Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Post Another pin weight calculator - need testers

I have been working on a web page for calculating pin weight percentages based on dry weights + then estimated an actual loaded weight for folks who want to get an idea of what their pin weight might be on a specific camper. It's largely geared towards fifth wheels as that's what I'm most familiar with, but I think it should work with TTs.

Anyway, if you're willing to test this out and are relatively "in the know" on weights and calculations, please PM me.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #2

I am definitely not "in the know". I hope you will post your web page. This is one area I would like to better understand. Thanks for your efforts.

GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

I will. I want to make sure it's working right before I go and publish it.

It's supposed to be a simple calculator - you enter the dry hitch weight and dry/unloaded vehicle weight and it figures out the pin percentage.

It lets you increase that by 0.5% - 1.5% which I've found based on loading of my front storage.

And it lets you estimate your actual camper's weight.

It should then give you the estimated pin weight for an actual loaded camper.

That's the theory, at least.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You could add in the estimated axle and tire loads, while you're at it. Simple enough to calculate, but for those who don't want to do the calculations, they could have it right in front of them.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

True. Once I figure out the pin weight, it's just a matter of subtracting that from the camper's loaded weight.

I'm having a hard time deciding between too complex and keeping it simple enough that it's not intimidating (which was a HUGE issue for me as I was figuring this stuff out).
Old 12-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My thought would be to have the 2 dry figures you already talked about, and then have an input for additional cargo. From this you could essentially have 2 sets of figures, dry and cargo. As for the variance on percentage of pin weight, I would just put a set figure of 1%(split the difference), since this would be somewhat minimal, each unit is different, and no real way of figuring without actual weights.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Correlation between dry pin weight + loaded pin weight

So, given some feedback that I've received so far of folks who used my calculator and then compared it against their scaled receipts. It's somewhere between and and at how far off it is.

What I'm finding is that there seems to be little correlation between the dry pin weight percentage and the actual wet/loaded pin weight percentage. In different cases, I'm seeing anything from +0.5% to +4.5% to -8% (yes, *minus eight percent*).

So now the real question is- is there any usefulness in a tool like this that cannot handle the variance of actual campers out there?
Old 12-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

For those that helped, I greatly appreciate your time.

Here's what I have put together:
Learn To RV: Towing Pin/Tongue Weight Calculator
Old 12-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Doug, I know for our rear kitchen 5vr, the dry and loaded pin weights were the same percentage. For most other layouts, that wouldn't apply. You can study the layout, look were the main storage areas are, what kind of weight you'd be putting there and the position relative to the axles, and come up with a WAG whether pin weight % will increase or decrease. In some case you can alter that outcome by loading different. In other cases there just isn't any storage areas of significance behind the axles on some 5vrs.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

I have to ask what to you folks might seem a dumb question. What makes the difference what percentage the dry pin weight is or the wet pin weight? Isn't it the actual pin weight the important thing?

Tags
weight