Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #61
Infractee

TV parked on scales
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397516953943.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	49836  
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #62
Infractee

And finally,camper only parked on scales, landing gear on steer axle and axles on drive axle*

I did not completely unhook camper from TV. I used the landing gear to lift it till I could see pin move up on 5th wheel. So I do believe this weight is close if not perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397517108220.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	49837  
Old 04-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #63
Infractee

DaveGray, not sure what happened to your post but, nobody taught me how to weigh a camper. I just wanted to see what the camper weighed at, by itself. Not sure what kind of problem you are having with this concept but it is pretty straight forward. As for the scale letting me do it, I was out among hundreds of 18 wheelers, there is no person manning the scales, you pull up and hit a button and they talk to you over a speaker.
Thanks for your input tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #64
Site Team - Lou

While a little "out of order," WHAT you did is just fine as far as the required axle weights are concerned.

I have found it is less time "on scale" to weigh first "together" then drive off and drop the camper in the lot; get back in line, if there is one, and just weigh the truck.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #65
Always Learning

I'm still amazed at your numbers and can't help but feel like something is wrong with the weighings. I do see that you weighed with the landing gear down and got similar numbers, so that should prove out the math between the truck and truck + camper (and it mostly does).

Looking at the specs for your camper, it has a designed-in pin weight of 19% (link to my estimator). I've heard anywhere from 1% to 3% and even a 4% increase from dry weights to loaded weights- I've just never heard of a 13+% increase (link to my actual scale calculator).

Looking at your floorplan, it does seem that almost all storage is going to be at/over the axles or ahead of them (other than around your entertainment center and some overhead cabinets above the sofa). But still, those numbers are astronomical.

I might suggest re-weighing even at another scale if there happens to be a different one close. I know we had a member who weighed with numbers that were off (like 8,000 pound pin weight!). They reweighed and must have done something different because their numbers fell in line with expectations.

Cheers.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #66
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm still amazed at your numbers and can't help but feel like something is wrong with the weighings. I do see that you weighed with the landing gear down and got similar numbers, so that should prove out the math between the truck and truck + camper (and it mostly does).

Looking at the specs for your camper, it has a designed-in pin weight of 19% (link to my estimator). I've heard anywhere from 1% to 3% and even a 4% increase from dry weights to loaded weights- I've just never heard of a 13+% increase (link to my actual scale calculator).

Looking at your floorplan, it does seem that almost all storage is going to be at/over the axles or ahead of them (other than around your entertainment center and some overhead cabinets above the sofa). But still, those numbers are astronomical.

I might suggest re-weighing even at another scale if there happens to be a different one close. I know we had a member who weighed with numbers that were off (like 8,000 pound pin weight!). They reweighed and must have done something different because their numbers fell in line with expectations.

Cheers.
I had thought about a possible error but all 3 weighs are within the 3 sets of numbers as far as they seem to jive so I am not sure about it.
My next step is to do a dry weight check, I am going to empty out the basement storage and have nothing in the bed and scale it again and see what the difference is and see if I can change it for the better...
Old 04-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #67
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
I had thought about a possible error but all 3 weighs are within the 3 sets of numbers as far as they seem to jive so I am not sure about it.
Yes, very . They all add up to each other and jive but seem just frightfully off. Weird. Do keep posting with your updates- I'm intrigued.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #68
Infractee

Quote:
Yes, very . They all add up to each other and jive but seem just frightfully off. Weird. Do keep posting with your updates- I'm intrigued.
There is very little storage behind the axles, the OHC's above couch are lightly used and two very small cabinets next to entertainment center are barely big enough to hold a few dozen DVDs.

The bulk of storage starts around the rear axle and goes forward with the pantry being all the way forward.
I think I am going to empty it out completely and reweigh...

BTW the brochure weight is 9400 with a pin weight of 1800, yellow sticker is 9700 and scaled is 10,700 so it is telling me I have added 1,000 Lbs,all of it above my pin apparently yet that still does not add up to 3500 lbs....
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #69
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
There is very little storage behind the axles, the OHC's above couch are lightly used and two very small cabinets next to entertainment center are barely big enough to hold a few dozen DVDs.

The bulk of storage starts around the rear axle and goes forward with the pantry being all the way forward.
I think I am going to empty it out completely and reweigh...
I saw that you have essentially no storage behind the axles. But still a 13% is blowing my mind.

I think before you empty it out, try reweighing the truck + camper and truck alone, just to make sure those numbers jive with these.

Then, if they do- suffer through emptying it out. I did that with ours when it went back to the factory and fully understand the amount of suck that is.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #70
Infractee

Quote:
I saw that you have essentially no storage behind the axles. But still a 13% is blowing my mind.

I think before you empty it out, try reweighing the truck + camper and truck alone, just to make sure those numbers jive with these.

Then, if they do- suffer through emptying it out. I did that with ours when it went back to the factory and fully understand the amount of suck that is.

That is the part that really troubles me, have only had it for a month, I have not had enough time to collect a bunch of stuff in it yet!
If the weather cooperates this weekend I am going to take measurements and also do a reweigh.

I am still baffled by how the base brochure weight is 9300 with an 1800 pin weight, yellow sticker weight is 9700 and scale weight is 10700. Yes camper weighs 1K lbs more than sticker but even if all of the 1K lbs were directly over the pin it would still not make it a 3500lb pin.

I think doing a completely empty weigh is going to be the only thing that truly answers some questions. May have to get creative on the scales and see if my truck will fit both axles on a single pad and then raise the pin off of the hitch with landing gear on a different pad to get a true pin weight. My apologies to DaveGray in advance for doing something as assinine as this will surely be...
Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #71
Always Learning

I'd take a passenger to really double check that you're on each scale individually. I don't know the post that you mention, but there is no need to unhitch or raise the camper off the truck (I thought I had read somewhere that it's against the "scale rules" to lower your landing gear- but I can't recall where I read that).

If I were you, I'd try to do 3 weighings:

1) truck and camper (truck front wheels on 1 scale; rear wheels on another and camper axles on the 3rd)
2) truck and camper (split the camper axles across 2 scales- make sure truck is not on the same scale as the front axle)
3) truck only (front wheels on one scale and rear wheels on another)

Weighing #2 isn't needed, but it may give some credence to the numbers in weighings 1 and 3. And saves you from lowering the landing gear on a scale.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #72
Site Team - Lou

I will be doing a split axle weigh this spring.

I lifted the hitch body on my Pullrite slider 3 inches and want to see if that evened out the weight distribution on my 4 trailer tires. Based on tire wear patterns, the axles were carrying different loads.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #73
Infractee

Quote:
I'd take a passenger to really double check that you're on each scale individually. I don't know the post that you mention, but there is no need to unhitch or raise the camper off the truck (I thought I had read somewhere that it's against the "scale rules" to lower your landing gear- but I can't recall where I read that).

If I were you, I'd try to do 3 weighings:

1) truck and camper (truck front wheels on 1 scale; rear wheels on another and camper axles on the 3rd)
2) truck and camper (split the camper axles across 2 scales- make sure truck is not on the same scale as the front axle)
3) truck only (front wheels on one scale and rear wheels on another)

Weighing #2 isn't needed, but it may give some credence to the numbers in weighings 1 and 3. And saves you from lowering the landing gear on a scale.
That sounds like a plan then.
I have not heard about it being illegal to lower landing gear. Maybe for a commercial truck it might be? Maybe they can more evenly distribute a load and get away with being too heavy on trailer axles? There are no signs warning against this at the scales and it certainly could not cause any damage to the scales. And if there was a truck waiting behind me I certainly would not do it.
I will do a split weighing as well as I would like to see what each axle is carrying but I am afraid that based on the crazy pin weight I am going to see a lot more on front axle?

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate the experienced help! I just want to get it sussed out so I can sleep a little easier LOL
Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #74
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I will be doing a split axle weigh this spring.

I lifted the hitch body on my Pullrite slider 3 inches and want to see if that evened out the weight distribution on my 4 trailer tires. Based on tire wear patterns, the axles were carrying different loads.
Lou, what kind of tire wear issues are you having? Was the trailer not level before?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #75
Infractee

Doug, Got her to the scales today after emptying the basement and fwd storage areas.
(Only thing in basement is 45' 50A power cord)
Feel MUCH better after this scale trip!

TV & FW

Steer Axle 4500
Drive Axle 5300
Trailer Axle 8300
GCW 18100

TV Only

Steer Axle 4340
Drive Axle 3440
TTL 7780

Trailer Axles split weigh

Front Axle 3920
Rear Axle 4380
TTL 8300

My rear bias *may* be due to me carrying the front end a little high? I am about 2"~3" higher on nose that I would like, still need to adjust the B&W to bring it down a few notches.
Overall very pleased to know that I am at approx 2K pin weight which is approx 20% of my TTL. I will sleep soundly tonight... LOL!

Thanks again for your help and your awesome pin weight calculator!!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #76
Always Learning

You're welcome. The numbers do look inline. I'll be curious if you redo the 2 weighings once you're loaded back up.

Thanks for the kind words.

Link to your weights:
Actual Weights - Fifth Wheel Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

Tags
weight