Old 04-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #51
Infractee

Thanks for the calculator Doug!

Just scaled my new camper and plugged it in to the calculator. In addition to weighing combined and TV by itself, I weighed the camper by itself (landing gear on steer axle pad and camper axles on drive axle pad) and the numbers were all pretty close and worked out like you would think they should.

Now I need to find some creative ways to shift weight aft as I am above my RGAWR cap due to a 3500LB pin weight which is 33% instead of the recommended 15%~25% (I know, it is just a number) but well below my trailer axle weight caps. And of course all of the storage is up front

Really enjoy all of your blog items and pics, your factory tour pics are awesome!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #52
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Thanks for the calculator Doug!

Just scaled my new camper and plugged it in to the calculator. In addition to weighing combined and TV by itself, I weighed the camper by itself (landing gear on steer axle pad and camper axles on drive axle pad) and the numbers were all pretty close and worked out like you would think they should.

Now I need to find some creative ways to shift weight aft as I am above my RGAWR cap due to a 3500LB pin weight which is 33% instead of the recommended 15%~25% (I know, it is just a number) but well below my trailer axle weight caps. And of course all of the storage is up front

Really enjoy all of your blog items and pics, your factory tour pics are awesome!
Jeez- 33% pin weight? That's like whoa! I can't help but feel like something is wrong with 33% pin weight.

When I weight my fifth wheel, I do 2 passes:

1) With truck + fifth wheel
2) Park the fifth wheel in a big rig spot and weigh the truck alone

You can then run the numbers to figure out pin weight, camper weight, etc.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #53
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Jeez- 33% pin weight? That's like whoa! I can't help but feel like something is wrong with 33% pin weight.

When I weight my fifth wheel, I do 2 passes:

1) With truck + fifth wheel
2) Park the fifth wheel in a big rig spot and weigh the truck alone

You can then run the numbers to figure out pin weight, camper weight, etc.
Yes, like I said, I weighed it combined (camper & TV) then I weighed TV by itself. Then plugged the numbers into your calculator and that is what it says. Also, I weighed camper by itself.

It do seem high but scale don't lie, especially CAT Scale.
Just gonna have to figure out how to move weight to the rear to try and add to axles while removing from pin.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #54
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yes, like I said, I weighed it combined (camper & TV) then I weighed TV by itself. Then plugged the numbers into your calculator and that is what it says. Also, I weighed camper by itself.

It do seem high but scale don't lie, especially CAT Scale.
Just gonna have to figure out how to move weight to the rear to try and add to axles while removing from pin.
Would the pin weight not be less than the landing jacks weight?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #55
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would the pin weight not be less than the landing jacks weight?
I do not know, OC. Was kinda hoping someone knew for sure. Seemed like since the moment arm is longer that weight would be less at landing gear than pin. Weighing the camper by itself it was about 400 lbs less at landing gear than my calculated pin weight if I remember correctly. With the excess weight being back kn axles.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #56
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I do not know, OC. Was kinda hoping someone knew for sure. Seemed like since the moment arm is longer that weight would be less at landing gear than pin. Weighing the camper by itself it was about 400 lbs less at landing gear than my calculated pin weight if I remember correctly. With the excess weight being back kn axles.
Well, if I remember correctly, the farther away from a pivot, the lighter the load, so if you measure the distance from the center of the axles to the landing gear and then from the center of the axles to the pin, multiply the wt x the lg to axle distance and divide that by the p to axle distance it would give you the new pin wt. i.e. 8'(axle to lg) x 3300=26,400 26400/13'(axle to pin)=2030.77#
Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #57
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Well, if I remember correctly, the farther away from a pivot, the lighter the load, so if you measure the distance from the center of the axles to the landing gear and then from the center of the axles to the pin, multiply the wt x the lg to axle distance and divide that by the p to axle distance it would give you the new pin wt. i.e. 8'(axle to lg) x 3300=26,400 26400/13'(axle to pin)=2030.77#
I can measure it this weekend. When I get home in a little bit I will post pics of my scales, see if you can make sense of it.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #58
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I can measure it this weekend. When I get home in a little bit I will post pics of my scales, see if you can make sense of it.
Measure to a point that is midway between the rear of the front tire and the front of the rear tire to the centerline(cl) of the landing jack post and from the cl of the post to the cl of the pivot pin.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #59

Doug, I have no idea how I missed this thread in the past with all the mess I went through, so...sorry! I got intrigued by this and went to your site and plugged in the numbers for my 365 as it was described in the brochure. Only thing is that the numbers were pretty far off as to how the rig was delivered due to options. My unit, on the brochure, was listed at a shipping weight of 11873 and a pin of 2060 for a GVWR of 14060. As some of you know, my rig came to the dealer at 13035 with options. So things went downhill from there for a while Knowing I had a camper with a pin weight(dry) of 2060 lbs I knew I my dually would carry it That being said, I did have the rig weighed and here are the results.

Truck:
Steer: 5300
Drive: 4140
Gross: 9440

With camper:
Steer: 5220
Drive: 7140
Trailer Axle: 13180
Gross: 25540

As you can see, it was over my GCWR for my '10 dually, but not for my '13 I have now. The difference in truck weight is negligible. You can see the loaded pin weight is 3000 lbs on the nose which divided by the 15180 for the total camper is a 20% pin weight.
Your site calculates as a dry pin of 17.4% with an increase of 3% up to a estimated pin weight of 2868 lbs. Not bad my friend.. not bad! Now, if we could just get people to do research BEFORE they buy their rigs, that would be nice. But most will go on the word of a salesman until they get into trouble or start having mechanical problems. When they start with the research themselves, then they realize what has happened. Kind of like me with the 6k axles!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #60
Infractee

Combined weight, TV & camper parked appropriately on scales.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140414_175941.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	49835  

Tags
weight