Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

Another dumb tire question...

My TT came with load racge C tires. These are TowMax Chinabombs... and I've already had one separate. I replaced it with the same size Maxxis and have had no other problems.

I know sidewall flex generates heat and the faster they flex, the more heat is built up... and that's why tires fail if not damaged by something else. With the increased pressure, it would seem to me that I could go faster because the sidewall would flex less at the higher pressure.

I have a trip planned in February that's about 1k miles each direction. The Interstate speeds are up to 80 mph in stretches out west. So, here's the dumb question: If I go to load range D tires and run 65psi instead of 50, can I SAFELY drive faster, like 70 or 75?
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

The tire manufactures have a limit of 65 mph on all ST tires. So the short answer would have to be no. Many people do drive over the 65 limit, what we do not know is if they have a tire fail. Just because they do not have a problem does not mean it is OK of travel at this speed. Many people also drive their cars over the speed limit and never get a speeding ticket. Just because they were never caught does not make it right to speed.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

Kumho 857 or rated for 89 miles per hour. I don't run more than 75 on down hill runs. But not sure of any other tire. Not sure on the air them over and running faster. Sounds bad to me. Most of the tires are max 65 and max air max weight then they blow.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Radial+857
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Always Learning

First, make sure that your wheels are rated to 65psi. They may not be.

Second, Maxxis responded to a dealer inquiry by one of our members (wmtire) and indicated that if you use the load table and increase the PSI by 10psi for the load, you can travel at 75mph. Above that, you start to derate the load carrying capacity and increase the pressure. If I were going to bank on this, I'd want individual wheel weights - not just total axles or even individual axle weights. It can be tricky to get them depending on where you go for weights. The load table is based on the wheel carrying the most weight.

That said, I'm a staunch 62-64mph driver regardless of speed limit (the highest speed limit that I've driven it has been a 70 or 75 mph area). It's a dark day for me when I exceed it for any length of time.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
Kumho 857 or rated for 89 miles per hour. I don't run more than 75 on down hill runs. But not sure of any other tire. Not sure on the air them over and running faster. Sounds bad to me. Most of the tires are max 65 and max air max weight then they blow.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Radial+857
this is very interesting info

I don't see 225 /15's or 235/16's as an option from them in that speed rating and I know several that run both at 70 to 75 mph including myself however we are all over gvwr rating by 30% or more and were not hauling at max gvwr or out axles as printed on the stickers. in the op's case I would go to a better tire with a load range E. this is my personal opinion as I understand st tires but a better brand is still required and I know that's not an easy task since 99% of st tires are made in china.

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #6

Your right 14 is the only size the Kumho 857.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
Old 12-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #7

Mine are 14" tires... I normally travel at 65 towing. I can honestly say that I have gone 70 downhill not really watching, but catching myself and realizing I was over where I usually am... It's just that I've never tried to tow a TT that far... and at 65 it's gonna be a LONG trip. I want to upgrade my tires, anyway. I don't like to be on the side of the road, for any reason.

Thanks for the info, folks...
Old 12-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #8

We have had our kumho tires (14") for a year with about 2000 miles. We usually keep our speed at 67-70 tires never a problem.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #9

I had a tire deformed on my new trailer. Then started looking for a speed rated tire. This is a R rated tire and hold 2094 pounds. It's the best I could find.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
Old 12-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Mine are 14" tires... I normally travel at 65 towing. I can honestly say that I have gone 70 downhill not really watching, but catching myself and realizing I was over where I usually am... It's just that I've never tried to tow a TT that far... and at 65 it's gonna be a LONG trip. I want to upgrade my tires, anyway. I don't like to be on the side of the road, for any reason.

Dang I am old...I remember 55 saves lives
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #11

I get passed by 5th wheels all the time. I know the are running 80 burning the black coal. I run about 70 my jeep seem to to best around that speed. But spent some money to make it safer.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
Old 12-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:

At 70-75, you'll save 1-2 hours each way by the math. Once I settle in for a long drive 18 vs. 19 or 20 hours doesn't make a huge difference for me. I'm just more comfortable towing at a lower speed. But, to each his own...
Old 12-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
I get passed by 5th wheels all the time. I know the are running 80 burning the black coal. I run about 70 my jeep seem to to best around that speed. But spent some money to make it safer.
lol well I have to say I have been guilty of that once or twice down the interstate lol

Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
At 70-75, you'll save 1-2 hours each way by the math. Once I settle in for a long drive 18 vs. 19 or 20 hours doesn't make a huge difference for me. I'm just more comfortable towing at a lower speed. But, to each his own...
this is true however the biggest loss of speed and time is towing on a hilly stretch of road ( like where I run ). if you TV is at it's limit or close and you consistently droop 7 to 10 mph on each hill then you will tack on a couple more hours to the drive so 1 - 2 winds up being 4- 5 in that case on an 8 hr normal drive!

Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #15

Back before the internet and I learned how stupid, dumb and ignorant I was. I would pull out 40' triple slide, triple axle Travel Supreme behind our F350 single rear axle PSD down the road at 70MPH all day long. And I did this on LT tires to boot.

Was it safe? By todays standards I would have to say "NO". And most would agree.

Did anything happen or did the world come to an end.."NO".

Sometimes an education and numerous resources to back it up don't give you what you want to hear.

And while they say "An Education is a terrible thing to waste", the loss of life would be worse. While you can't see into the future, you can do your best to plan for the worse.

Now, go have some fun!!!

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #16

I learned a LONG time ago that asking a question, and expecting to hear just what I want to hear isn't going to happen... I also learned, sometimes by NOT asking... and almost always the hard way... that I ain't the sharpest pencil in the box...
Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #17

Quote:
I learned a LONG time ago that asking a question, and expecting to hear just what I want to hear isn't going to happen... I also learned, sometimes by NOT asking... and almost always the hard way... that I ain't the sharpest pencil in the box...
Or as I heard it said earlier today:
"I may not be the brightest penny in the box.....but I'm not dull"

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Back before the internet and I learned how stupid, dumb and ignorant I was. I would pull out 40' triple slide, triple axle Travel Supreme behind our F350 single rear axle PSD down the road at 70MPH all day long. And I did this on LT tires to boot.

Was it safe? By todays standards I would have to say "NO". And most would agree.

Did anything happen or did the world come to an end.."NO".

Sometimes an education and numerous resources to back it up don't give you what you want to hear.

And while they say "An Education is a terrible thing to waste", the loss of life would be worse. While you can't see into the future, you can do your best to plan for the worse.

Now, go have some fun!!!
"40' triple slide, triple axle Travel Supreme"
that is one tall heavy unit lol

"Sometimes an education and numerous resources to back it up don't give you what you want to hear."

it's the education and resources to back it up..... that give us the info to make the correct choices for design and components as to how to correct or finish the manufacturers design/mistakes so there is no loss of life!

Tags
tire