Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #61
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
I through around the idea of getting a diesel but my camper is only 7000 pounds fully loaded and my old Nissan Titan pulled it well I just didn't trust the truck anymore. I bought a tundra with the 5.7. The truck pulls amazing. Yes of course when a good hill approaches I down shift and am running between 3 and 4000 Rpms. But I can hold speed with out a problem. Smaller hills truck will stay in gear and not shift. You have to know how to tow with a gas engine and all will be good. One day I may get a bigger camper and then a diesel will probably be required. I bought a truck for the camper I have now and it's new and don't see me getting a new one for a while not a truck I think I will need for a future camper. I will cross that bridge when I get there. I work with a guy that is the same way about diesels swears by them and talks down on people that want to tow with a gasser. I get in arguments with him all the time but he is blinded. I guess the is just a big story about. Each to his own as long as your happy and feel safe tow with whatever the heck you want.

Great point WYO. There is the factor of towing knowledge and skill. A novice pulling with a gas engine will make that engine scream going up a grade. I'm pulling a 11,200 lb 5th wheel with my 6.2L gas and I can manage gears, RPMs and speed pretty good with the combo of that engine and transmission. I'm probably on the high side of weight of most gassers out there and tow that kind of weight comfortable enough for me.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
Old 11-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #62

I was planning on buying a diesel this spring but I'm not so sure after reading this thread. I want something I can get in, turn the key and drive. When I get somewhere I want to be able to turn the key off and get out. With a diesel it sounds as though I would have to let it idle till it's warm and leave it running during errands and let it run for a few more minutes to cool down before I can shut it off. If this is true, I think I would soon be wishing I would have bought another gasser.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #63
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
With a diesel it sounds as though I would have to let it idle till it's warm and leave it running during errands and let it run for a few more minutes to cool down before I can shut it off. I
Not a wise thing to do, just start up and drive, the only thing diesel does not like is short drives and not getting up to full operating temp as this causes condensation in the engine and the last thing you want is water where it is not supposed to be, it likes to get up to temp but not by idling, it's not a good idea to idle a gas engine too much either.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #64

Idling...hard on all engines
No warm up...hard on all engines
Short trips...hard on all engines
Cool down...good for all engines...esp air cooled and turbo engines

BTW: I have been driving diesel pick ups for 20 years and I rarely "cool the turbo", but I don't drive like a teenager....if I work it hard then I idle for a minute.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 11-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post

Don't know what model Tundra your friend had or if it had the tow pkg. I've been in the Rockies and Cascade mtns. several times with my 5.7 with tow pkg and the temp gauges never moved past center of normal 95+ outside and 11k ' in the mountains. 56k on the clock over 20k pulling 9k+ 5r.
its a 2011 or 12 model...has best towing package and and aux tranny cooler....we were doing 65-68 mph comiing out of durango by way of sippapu to santa Rosa ....at turn to interstate he said he had to really push his rig to keep up and backed off....I asked him to join on here and give you his EXACT experience so you don't get it second hand.and he can answer any questions....I don't own a tundra but his truck is real nice....it was a TT loaded to approx 8k lbs...he loves it and I hope he posts here and clarifies my 'smoker biased' comments...... (tho mine neither smokes nor is loud )....lol
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #66
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Idling...hard on all engines
No warm up...hard on all engines
Short trips...hard on all engines
Cool down...good for all engines...esp air cooled and turbo engines

BTW: I have been driving diesel pick ups for 20 years and I rarely "cool the turbo", but I don't drive like a teenager....if I work it hard then I idle for a minute.
Gas or Diesel, those 10 degree or less mornings, I would let any vehicle warm up a few minutes before gingerly driving to let the drive-train fluids warm up. Normal temps, I just let it run for 30 seconds, or about enough time to plug in my phone, before taking off.

Only thing, with any turbocharged engine, I would let it idle for a minute during everyday use. That gives you a minute to check your messages you missed on your phone while you were driving.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
Old 11-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I went from a gas to a diesel and, although the diesel has more power, it certainly is not night and day difference. I was never in a situation with my gasser that I wished for a diesel. The gasser pulled fine with power to spare. The diesel pulls fine with more power to spare. Sorry to burst the diesel bubble but that's the way I see it.
I wouldn't trade my Diesel for Two Gasser's.

1970 Restored Cushman Trackster
Old 11-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #68
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olratlr View Post
I wouldn't trade my Diesel for Two Gasser's.

And I wouldn't trade my gasser for 2 diesels.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoot View Post

and i wouldn't trade my gasser for 2 diesels.
x10

Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #70

This discussion goes beyond whether you like diesel or gas. When I posted earlier should have clarified my main reason for switching from the 6.0 gasser to the duramax is because with my 6.0 gasser my maximum trailer towing weight was 9300lbs. I stuck with the exact same chassis but got the duramax with the Allison transmission that came with the same 3:73 gearing as my gasser. With that upgrade my max trailer weight jumped up to 15,800lbs. It pulls our tt with ease. Our gasser not only struggled in strong winds but I could not get any better than 6 mpg while pulling, so for me it was a no brainer. Let's focus on being informative to those who asked for advise, and stop criticizing others. Adios!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamblen View Post
This discussion goes beyond whether you like diesel or gas. When I posted earlier should have clarified my main reason for switching from the 6.0 gasser to the duramax is because with my 6.0 gasser my maximum trailer towing weight was 9300lbs. I stuck with the exact same chassis but got the duramax with the Allison transmission that came with the same 3:73 gearing as my gasser. With that upgrade my max trailer weight jumped up to 15,800lbs. It pulls our tt with ease. Our gasser not only struggled in strong winds but I could not get any better than 6 mpg while pulling, so for me it was a no brainer. Let's focus on being informative to those who asked for advise, and stop criticizing others. Adios!
This is very true. One thing to add. You may notice a decrease in available payload going from a gasser to diesel in the same model truck. ie. A 2500 with a6.0 may have a few hundred pounds more real available payload vs a 2500 with a Duramax due to added engine weight.
If I ever get a diesel, it'll be a 1T drw.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #72

Quote:
You obviously had a gas truck that wasn't designed to pull like the Fords gassers now.
If you are just a weekender camper and have a small 10,000 lb trailer and have lots of extra cash for a diesel go for it. Yes you will have more fully power and torque. Mileage between gas and diesel isn't that much of a difference.
Oh don't forget you must buy diesel at a cost of about 20% more than gas and don't forget to get your Diesel additive for truck built after 2010.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #73

Quote:
This is very true. One thing to add. You may notice a decrease in available payload going from a gasser to diesel in the same model truck. ie. A 2500 with a6.0 may have a few hundred pounds more real available payload vs a 2500 with a Duramax due to added engine weight.
If I ever get a diesel, it'll be a 1T drw.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #74
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wow, so much to take in. There are those who own gassers and swear by them, those who own diesels and swear by them, and those who have own both and swear about both. A lot of swearing going on here. I've owned both, and many of them, from multiple manufacturers. What I can say is, if a gasser will get you by, pulling what you have ... go with it. They are easier and cheaper to maintain. If you are "marginal" on towing with a gasser, then a diesel will ease your mental strain, but not your physical pocket book. You have decide which is more important at that point. If your towing requirements demand a diesel, then you are forced into your category in which you feel you must defend. Simple truth, a diesel will out pull a gasser any day of the week, but the cost of ownership is not viable for all. I went from diesels to gassers when my towing requirements decreased, and back to diesels when they increased. The new diesels are not finicky and they don't smell, and the gassers are getting higher tow ratings and improved mpg's. It's anyone's argument.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #75
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Wow, so much to take in. There are those who own gassers and swear by them, those who own diesels and swear by them, and those who have own both and swear about both. A lot of swearing going on here. I've owned both, and many of them, from multiple manufacturers. What I can say is, if a gasser will get you by, pulling what you have ... go with it. They are easier and cheaper to maintain. If you are "marginal" on towing with a gasser, then a diesel will ease your mental strain, but not your physical pocket book. You have decide which is more important at that point. If your towing requirements demand a diesel, then you are forced into your category in which you feel you must defend. Simple truth, a diesel will out pull a gasser any day of the week, but the cost of ownership is not viable for all. I went from diesels to gassers when my towing requirements decreased, and back to diesels when they increased. The new diesels are not finicky and they don't smell, and the gassers are getting higher tow ratings and improved mpg's. It's anyone's argument.
Very well said AquaMan! Your diesel even pulls the extra wt of all the rubber ducks including the free loader on the axle.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #76

When I wanted to get into camping I purchased a 1/2 ton Silverado just so I could pull a pop up. Well needless to say I didn't keep the pop up to long and moved up to a 23' hybrid. I could tell the camper was back there when towing but not enough to make me up grade trucks. Move forward I did upgrade the camper to a 24' travel trailer because I didn't like being cold due to the canvass bunk ends and when towing the new camper I could really tell the trailer was back there. So I decided it was time to upgrade trucks and purchased a 3/4 ton serria w/6.0 gasser. It pulled the trailer well, but did struggle on the back road hills of Missouri and I dare not run the air if I want to keep up my speed not to mention I didn't like the 7 mpg I got when towing. Then came the word we all know when it comes to camping UPGRADE. I purchased the trailer in my signature and my truck pulled it but I knew it was back there and still got 7mpg when towing. fast forward to this spring my serria had 176,xxx miles on it and I noticed I lost 25%of my oil pressure and the transmission started to act up. So now it was time to upgrade the truck rather than stick a small fortune in it. Since I had the serria and noticed it didn't tow as well as I liked. I had wanted a diesel for some before the truck started acting up. This spring I started looking for a used Duramax with the Allison transmission. but could only find trucks with very high miles with what I thought to be to high of a price tag. I had spoke with several people about replacing my truck and wanting a diesel. Then was informed about the fords with the 7.3's and how reliable they were and the term bulletproof was used by more than on person I spoke to. so I expanded my search to include fords. I checked a not so local Chevy dealers used inventory and found a 2001 f 250 xlt extended cab with the 7.3 with only 26,3xx actual miles. I test drove the truck and fell in love with it. Needless to say I signed over the title to the Sierra over and wrote a check for the ford. I think I did very well paying 19,800 for a truck that was very close to new. The first time I towed my camper with the diesel I couldn't wipe the smile off my face it towed like a dream. I will never own another gasser, it's diesel for me from now on. Not to mention with the required maintenance this truck should last me a very long time.

2008 wildwood 29fkss
2001 Ford F250 w/7.3 Power Stroke diesel
Old 11-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #77
Oklahoma Proud

I love my diesel duramax, but im thinking about getting and/ or converting a 1ton to CNG. I think that the $1.19 a gge (gasoline gallon equivalent) may override the loss of power im use too. But then again I may fall in love when the new body style duramaxs show up at work in a few months!!

Ps. Just got my Oklahoma State CNG alternative fuels certification.! (certification is required in oklahoma to touch anything CNG, propane or EV)
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #78

I think we really need to clarify a few things here since there are some folks actually trying to gain knowledge from this thread. For those of you who have commented asking questions or scared about diesel/gas etc lets just lay out a few things as most of this thread has been filled with people trying to justify their own purchase and the majority of this thread is people getting their panties in a bunch for no reason. The fact is there are 2 totally separate conversations going on that continue to be mixed together. The first is a performance and maintenance conversation of gas vs diesel. This is very simple. Diesel simply pulls and tows better than gas and ON AVERAGE (not always but most of the time) can run far more miles before needing an overhaul. Most Diesel trucks come completly stock with anywhere from 350-400 HP and roughly 800 ft lb torque. Most gassers on the market today from factory are very similar HP ratings (sometimes a touch more) and will typically be 350-450 ft lbs torque. HP means nothing at all when pulling or towing. Remember that because it is a fact. Torque and gearing is all that matters for towing. Simply put todays diesels will all out tow every gas truck out there and IN MY OPINION by a large margin. So, there really is no argument for conversation number 1. Do you want the truck that offers the highest tow rating? it will always be a diesel.

Now conversation 2 is Do I need a Diesel and is the difference worth the price and do I tow enough to justify the difference. This purely depends on your trailer, your wallet, and your preference. There are very capable gassers that can tow large trailers, just not AS large as diesel. Gassers are also cheaper to maintain (less oil, fuel filter changes, etc) At the end of the day, if you are happy with your truck and it tows your trailer then you are in great shape.

We can argue conversation number 2 until the cows come home and all we will be doing is wasting time but conversation 1 is just fact. My goal with this post is to encourage people who want to try to convince people that gas pulls just as well and people who insist everyone need diesel to relax. to each their own. I have owned both. I had a 3/4 ton with gas and now a 3/4 with diesel. Both very capable trucks. Lets try to put this to bed
Old 11-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #79
phat phrog stunt crew

it certainly is not night and day difference.

it most certainly IS a night and day difference. please tell me which gas motor was putting out comparable torque, and i will look into one of those. but the one restriction i have is that it cant rev to the stratosphere to do so. then i would really be interested.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #80
Oklahoma Proud

Kfp- here I'll pass the popcorn! ;D
Closed Thread