more snap, crackle and pop. No more grease and dirt and noise and lifting bars off and on. No more dirty hands. Can't beat the Andersen.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Incheon, S. Korea

Based on my engineering edumacation, I can't see the numbers to make those things transfer the weight to the front wheels.
The tension on the chains would have to be HUGE!
I'd also love to see scale numbers.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

I've asked for such numbers on multiple sites. Only 1 person provided those numbers. They (like most people) said they were happy with the setup, but acknowledged the front was not brought back down where it needed to be.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Incheon, S. Korea

Ignorance is bliss?
If they are happy with it, that's all that matters.
I'm getting a Hensley if I ever get a trailer (in America) that requires a WDH.
In Korea an Anderson would be great because of the ground clearance and the fact that I'll never have a 'monster-sized' trailer, so I won't need a lot of weight transfer.
(Also it's lighter to ship here, too! LOL)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #8

I admit that I cannot get the weight back to the front of my setup, but it's better than nothing and easy to hook up and no issues driving. Did my first long pull with it last weekend and was not bothered with crosswinds or passing semis.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #9

I wish there were some scales near me to just hook up and go weigh things. I'll have to measure my wheel wells and hook up again to see if there's any difference. I did it once when I first set it up but haven't done so any other time.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #10

There must be enough friction to offset the lack of weight transfer.

Same thing with the HA. You could literally not engage the WD bars and still get no sway.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:38 AM   #11
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
There must be enough friction to offset the lack of weight transfer.

Same thing with the HA. You could literally not engage the WD bars and still get no sway.
The weight transfer doesn't neccesarily reduce/eliminate sway. It may on a normal WDH however.

On the Hensley Arrow and the ProPride (which is Hensley's design for smaller trailers with surge brakes) the WD system is independent of the sway control system. It's an amazing system that is similar to the rear suspension designs on some higher-end mountain bikes. (virtual pivot point)
Old 06-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
I wish there were some scales near me to just hook up and go weigh things.
Check out your local rock quarry, grain storage facility, or landfill. They may allow you to weigh your rig. I used the local rock quarry for a number of weighs in past years. There was an outside readout screen, where I could record the numbers while sitting in my truck. I would weigh the front axle only, then both truck axles, then just the trailer axle with the WDH bars in place, then another trip across without the WDH bars. I would drop of the trailer at home, come back and weigh the front truck axle, both axles, and the rear axle only. Some calculations need to be done, but we could lead you through those.

The other option is a multi-section scales like CAT scales. Using the address on your profile, there are 3 within 22 miles of your location:
CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale

And how to weight: How To Weigh | CAT Scale

You would need drop your trailer in the yard for 1 weigh-in, and the other 2 weigh-ins would include 1 without the WDH bars in place and 1 with the bars in place. Re-weighs are typically $1 ea.

I now use a CAT scale about 25 miles away for my weights.

Whether using a single section of mulisection scale, it is important to have all passengers and cargo in the same place, as well as the same level in all tanks, including the gas tank.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #13

The main task of a WDH is not to prevent sway! It's to transfer lost weight back to the front wheels for proper vehicle handling/dynamics. If you don't need weight transfer, then why get a WDH? Save your money, and get a friction sway controller? But if you do need weight transfer, then please be sure it's doing the job properly. You have to take measurements to do that. And if the Anderson system instructions do not have you taking measurements, that's another indication that it's probably not really up to the task, for those that care about proper vehicle dynamics/handling.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Check out your local rock quarry, grain storage facility, or landfill. They may allow you to weigh your rig. I used the local rock quarry for a number of weighs in past years. There was an outside readout screen, where I could record the numbers while sitting in my truck. I would weigh the front axle only, then both truck axles, then just the trailer axle with the WDH bars in place, then another trip across without the WDH bars. I would drop of the trailer at home, come back and weigh the front truck axle, both axles, and the rear axle only. Some calculations need to be done, but we could lead you through those.

The other option is a multi-section scales like CAT scales. Using the address on your profile, there are 3 within 22 miles of your location:
CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale

And how to weight: How To Weigh | CAT Scale

You would need drop your trailer in the yard for 1 weigh-in, and the other 2 weigh-ins would include 1 without the WDH bars in place and 1 with the bars in place. Re-weighs are typically $1 ea.

I now use a CAT scale about 25 miles away for my weights.

Whether using a single section of mulisection scale, it is important to have all passengers and cargo in the same place, as well as the same level in all tanks, including the gas tank.
Good info thanks! For some reason I thought these scales were closed. I'll have to take a drive out there and see if they're still open and try to get some weights!

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 06-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
Site Team

I looked long at the Anderson hitch and had my doubts. Read many good reviews as well. I just didnt think it could do the complete job I was looking for. Looks easy to use and no mess is way too cool!
I would like to see someone post measurements of wheel wells before and after and scale weights too. Show your getting weight back on your front axle and back to stock height in the front.

Im interested ProPride myself at some point.
For now I will just us my equalizer 4 point 14k. Does a great job with shoving the weight forward and I have no sway on my 37 foot 8500 lbs unit. I use a dry graphite lube (mower guard) so there is no mess on the bars. Slip plate mix with grease on the hitch head so my noise is not that bad. If does pop or bang it make fdw jump in her seat so that cool. Still get my kicks outta that
With me its about performance and safety even if it comes with noise.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #16

Well, as I said, with my old Reese WD the numbers were fine but it handled like crap. With the Andersen my wheel wells are equal, the truck and trailer are level and it all rides 10x more smoothly, so for me it works. YMMV. Probably no two truck/trailer combos will be the same. We all are looking for the "perfect" setup within our budget limitations.
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #17

Question for you AWDH owners: On the F150 Ecoboost forums someone pointed out that the set screws were supposed to be on the bottom. If I remember correctly, the set screw holes and the bolt holes are not the same size. My set screws are on top. How are yours? What difference will it make (if any)? Google images shows majority are on the bottom with only a few on top.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #18

Mine are on top also. I'm going to have a friend weld the brackets in place- one side keeps slipping for some reason.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #19

I marked my brackets with tape so I can see evidence of them slipping (if they do). My friend said he'll weld them after this trip if it's dialed in so I won't have to worry about it anymore.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s