Old 12-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #11

I get passed by 5th wheels all the time. I know the are running 80 burning the black coal. I run about 70 my jeep seem to to best around that speed. But spent some money to make it safer.

Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Mine are 14" tires... I normally travel at 65 towing. I can honestly say that I have gone 70 downhill not really watching, but catching myself and realizing I was over where I usually am... It's just that I've never tried to tow a TT that far... and at 65 it's gonna be a LONG trip. I want to upgrade my tires, anyway. I don't like to be on the side of the road, for any reason.

Thanks for the info, folks...

At 70-75, you'll save 1-2 hours each way by the math. Once I settle in for a long drive 18 vs. 19 or 20 hours doesn't make a huge difference for me. I'm just more comfortable towing at a lower speed. But, to each his own...

Old 12-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
I get passed by 5th wheels all the time. I know the are running 80 burning the black coal. I run about 70 my jeep seem to to best around that speed. But spent some money to make it safer.
lol well I have to say I have been guilty of that once or twice down the interstate lol
Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
At 70-75, you'll save 1-2 hours each way by the math. Once I settle in for a long drive 18 vs. 19 or 20 hours doesn't make a huge difference for me. I'm just more comfortable towing at a lower speed. But, to each his own...
this is true however the biggest loss of speed and time is towing on a hilly stretch of road ( like where I run ). if you TV is at it's limit or close and you consistently droop 7 to 10 mph on each hill then you will tack on a couple more hours to the drive so 1 - 2 winds up being 4- 5 in that case on an 8 hr normal drive!
Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #15

Back before the internet and I learned how stupid, dumb and ignorant I was. I would pull out 40' triple slide, triple axle Travel Supreme behind our F350 single rear axle PSD down the road at 70MPH all day long. And I did this on LT tires to boot.

Was it safe? By todays standards I would have to say "NO". And most would agree.

Did anything happen or did the world come to an end.."NO".

Sometimes an education and numerous resources to back it up don't give you what you want to hear.

And while they say "An Education is a terrible thing to waste", the loss of life would be worse. While you can't see into the future, you can do your best to plan for the worse.

Now, go have some fun!!!

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #16

I learned a LONG time ago that asking a question, and expecting to hear just what I want to hear isn't going to happen... I also learned, sometimes by NOT asking... and almost always the hard way... that I ain't the sharpest pencil in the box...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I learned a LONG time ago that asking a question, and expecting to hear just what I want to hear isn't going to happen... I also learned, sometimes by NOT asking... and almost always the hard way... that I ain't the sharpest pencil in the box...
Or as I heard it said earlier today:
"I may not be the brightest penny in the box.....but I'm not dull"

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Back before the internet and I learned how stupid, dumb and ignorant I was. I would pull out 40' triple slide, triple axle Travel Supreme behind our F350 single rear axle PSD down the road at 70MPH all day long. And I did this on LT tires to boot.

Was it safe? By todays standards I would have to say "NO". And most would agree.

Did anything happen or did the world come to an end.."NO".

Sometimes an education and numerous resources to back it up don't give you what you want to hear.

And while they say "An Education is a terrible thing to waste", the loss of life would be worse. While you can't see into the future, you can do your best to plan for the worse.

Now, go have some fun!!!
"40' triple slide, triple axle Travel Supreme"
that is one tall heavy unit lol

"Sometimes an education and numerous resources to back it up don't give you what you want to hear."

it's the education and resources to back it up..... that give us the info to make the correct choices for design and components as to how to correct or finish the manufacturers design/mistakes so there is no loss of life!

Tags
tire