Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Again, you are so right.... plan for the max and work back if you have to. What a great way to think about it.

grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
We have the exact trailer 2013 8311ss with diamond package and our tv is a 2010 f150 4x4 with 9600lb rating. We use a 12,000lb Equalizer 4-point sway control WDH. Built in Ford brake control works great. No problems after driving around north Texas and all the way to the Smoky Mountains and back. We love it!
We don't load much in the truck other than some lightweight bicycles.
Thanks for your service and good luck to you in your rv adventures!!

4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
Camper Less Camping
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Actually everyone says that; but no one I know does.

While few actually travel with more water in the tank than needed to flush the hopper a few times and wash your hands, nearly all carry some. No one I know drains the fresh water tank after sanitizing it since you would have to sanitize again every time you need to use it. Keeping some chlorinated water in there and replacing it regularly, is a good thing.

Food, clothing, camping gear, lawn chairs, entertainment items, bedding, screen tents, tools (lots in my case), mods to your camper, pots, pans and dishes will add up faster than calories at a buffet.

I run close to my max when camping for more than a weekend.
I am sure there are very few "barefoot" campers.
We do like our comforts.

IMO, be safe and plan your purchase on running the camper at its max (rather than empty); then take less (if it turns out that way) as a safety buffer and less wear and tear on the truck.
IMO take your time and accurately figure what your truck can handle including all gear and people for a typical trip...your truck will thank you!
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
Site Team
Thank you for your service and thank you to your family for their sacrifices.

You need to know more about your trucks capabilities than just my truck can tow x lbs. (I learned this the hard way). Most TV are limited by their payload. To find out your trucks true towing capacities then you need to go weigh it. Is your wife stateside? She can do this, it is easy. Have her load the truck up with all occupants, pets, and cargo that will be in it when towing plus a full tank of fuel and then go weigh it at a local scale (CAT Scale) . She will want to bring a broom handle or something to reach the button. Have her weigh each axle on a separate scale pad so it will give you a breakdown of front and rear axle weights individually and a total weight. Take the total weight and subtract it from your trucks gvwr to get your available payload. Take the scaled truck weight and subtract it from your trucks gcwr to get your adjusted towng capacity.

Next understand you will never tow an unloaded or dry trailer. Those numbers are somewhat irrelevant. You can either add the amount of weight of cargo you will tow to the dry weight (this is heavier than you think as most add 1000-2000 lb of gear) or simply use the tt gvwr to do your calculations. Being that this is your first tt, using the tt gvwr is the safer route for you. Next understand that the tt loaded tongue weight needs to be subtracted from your available payload. The loaded tongue weight is typically 13-15% of the loaded tt weight. For your purposes go wiith 13-15% of the tt gvwr. Remember you will need a good wdh, preferrably one with integrated sway control like the equal-i-zer or reese dual cam.

As stated before, don't rush this. If you have to, wait until you get home and then buy the TT. By the way, the words of advice on truck weight come from having bought a tt that was within tow capacity of my old armada but over on payload. It made for a very not fun towing experience. After I got pushed down a 7% mountain grade on a twisting road in VA I decided i'd had enough. Traded the armada for my diesel f250 last jan. This tt weighs 7000 lbs loaded (5700 dry and has a 7700 lb gvw). The old armada had a tow capacity of 9100 lbs but only 800 lbs of available payload after family and dog. This tt has about 1000 lb tongue weight. The diesel loves towing it. Now we are dreaming about a fifth wheel. (Wasn't an option with the old suv). We might trade this spring or fall if I can get the weights to line up for this TV. Best of luck to you. Stay safe over there and have a speedy return.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
As stated here the downfall of the 1/2 ton chassis is the payload this is the number you will almost always fall short on long before the max towing number. I went from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton Ram same trucks both quadcab and 4x4 gas 5.7 HEMI engine both 6 foot beds. I gained an additional 1,300 lbs of payload (doubled the 1/2 ton) and I will say the new truck is MUCH more comfortable to tow with than that 1/2 ton was. My hitch weight is very high 980 dry so 1,200lbs i'm sure is still a low estimated figure. I never weighed anything on any scales I just know at 6,400 lbs dry weight i have room to spare now. Another thing wich was briefly mentioned is hitch weight rating. I too must address this issue as even tho I stepped up to a 3/4 ton Dodge uses the same hitch on all their pickup trucks. They are rated at 1,200 hitch and 12K total so my hitch weight is a lil too close for comfort and I will be installing a 1,500 tongue / 15K hitch setup.
2013 Wildcat 323QB
08 Silverado Crew Cab 2500HD Duramax-Allison
Twin Honda 2000 campsite friendly generators
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #26
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post

Its also very important on a proper hitch set up in making for a good experience. I asked a similar question before buying my 34' TT and was told I did not have enough truck for such weight. Lots of folks chime in on this, it almost prevented me from purchasing as I thought I was either going to buy something my family of 6 would outgrow in a very short number of years or i was going to risk killing them by towing with to small of a TV.

I have an 11' Expy 4x4 with HD Tow package and it does great towing the Tracer 3150BHD. I also have a Hensley Arrow Hitch, that was the key for me. My wheel base is 119" vs your F150 which is longer (better). Having never towed before and having a brand new 34' TT, I was a bit OCD on ensuring the family would be safe. We made 9 trips this year, there was lots of wind on the highways, and I will say that the Hensley hitch made the difference. Most of our trips had small inclines, I do want to hit YellowStone next year, that will be a challenge with the mountains, etc. but something I still think can be done safely. Take your time, keep your distance and under 65mph and you should be fine.
Great Post !!!! Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
Everyone can do as they see fit run the numbers if your over your over its fairly cut and dried here. If your overweight and still choose to travel then its on you. Most on here are all big boys and gals
2013 Wildcat 323QB
08 Silverado Crew Cab 2500HD Duramax-Allison
Twin Honda 2000 campsite friendly generators
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #28
IMO, US towing ratings are riduclously low. I think it's a CYA move by the auto manufacturers to avoid lawsuits.

As an example, my 2003 Kia Sedona minivan has a US limit of 3500 pounds. The exact same vehicle in Europe, with a slightly smaller engine has a limit of 3000 Kg (6600 pounds!). Many British RVers with TTs pull 30-footers with a Range Rover. My uncle used to pull a 19' TT with an Austin Cambridge sedan which developed 55 horsepower on a very good day. It had a 4-speed sick shift and drum brakes. They towed that thing all over Europe - Black Forest, Swiss Alps, etc., with no problems.

I can't decide whether automakers in the US market are scared of lawsuits or whether they think US drivers are so incompetent at towing as to be hazardous. Maybe it's that European judgements in injury lawsuits are much lower?

With the proper tansmission controller program and a heavy duty cooler, I'd have no problem towing a 5500 pound trailer with my Sedona, if it wasn't for the risk of my insurance company denying coverage if I had an accident.

Many years ago, while on vacation near Southampton, UK, we met a young couple with a small child who had towed a 32' park-model trailer frrom the north coast of Scotland with a 1950 Morris Minor. That little car had an L-head 995 cc engine that developed 35 hp on a good day and maybe weighed 1400 lb. The husband said they'd hd some "very slow climbs on hills" and the car had "overheated a few times".

Can you imagine trying that today?

Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote