Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
Engineer of Crazy Train

When I blew by a E150 pulling a 1 horse trailer like she was standing still in my little 4 cylinder diesel towing my Box, I knew I made the right choice. I am already saving up for my Ram 1500 diesel!!!
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
exactly. ..last trip to colorado my best friend swore his tundra could pull his 5800 lb as well as my tuned 250 @ 10k....at the turn to I 40 (45miles in) his tundra was over heating. ...hell my 250 never even came outta 6th gear!!!...and I had the cruise at 60mph....he text me and said "dont say a da"n thing".......lol....we were in a 18mph head wind.......there was NO COMPARISON....
Don't know what model Tundra your friend had or if it had the tow pkg. I've been in the Rockies and Cascade mtns. several times with my 5.7 with tow pkg and the temp gauges never moved past center of normal 95+ outside and 11k ' in the mountains. 56k on the clock over 20k pulling 9k+ 5r.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #23

IMHO... I don't understand why they make half-ton 2WD trucks. If you want an SUV then buy one....maybe these are just SUV's. I dunno. 30 years ago 4WD and 3/4 ton trucks were less efficient and "bulky". My old Dodge drives like a car. It has a very short turning radius, it is easy to drive and handle(tiny bit long when parking. It is a 4 door short bed 3/4T 4X4 with a six speed manual. I love this truck....oh and it's a smoker. It gets good fuel mileage and runs strong. I bought it 4 years old and paid half price as new. Would do again.
My .02 cents.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post

In the long run, a diesel is actually the less expensive choice. The engine should last well over twice as long as a gas engine, and ti doesn't cost nearly twice as much.

Joel
I have to wonder about this. When you compare gas to diesel you add the $7000 engine upgrade and the 50¢ per gallon fuel increase. Then factor in the added 4-5 mpg increase of the diesel and you'll have to drive about 150,000 miles to break even. Not including other diesel costs, fuel additive, oil change costs. I did the math and was told I was "not good at math." I'd love to see a diesel driver do the math and post results.
I see it like this. If you need a diesel, nothing else will work as well. Heavy loads, lots of towing, etc. But if a gasser will do your job safely and legally, then save the money and drive the gasser. Jmho with factual backup. Lol.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #25

I have 150,000 miles on my '01 7.3. It is just broke in. I look to get 350,000 more miles out of it. With some TLC, it will be the last truck I ever own. If I had a gasser with 150,000 miles on it, I would see it as the end of it's work life cycle. The older that I get the farther and farther I lean to safety, first and always.

I live near an Interstate highway that has a very long hill. I have pulled this hill for 30 years using gassers and I always had to down shift multiple times and lost half my speed, being passed by too many to count and struggled to keep the minimum speed. The first time I pulled that hill with my 7.3, it never kicked out of Over Drive or slowed down. It was now I who was passing all of those gasser struggling to maintain speed, and temp and transmission. When I pulled that hill with a gasser, I thought of myself as a hazard to the vehicles around me as I struggled up that hill. Now I view the struggling gassers as the hazard.

I am in this for the long haul with many years and many miles to go. This year alone I pulled my camper from Mo to SC. and from Mo to Co. I have camped over 40 days at day and night different campgrounds. I want a truck that will stay running for 20 hours at a time and not need to shut off. I fuel up at truck stops and with that Semi next to me is idling and I leave my 7.3 idling when fueling/ or road side breaks for the rest room and eats.

Each to his own for what he does and plans to do. I don't just want a Heavy Duty Diesel.... I need a Heavy DutyDiesel.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 11-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #26

"that Semi next to me is idling and I leave my 7.3 idling when fueling/ or road side breaks for the rest room and eat"

Just wondering, since I haven't owned a diesel yet, why do diesel owners leave their trucks idling for long periods of time?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
"that Semi next to me is idling and I leave my 7.3 idling when fueling/ or road side breaks for the rest room and eat"

Just wondering, since I haven't owned a diesel yet, why do diesel owners leave their trucks idling for long periods of time?
the owners need heat, or cooling for their cab while they are living in them, prob starter life, they like the noise ...I dont ever let mine idle unless I just climbed a big hill and pulled into a rest area, to let my turbo cool. I do not see a whole lot of reasons to let our little displacement diesels idle since they build heat real fast, and not a lot of mass to get spinning on start up

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I have to wonder about this. When you compare gas to diesel you add the $7000 engine upgrade and the 50¢ per gallon fuel increase. Then factor in the added 4-5 mpg increase of the diesel and you'll have to drive about 150,000 miles to break even. Not including other diesel costs, fuel additive, oil change costs. I did the math and was told I was "not good at math." I'd love to see a diesel driver do the math and post results.
I see it like this. If you need a diesel, nothing else will work as well. Heavy loads, lots of towing, etc. But if a gasser will do your job safely and legally, then save the money and drive the gasser. Jmho with factual backup. Lol.
X2, my sentiments exactly. Plus I don't like the smell or the noise of the older diesels.

I think they let them idle just to annoy other people.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

I wonder if the ones that let them idle are the same ones that pull into the weigh stations in each state...
Old 11-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #30

Quote:

I leave mine running for multiple reasons. Some people will disagree but that is fine. I have two batteries for a reason. It takes a lot of power to get the glow plugs warmed up and the starter to get the engine turning over. If my voltage drops to a certain point, I can crank all day long and it still will not start. If I leave it running there is less wear and tear and stress on the batts, glow plugs, relays, starter and alt. and injectors and engine It takes a while for the engine to cool down when shut off, but also a little while to warm up when started. My engine will idle up when started and kick down to the running idle when warm. Fuel usage is very minimal idling. Fuel is burning cleaner when left running. When starting up I will blow out the tail pipe an amount of unburnt fuel. When running positive voltage stills goes to the towed unit and that unit gets all of the power it needs and no TT battery power is used. I have two to six people in the truck traveling, when it is cold, I/they want heat, when it is hot, I/they want cold. The temp range in the cab does not go up and down when shut off and on. These are just a few reasons for me. I believe that there is a lot more wear and tear in the starting sequence vs leaving it running all day long.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
X2,

That is the main reason..... I like to annoy people like OldCoot

Old 11-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #32

HMMMM? I`ve never found a need for a diesel even when I was towing with my 95 V-6 Explorer. even now or when I had my 97 Dodge conv. van with the 5.9L gas engine, when I passed some diesels going up a hill I still think to myself "why do you need a diesel when a gasser with less maint. and less issues does the same thing?"

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I leave mine running for multiple reasons. Some people will disagree but that is fine. I have two batteries for a reason. It takes a lot of power to get the glow plugs warmed up and the starter to get the engine turning over. If my voltage drops to a certain point, I can crank all day long and it still will not start. If I leave it running there is less wear and tear and stress on the batts, glow plugs, relays, starter and alt. and injectors and engine It takes a while for the engine to cool down when shut off, but also a little while to warm up when started. My engine will idle up when started and kick down to the running idle when warm. Fuel usage is very minimal idling. Fuel is burning cleaner when left running. When starting up I will blow out the tail pipe an amount of unburnt fuel. When running positive voltage stills goes to the towed unit and that unit gets all of the power it needs and no TT battery power is used. I have two to six people in the truck traveling, when it is cold, I/they want heat, when it is hot, I/they want cold. The temp range in the cab does not go up and down when shut off and on. These are just a few reasons for me. I believe that there is a lot more wear and tear in the starting sequence vs leaving it running all day long.
So you need the glow plugs after shutting it down for 15 minutes? sounds like a problem with the truck to me. glow plugs (or heater grid on a Cummins) are only needed when it gets cold out. usually below freezing.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #34
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:

Big thing is the TURBO. When it is working, it gets HOT, and takes time to cool off so that the oil doesn't coke. When I come home, I leave it run for about a minute before shutting it off. When towing, depending on what I am doing, usually at least 5 minutes. If I am just fueling and going in to drain the radiator, I will leave it running.

They do make turbo timers. They let the engine idle for a set period of time, and shut off. These are good for company trucks where you don't trust the help in letting the truck idle down.

Our locomotive mechanic told me the story of the dodge turbo gas engines. He was telling me that those had a lot of turbo failures due to coking.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
Old 11-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #35
Wanna Be Camper

Anyone who thinks a modern gas engine is done at 150,000 has been smelling diesel fumes far too long, most will easily make 300 to 400 thousand miles if looked after. But that is just it alot of owners of gas engine trucks seem to think they need no maintaince and then wonder why they only got 100k out of them. Let's face it, diesel guys will try anything and everthing to justify their purchase, gasser guys know they have what they need. I find it quite funny all the " Professional grade OPINIONS on here and they are just that opinions" I have been talked out of diesel trucks for the last 2 we purchased both by the dealers and some very good friends who are OTH truckers by trade. You oil burner people just need to face the facts that not everyone wants needs or cares about you silly little oil burners. I want a truck I can jump into at -35 and go hookup to my flat deck to haul water and not sit around having it plugged in or waiting for it to warm up somewhat. The time I sit waiting I could be halfway to the water supply in my gasser. I have yet to find anywhere I need a diesel and BTW some of us actually like the sound of a nice V8 not the sick cow sound alot of diesels make after they have had the exhaust gutted and all you can hear is that turbo rattle and whistle from a sewer pipe. I also get a laugh out of the fact you all seem to think it is fair to compare a naturally aspirated V8 to a diesel with hair dryers.
That being said, if you want one then buy it but leave the people who like gassers alone and don't try to tell us we all really want an oil burner when we all really don't.

God this gets real old.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Old 11-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #36
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesasks View Post
anyone who thinks a modern gas engine is done at 150,000 has been smelling diesel fumes far too long, most will easily make 300 to 400 thousand miles if looked after. But that is just it alot of owners of gas engine trucks seem to think they need no maintaince and then wonder why they only got 100k out of them. Let's face it, diesel guys will try anything and everthing to justify their purchase, gasser guys know they have what they need. I find it quite funny all the " professional grade opinions on here and they are just that opinions" i have been talked out of diesel trucks for the last 2 we purchased both by the dealers and some very good friends who are oth truckers by trade. You oil burner people just need to face the facts that not everyone wants needs or cares about you silly little oil burners. I want a truck i can jump into at -35 and go hookup to my flat deck to haul water and not sit around having it plugged in or waiting for it to warm up somewhat. The time i sit waiting i could be halfway to the water supply in my gasser. I have yet to find anywhere i need a diesel and btw some of us actually like the sound of a nice v8 not the sick cow sound alot of diesels make after they have had the exhaust gutted and all you can hear is that turbo rattle and whistle from a sewer pipe. I also get a laugh out of the fact you all seem to think it is fair to compare a naturally aspirated v8 to a diesel with hair dryers.
That being said, if you want one then buy it but leave the people who like gassers alone and don't try to tell us we all really want an oil burner when we all really don't.

God this gets real old.

Name:   image-3677640633.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  18.1 KB

Old 11-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
I also get a laugh out of the fact you all seem to think it is fair to compare a naturally aspirated V8 to a diesel with hair dryers.
hater...enjoy your 6.2 gas milage because I just bought a 2013 work truck F250 reg cab 4x4 for the company, have not seen 15mpg`s running the interstate @70 empty, it now has 10k miles and still gets crappy milage and last week it pulled a flatbed trailer with a propeller and a engine mounted in a transport stand, total weight 9200k from MI to georgia, my mechanics said it pulled terrible and the receipts for gas adv out to 6mpg`s. the 08 2500HD gas it replaced was a slug , but saw better mpg`s with the same loads... This is why we buy smoky, smelly, expensive, oil burners

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
So you need the glow plugs after shutting it down for 15 minutes? sounds like a problem with the truck to me. glow plugs (or heater grid on a Cummins) are only needed when it gets cold out. usually below freezing.

It is not the problem of the truck. The glow plugs are not needed, but that do not keep them, or the Heater Grid (Cummins) from coming on and using voltage. From what I understand they will come on when the ambient temp is around 60 degrees.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #39

Gone the diesel route with a Ford 6.0L Powerstorke.
I pulled my 11,000 lb 5th wheel.
Now have a Ford 6.2L gas and save 60 plus cents a gallon on gas instead of buying diesel and additives. Oh did I mention I saved $15,000 when I bought my gas instead of another diesel.

To top it off I must say I sold my 5th wheel and not drive a motorhome with the Ford V10 gasser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck_Sadona 003.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	42274  
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Big thing is the TURBO. When it is working, it gets HOT, and takes time to cool off so that the oil doesn't coke. When I come home, I leave it run for about a minute before shutting it off. When towing, depending on what I am doing, usually at least 5 minutes. If I am just fueling and going in to drain the radiator, I will leave it running.

They do make turbo timers. They let the engine idle for a set period of time, and shut off. These are good for company trucks where you don't trust the help in letting the truck idle down.

Our locomotive mechanic told me the story of the dodge turbo gas engines. He was telling me that those had a lot of turbo failures due to coking.
Usually maintenance issues... or overworking with NO cool down period. Most manuals tell you "idling" for more than a few minutes adds to deposits in the combustion chamber. If you drive long distances after idling, it is supposed to "clean up" the deposits. I run fuel additives that clean these up for me. I don't idle mine long, because I just don't want to. I am to tight and I don't think its good for it. I run synthetic oils(most of the time) so I don't worry about the coking problem so much.

SORRY ABOUT THE DELAY IN POSTING...I WAS ACTUALLY WORKING
Closed Thread