Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #11

You need to watch your rear axle weight rating with the F-150's ...You will most probably exceed it when you load up your trailer and the bed of the truck. You might be ok on the tow numbers but your rear axle weight rating will be the tricky one, even with a good weight distributing hitch.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Also, remember that posted tow ratings for your truck are based on an EMPTY truck! Every pound in the truck comes OFF the maximum camper you can tow.
To expand on what Lou is stating.

If the truck is maxed out at the GVWR (7200 lbs. ??), then that limits the tow capacity due to the GCWR.

For example, the listed GCWR of the 2010 F150, 5.4L, 4x4, Crew Cab with 5.5' bed and 3.55 gears is listed at 15,500 lbs. with a 9600 lb. tow rating.

To tow a 9600 lb. trailer, you could only have 5900 lbs on the truck axles. My 2006 F150 Super Cab weighs about that with me in the seat, some personal gear in the cab, a bed liner, TracRac rails, a small tool box and a few other items in the bed.

A 4x2 even has a less GCWR.....15,300 lbs, but does have a 9800 lb. tow rating for the 5.5' bed. Each of the 6.5' beds have 100 lb. less tow rating

The GCWR is going to be 1 of the determining factors. 1 of the others to consider is the GVWR. When I hang a 700 lb. trailer tongue on my truck, let the missus and dog in the cab with me, and load camping gear in the bed, I am getting pretty close to my GVWR. A 786 lb. tongue weight is going to "grow" significantly when you start loading gear into the trailer. That is probably going to be in the 900 to 1000 lb. range. That will add to the weight of the truck, and probably get you close to the GVWR with your other gear and passengers.

It would be a good idea to load up your truck with passengers and expected load for camping, and get to some scales before you buy the trialer, just to see what kinda tongue weight you can add.

1 other item is to make sure your hitch is good to go. There should be a label on the hitch stating your tow rating, and especially important is your weight distributing tongue weight capacity. You will definitely need a properly setup WDH, and ideally 1 with integrated sway control.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #13

Thanks for the advice

Thanks everyone. It looks like my truck will be okay for the Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8311ss. However, now I feel a bit better hearing it from the "experts"
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #14

2010 FX4 towing a 8306SS with an Equalizer. No issues other than its long!!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper

Look at the sticker on the drivers side door post. It lists your GVWR and payload specific to your truck not a spec on the internet. From this you will better be able to figure what you can really tow.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tffsoldier View Post
Thanks everyone. It looks like my truck will be okay for the Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8311ss. However, now I feel a bit better hearing it from the "experts"
I am sorry; how did you get that from the posts here?

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/design/...oorplan=8311SS

This shows a "loaded" weight of 8450 for this camper. Your tongue weight will fall between 10% and 15% (or 845 - 1268 pounds) Properly loaded the tongue weight should target 1056 pounds.

Weigh your truck NOW with all your folks and gear you plan on having in the truck (including the hitch) and add 1056 pounds to it to see how your truck's GVWR, GCWR, and axle ratings stack up with a load on.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #17

Well. The problem is that I am currently deployed and not able to actually weigh my truck. I am trying to get an idea if anyone currently uses a similar truck/trailer combo. My wife may be purchasing the camper while I am away. So, we are just trying to see if this camper would be okay with my truck. I do know that my truck has a GVWR of 7200lbs and that we would be traveling with very little in the bed of the truck. Also, the majority of the time I will not be carrying water and too many other things in the camper. Any further opinions would be much appreciated before we decide on anything.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
JUST ME.... ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN MATH. Better to have safety and less stress with a comfortable ride than a white knuckle nightmare camping trip. keep you and your family safe and happy. Check out this link its an eye opener.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-v...l:signhavefun:

Should be (Required) reading before having a RV. Youroo!!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Should be (Required)reading before haveing a RV. Youroo!!
X-2... thank you youroo.It's better to have a safe comfortable trip for you and your family than a dangerous white knuckle nightmare.

Just me, do the math yourself.It's a real eye opener
Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tffsoldier View Post
Well. The problem is that I am currently deployed and not able to actually weigh my truck. I am trying to get an idea if anyone currently uses a similar truck/trailer combo. My wife may be purchasing the camper while I am away. So, we are just trying to see if this camper would be okay with my truck. I do know that my truck has a GVWR of 7200lbs and that we would be traveling with very little in the bed of the truck. Also, the majority of the time I will not be carrying water and too many other things in the camper. Any further opinions would be much appreciated before we decide on anything.
Actually everyone says that; but no one I know does.

While few actually travel with more water in the tank than needed to flush the hopper a few times and wash your hands, nearly all carry some. No one I know drains the fresh water tank after sanitizing it since you would have to sanitize again every time you need to use it. Keeping some chlorinated water in there and replacing it regularly, is a good thing.

Food, clothing, camping gear, lawn chairs, entertainment items, bedding, screen tents, tools (lots in my case), mods to your camper, pots, pans and dishes will add up faster than calories at a buffet.

I run close to my max when camping for more than a weekend.
I am sure there are very few "barefoot" campers.
We do like our comforts.

IMO, be safe and plan your purchase on running the camper at its max (rather than empty); then take less (if it turns out that way) as a safety buffer and less wear and tear on the truck.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote