Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #21
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
But to my feeble mind, the actual weight is needed regardless of the meaningless percentage. Being a little fictitious, what makes the difference if it is 10% or 30% as long as the actual weight is within the lawyer stickers?
How do you suggest someone estimate the pin weight for a brand new model to the market while they're researching what to buy?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
Fulltime family RVer

Herk! Thank you for being wrong! You blew my mind with being 8% lower!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #23

Quote:
But to my feeble mind, the actual weight is needed regardless of the meaningless percentage. Being a little fictitious, what makes the difference if it is 10% or 30% as long as the actual weight is within the lawyer stickers?
You seem to be missing the point.

You are right... it doesn't make a difference what the percent ratio is...

but if you know it... as Doug calculator can provide...

you use it as a tool to estimate what the loaded pin weight would be before purchasing.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Herk! Thank you for being wrong! You blew my mind with being 8% lower!
That was bothering me all day. I went back and (wouldn't you know it) picked a different (and wrong) one to correct my numbers.

It is correct below now. Feel terrible.
I am coming down with CRS these days...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
OC,

What we are trying to do is to answer the age old question; "Can my truck pull this?" BEFORE they buy it.

By using the floorplan's dry weight and pin/tongue (Yes, I know meaningless), we think we can predict within a percent what the pin/tongue load will be for an camper at its GVWR.

For example using the attached brochure from 2010 (since it is there) and we look at a Flagstaff 8528RLWS with a dry weight of 6830 and a dry pin of 1187 we get a pin ratio of 17.4%

At its max GVWR of 9187, THAT MODEL of camper should have a pin fully loaded around 1600 pounds. If your existing truck (loaded for camping with family, gear, hitch, gas, etc.) does not have a REMAINING payload of 1600 pounds, that model/floorplan is too much for your truck.

So the calculator seems to be running fairly close with verified numbers (except for my mistake).

STILL, IMO, the best way is to use the "optimum" 5th wheel pin ratio (20%) times the GVWR and see if you can carry that. (12% for a TT)
Then you can play with loading to move the weight around some.
That make sense to try to predict with some degree of accuracy what the loaded pin weight will be, but whether it is 10% or 30% is of no consequence.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #26

Hmm...

should I use my power of invisibility for good or evil?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
That make sense to try to predict with some degree of accuracy what the loaded pin weight will be, but whether it is 10% or 30% is of no consequence.
Oh come on Coot. To "predict with some degree of accuracy" and not use the figures handed to you from the factory? The whole calculation scenario is a "what if" from the start. If you already have a fifth and you're slightly intrigued about whether you are within limits or not, you take it to a scale. If you're shopping, the best method is to use calculations from given data, his calculator does this.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Oh come on Coot. To "predict with some degree of accuracy" and not use the figures handed to you from the factory? The whole calculation scenario is a "what if" from the start. If you already have a fifth and you're slightly intrigued about whether you are within limits or not, you take it to a scale. If you're shopping, the best method is to use calculations from given data, his calculator does this.
Not what I said AquaMan, I agree with the calculations using the percentages, I just said it didn't make any difference whether the percentage was 10% or 30% as it is just a multiplier. If the dry wt % is 10% fine, use it, if it just happened to be 30%, use 30%. I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily have to be between normally accepted values between 15%-25%.

Also, if my weight was within the lawyer sticker wt and it turns out to be 30% instead of in the range of 15-25, it's no big deal.

Keep cool Timmy.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #29
Fulltime family RVer

OC, so you're agreeing with the premise of the calculator? I feel like we're trying too hard if we're in agreement...
Old 12-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #30
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
You're right- the actual percentage is inconsequential - but it then gives you a multiplier to use against either GVWR or against an estimated actual loaded weight to come up with a close to realistic loaded pin weight (which you can the decide to go with or against the truck's stickers).

On the "Advanced" calculator that I have, I show the percentage, but down lower, I do the math to show the possible/likely pin weight and even break it down for axle weights for those who want to know.

Tags
weight