Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397516953943.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	49836  

Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #62
Infractee

And finally,camper only parked on scales, landing gear on steer axle and axles on drive axle*

I did not completely unhook camper from TV. I used the landing gear to lift it till I could see pin move up on 5th wheel. So I do believe this weight is close if not perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397517108220.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	49837  

Old 04-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #63
Infractee

DaveGray, not sure what happened to your post but, nobody taught me how to weigh a camper. I just wanted to see what the camper weighed at, by itself. Not sure what kind of problem you are having with this concept but it is pretty straight forward. As for the scale letting me do it, I was out among hundreds of 18 wheelers, there is no person manning the scales, you pull up and hit a button and they talk to you over a speaker.
Thanks for your input tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #64
Site Team - Lou

While a little "out of order," WHAT you did is just fine as far as the required axle weights are concerned.

I have found it is less time "on scale" to weigh first "together" then drive off and drop the camper in the lot; get back in line, if there is one, and just weigh the truck.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #65
Fulltime family RVer

I'm still amazed at your numbers and can't help but feel like something is wrong with the weighings. I do see that you weighed with the landing gear down and got similar numbers, so that should prove out the math between the truck and truck + camper (and it mostly does).

Looking at the specs for your camper, it has a designed-in pin weight of 19% (link to my estimator). I've heard anywhere from 1% to 3% and even a 4% increase from dry weights to loaded weights- I've just never heard of a 13+% increase (link to my actual scale calculator).

Looking at your floorplan, it does seem that almost all storage is going to be at/over the axles or ahead of them (other than around your entertainment center and some overhead cabinets above the sofa). But still, those numbers are astronomical.

I might suggest re-weighing even at another scale if there happens to be a different one close. I know we had a member who weighed with numbers that were off (like 8,000 pound pin weight!). They reweighed and must have done something different because their numbers fell in line with expectations.

Cheers.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #66
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm still amazed at your numbers and can't help but feel like something is wrong with the weighings. I do see that you weighed with the landing gear down and got similar numbers, so that should prove out the math between the truck and truck + camper (and it mostly does).

Looking at the specs for your camper, it has a designed-in pin weight of 19% (link to my estimator). I've heard anywhere from 1% to 3% and even a 4% increase from dry weights to loaded weights- I've just never heard of a 13+% increase (link to my actual scale calculator).

Looking at your floorplan, it does seem that almost all storage is going to be at/over the axles or ahead of them (other than around your entertainment center and some overhead cabinets above the sofa). But still, those numbers are astronomical.

I might suggest re-weighing even at another scale if there happens to be a different one close. I know we had a member who weighed with numbers that were off (like 8,000 pound pin weight!). They reweighed and must have done something different because their numbers fell in line with expectations.

Cheers.
I had thought about a possible error but all 3 weighs are within the 3 sets of numbers as far as they seem to jive so I am not sure about it.
My next step is to do a dry weight check, I am going to empty out the basement storage and have nothing in the bed and scale it again and see what the difference is and see if I can change it for the better...
Old 04-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #67
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
I had thought about a possible error but all 3 weighs are within the 3 sets of numbers as far as they seem to jive so I am not sure about it.
Yes, very . They all add up to each other and jive but seem just frightfully off. Weird. Do keep posting with your updates- I'm intrigued.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #68
Infractee

Quote:
Yes, very . They all add up to each other and jive but seem just frightfully off. Weird. Do keep posting with your updates- I'm intrigued.
There is very little storage behind the axles, the OHC's above couch are lightly used and two very small cabinets next to entertainment center are barely big enough to hold a few dozen DVDs.

The bulk of storage starts around the rear axle and goes forward with the pantry being all the way forward.
I think I am going to empty it out completely and reweigh...

BTW the brochure weight is 9400 with a pin weight of 1800, yellow sticker is 9700 and scaled is 10,700 so it is telling me I have added 1,000 Lbs,all of it above my pin apparently yet that still does not add up to 3500 lbs....
Old 04-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #69
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
There is very little storage behind the axles, the OHC's above couch are lightly used and two very small cabinets next to entertainment center are barely big enough to hold a few dozen DVDs.

The bulk of storage starts around the rear axle and goes forward with the pantry being all the way forward.
I think I am going to empty it out completely and reweigh...
I saw that you have essentially no storage behind the axles. But still a 13% is blowing my mind.

I think before you empty it out, try reweighing the truck + camper and truck alone, just to make sure those numbers jive with these.

Then, if they do- suffer through emptying it out. I did that with ours when it went back to the factory and fully understand the amount of suck that is.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #70
Infractee

Quote:
I saw that you have essentially no storage behind the axles. But still a 13% is blowing my mind.

I think before you empty it out, try reweighing the truck + camper and truck alone, just to make sure those numbers jive with these.

Then, if they do- suffer through emptying it out. I did that with ours when it went back to the factory and fully understand the amount of suck that is.

That is the part that really troubles me, have only had it for a month, I have not had enough time to collect a bunch of stuff in it yet!
If the weather cooperates this weekend I am going to take measurements and also do a reweigh.

I am still baffled by how the base brochure weight is 9300 with an 1800 pin weight, yellow sticker weight is 9700 and scale weight is 10700. Yes camper weighs 1K lbs more than sticker but even if all of the 1K lbs were directly over the pin it would still not make it a 3500lb pin.

I think doing a completely empty weigh is going to be the only thing that truly answers some questions. May have to get creative on the scales and see if my truck will fit both axles on a single pad and then raise the pin off of the hitch with landing gear on a different pad to get a true pin weight. My apologies to DaveGray in advance for doing something as assinine as this will surely be...

Tags
weight