Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #1

Another Diesel vs. Gas Thread Moved From the Picture Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
similar here. started out with a 1500 GMC gas 6 months later 2500 diesel
Everyone starts out with a gas , then finds out how much pleasurable it is to have a diesel towing

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #2

1st tow this weekend with my F250 6.7 PSD...so glad I traded the 6.2 gasser..much better tow...and a 6 mpg improvement over the gasser...sat in 6th gear almost the whole trip locked in at 67mph...as previously stated I made the mistake of the gasser and 6 months later traded to the Diesel. 2014 F250 6.7 PSD with a Windjammer 3006W, Equalizer brand WD hitch. Solid as a rock..was getting about 9 mpg on the gasser, now getting 15.2 mpg with about a 400 mile tow this weekend.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Steve Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post

Everyone starts out with a gas , then finds out how much pleasurable it is to have a diesel towing
Not everyone. Some of us can't afford a diesel. But God bless ya if you can.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Agree with slideout1961, I have never even thought about buying a diesel. My little gasser does just fine, it pulls the trailer @ 65mph just like any other truck, maybe not from 0-65 as fast, but I'm not in any hurry.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #5

Quote:

there are those that have a diesel, and those who justify not having/needing a diesel....to each their own but at the end of the day in any given scenario the.. diesel is gonna be a better towing vehicle.......in the end almost every person I have ever debated with agrees that if money were no issue they would use a diesel....then it turns into a pissing arguement about how much $$ I waste ...?? again to each his own...fact is a diesel is made to tow..
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
Old 11-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post

Not everyone. Some of us can't afford a diesel. But God bless ya if you can.
Who said you have to buy "new" to afford a diesel...I sure didn't!
Happy Fall Camping
Old 11-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post

Who said you have to buy "new" to afford a diesel...I sure didn't!
Happy Fall Camping
amen..!! I was about to buy a used ford and bullet proof it... woulda been half the price I paid....but after watching my father in law and brother tow and love their 6.7 I opted to eat the depreciation and just go new....warranty is worth the peace of mind to me......nonetheless I NEVER wanted a diesel...but....In the end conceeded ..there is no comparison in a gasser and a diesel while towing...none...zero...zilch...anything a gasser will do a diesel will do it better all things equal. .. (in regards to towing)..

I agree there is still a case for the smaller trailers who are not towed much....but my point still stands...

-Jeremy
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
Old 11-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #8

I went from a gas to a diesel and, although the diesel has more power, it certainly is not night and day difference. I was never in a situation with my gasser that I wished for a diesel. The gasser pulled fine with power to spare. The diesel pulls fine with more power to spare. Sorry to burst the diesel bubble but that's the way I see it.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Old 11-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I went from a gas to a diesel and, although the diesel has more power, it certainly is not night and day difference. I was never in a situation with my gasser that I wished for a diesel. The gasser pulled fine with power to spare. The diesel pulls fine with more power to spare. Sorry to burst the diesel bubble but that's the way I see it.
Then you are pulling a light trailer or live in a very flat area. I too used to tow with gas and did it get the job done, sure.. but no where near as well as my diesel. There is a post about getting there quickly earlier and that is spoken from someone who does not understand. It is not at all about speed. It's about the comfort and consistancy. Here in PA we have rolling hills and mountains and very little flat area. My gasser was constantly down shifting and screaming to keep my speed up grade. On those same hills I can have my cruise control set and not down shift a single gear pulling with diesel. Diesel makes all of it's power at much lower RPM's so the towing experience is much nicer. Again, to each their own and I totally understand the cost argument. You have to tow often to justify it but that is a different argument than performance in which there really is no argument.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Sorry to burst the diesel bubble but that's the way I see it.
and yet you have a diesel.

A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
Closed Thread