Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post
Lets try to put this to bed
Not yet.
Everyone hasn't spoken. It's very interesting to read how everyone thinks they are right.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 11-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #82
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Not yet.
Everyone hasn't spoken. It's very interesting to read how everyone thinks they are right.
Someone told me I was wrong once but, they were mistaken of course.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnthestix View Post
When I wanted to get into camping I purchased a 1/2 ton Silverado just so I could pull a pop up. Well needless to say I didn't keep the pop up to long and moved up to a 23' hybrid. I could tell the camper was back there when towing but not enough to make me up grade trucks. Move forward I did upgrade the camper to a 24' travel trailer because I didn't like being cold due to the canvass bunk ends and when towing the new camper I could really tell the trailer was back there. So I decided it was time to upgrade trucks and purchased a 3/4 ton serria w/6.0 gasser. It pulled the trailer well, but did struggle on the back road hills of Missouri and I dare not run the air if I want to keep up my speed not to mention I didn't like the 7 mpg I got when towing. Then came the word we all know when it comes to camping UPGRADE. I purchased the trailer in my signature and my truck pulled it but I knew it was back there and still got 7mpg when towing. fast forward to this spring my serria had 176,xxx miles on it and I noticed I lost 25%of my oil pressure and the transmission started to act up. So now it was time to upgrade the truck rather than stick a small fortune in it. Since I had the serria and noticed it didn't tow as well as I liked. I had wanted a diesel for some before the truck started acting up. This spring I started looking for a used Duramax with the Allison transmission. but could only find trucks with very high miles with what I thought to be to high of a price tag. I had spoke with several people about replacing my truck and wanting a diesel. Then was informed about the fords with the 7.3's and how reliable they were and the term bulletproof was used by more than on person I spoke to. so I expanded my search to include fords. I checked a not so local Chevy dealers used inventory and found a 2001 f 250 xlt extended cab with the 7.3 with only 26,3xx actual miles. I test drove the truck and fell in love with it. Needless to say I signed over the title to the Sierra over and wrote a check for the ford. I think I did very well paying 19,800 for a truck that was very close to new. The first time I towed my camper with the diesel I couldn't wipe the smile off my face it towed like a dream. I will never own another gasser, it's diesel for me from now on. Not to mention with the required maintenance this truck should last me a very long time.
Congrats on a great truck. you have what we call a perm-a-grin. The truck still is new and not really broke in. 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums You may have many questions and this is the place to get the answers at the 7.3 threads. If you have a question about your truck, these guys will have the answers. we will save you a ton of money on maintenance and repairs. We also like to spend other peoples money on Mods

One thing that you should look into is overhauling the fuel bowl and replace all of the o-rings in the fuel bowl and fuel lines. After 12 years they are at the end of their life and you will start getting leaks at the fuel/water drain. You can do it yourself in about an hour. Here is where to get parts and instructions. Give 'Guzzle' a call. Really nice guy and he can answer any question that you may have about a 7.3
Welcome to guzzle's Powerstroke Fuel Bowl Rebuild Web Page
DieselOrings
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/index.php

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 11-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #84

I guess the one big thing in this discussion is for right now it only applies to the full floating axle group diesel in the semi floating axle group is limited to a smalll number of SUVs at this time (Dynatrac - Confidence to ExploreŽ )
Some Specs:
Ford
2014 Ford Super Duty | View Full Engine Specifications | Ford.com
GMC
General Motors Engine Guide | GM Authority
RAM
2014 Ram Heavy Duty: projections and predictions
the diesels will generally come with larger cooling systems, greater alternator capacity, available engine brakes, transmission rated for higher torque loads larger fuel tanks etc.
As for maintenance - it depends on how you use the vehicle for my diesel (I bought it with 100km on the clock it now has 320,000km) I do 15,000km oil changes(Rotella T6), 20,000km fuel filters, and 30-40,000km air filter 60,000km / year lots of highway use. For the gas vehicles 5,000 oil (Quaker State Dino), fuel filter is built into fuel pump in tank so will have to wait till pump goes, 25,000 air filter, 160,000km plugs lots of short runs mixed with infrequent towing. Trans and brake fluid every 2 years (gas/diesel) coolant 5 yrs (gas/diesel) -- So far the diesel has a running cost of $0.12/km vs. gas $0.35/km --note diesel has cost a lot less $ per litre than gas over the time period which is shown in the lower cost of ownership
for those looking to buy -- bottom line get the right tool for the job - alot of short runs or only occasional high load usage perhaps you are better off in a gas vehicle -- look at a diesel if you have frequent high load usage or longer highway runs you will recoup the higher outlay on the diesel pretty quick IMHO
Old 11-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Congrats on a great truck. you have what we call a perm-a-grin. The truck still is new and not really broke in. 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums You may have many questions and this is the place to get the answers at the 7.3 threads. If you have a question about your truck, these guys will have the answers. we will save you a ton of money on maintenance and repairs. We also like to spend other peoples money on Mods

One thing that you should look into is overhauling the fuel bowl and replace all of the o-rings in the fuel bowl and fuel lines. After 12 years they are at the end of their life and you will start getting leaks at the fuel/water drain. You can do it yourself in about an hour. Here is where to get parts and instructions. Give 'Guzzle' a call. Really nice guy and he can answer any question that you may have about a 7.3
Welcome to guzzle's Powerstroke Fuel Bowl Rebuild Web Page
DieselOrings
Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Pages
Thanks I'm already a member on the FTE forum and go by the name Barnhartred. Your right there is plenty of info there and a bunch of great folks to boot. I have been researching of things I see there but the fuel bowl isn't on I had considered. I bought a Chilton's which I have to say is pretty much useless maybe for little things its ok. I follow a bunch of links like you have posted and watch a lot of you tube. I just changed the fuel filter and afterwards searched for leaks and found none but I will look and keep an eye out. I like to get under the hood and have a look see at least every other week for issues I have read about.

2008 wildwood 29fkss
2001 Ford F250 w/7.3 Power Stroke diesel
Old 11-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #86
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Very well said AquaMan! Your diesel even pulls the extra wt of all the rubber ducks including the free loader on the axle.
That was the logic I presented to DW when I brought home a $70k truck.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnthestix View Post
Thanks I'm already a member on the FTE forum and go by the name Barnhartred. Your right there is plenty of info there and a bunch of great folks to boot. I have been researching of things I see there but the fuel bowl isn't on I had considered. I bought a Chilton's which I have to say is pretty much useless maybe for little things its ok. I follow a bunch of links like you have posted and watch a lot of you tube. I just changed the fuel filter and afterwards searched for leaks and found none but I will look and keep an eye out. I like to get under the hood and have a look see at least every other week for issues I have read about.
Got the same Chilton's. I use it as a paper holder for all of the stuff that I down load from FTE. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM. If I can not give you a good answer, I know some guys who can. fyi, google mechanical (not electrical) diode for the '01 transmission. It is something that you should know about and it will depend on your 'build date'. You may notice that I run a 6.0 transcooler and not a 7.3. google that also.
https://b7445ba3-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites....attredirects=0

https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...-350-superduty

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 11-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #88

Me and the wife debated getting a diesel for years. To expensive and the fuel cost more. After we sat down and did the math. Upfront cost is nearly refunded to you with a higher resell value. The higher fuel cost is more then refunded to you by higher MPG. You cant even put a price on the torque of the engine, even driving in the mountains my RPM's don't even go up. We used to have to try and find a gas station to refill our gasser that would fit our 30' trailer but now with the diesel we pull in the truck stops in the truck bays, easy in and out. Even my wife now loves the truck and said we always have to have a diesel
Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #89
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Not yet.
Seems like a good enough time as any to post this again:

Old 11-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #90
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Seems like a good enough time as any to post this again:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2511537057.jpg
Views:	4206
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	42345

This meme explains the " never had a diesel crowd"! LOL

Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #91

I think the first thing is, You really need to think about what your going to tow. I pull a 42' 5r @18k lbs. I would hate to think of doing that with a gasser in any hills, much less the mountains.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #92

This discussion is ALMOST as bad as brand name discussions. Everyone has an opinion of this topic...almost political in nature.

Dodge diesel and 4X4, Scheaffer's Products, the South, conservative values, etc...

only in jest and all in fun all the time
Old 11-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
This discussion is ALMOST as bad as brand name discussions. Everyone has an opinion of this topic...almost political in nature.

Dodge diesel and 4X4, Scheaffer's Products, the South, conservative values, etc...

only in jest and all in fun all the time
I Second That
Old 11-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #94
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Name:   ForumRunner_20130912_103741.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  10.2 KB
Old 11-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #95
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Old 11-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #96

I really don't care what you have under your hood. I have a diesel and I like it. It's my second one. It's paid for. It pulls my 5er the way I like it to pull it and it handles the pin weight just fine. It always seems to get into a dust up when this subject is brought up. I don't have to stick my chest out because I have it. I can afford it. If you can't and what you have works for you, then more power to you. Just be safe with what you have.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #97

I was pulling a 25' Salem with my 5.3 Yukon. Guessing it weighed about 5000 lbs. never a problem. (didn’t even have the brake controller hooked up, unknowingly) did work manually however but it stopped pretty good. And I am a cautious driver. The Pilot part of me makes me plan a few turns ahead of myself. Not many hills around here though. Traded and got a new 1500, life was good, still with the 5.3. Mama says she wants a new camper 500' long, ok really 35 feet long, I talk her down to 32' long, sticker after sticker says 9-10 thousand lbs....I give up the 6 month old 1500 crew cab z71 for a diesel crew cab 4x4 and man what a ride when towing. BUT that is all I use it for though. The ride is quite rough and it takes a Wal-Mart parking lot to turn it around.

run what ya got just be safe and stay in a zone where you can get in trouble.
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
Old 11-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #98

Where you can't get into trouble....smart phones sheez
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
Old 11-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #99
phat phrog stunt crew

saw a new zl1 convertible today followed by a new stingray. they were stopped in my work zone, and the camaro driver said that his wife had the vette. they were christmas presents to each other.

funny thing tho, neither looked to be over mid 50's. maybe the economy IS improving. or their kids moved out of the house.

back to camping stuff. sorry to hijack.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Got the same Chilton's. I use it as a paper holder for all of the stuff that I down load from FTE. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM. If I can not give you a good answer, I know some guys who can. fyi, google mechanical (not electrical) diode for the '01 transmission. It is something that you should know about and it will depend on your 'build date'. You may notice that I run a 6.0 transcooler and not a 7.3. google that also.
https://b7445ba3-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites....attredirects=0

https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...-350-superduty
Thanks for the info. I see I have a mod to do next spring by adding the 6.0 trans cooler

2008 wildwood 29fkss
2001 Ford F250 w/7.3 Power Stroke diesel
Closed Thread