Old 07-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby75 View Post
Guess we have been lucky! Bought our 2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS late last year. Took delivery in December and started out for an extended trip in February till June. Put on 15K miles on new truck and 7k - 8k on the 5'er. Fortunately swapped out the load range C Chinese tires for some dealer recommended load range D tires prior to going out. Guess the tire mfg on the original equipment. That's right -Trail Express

dcheatwood:Sorry 'bout your experience
Hey man. I dont see any luck in your story. Just wisdom and good decision making.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #12

Just returned from my first camping trip with the 2015 8282WS...

I had the Trail Distress LRC tires replaced with GY Marathon LRD's within a few days (and 20 miles) of picking up the trailer. They were balanced with the TST TPMS sensors on.

When I had them installed, I had them set the pressure to 58. That was a fairly warm afternoon and when we left on a cool morning, they were around 54. Running at 60mph on the highway in 80 degree temps, the highest ever seen was 60PSI and 90 degrees (on the side in the sun).

Being in Canada, tires, mounting and balancing cost $825 but I just sold the OEMs for $250.

The peace of mind was worth it to me.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Site Team

Dave. I wanted to do it. I knew i should have done it. I just waited too long. BUT as of 11:30 AM today, i have marathon LRD on mine too. I plan to sell my trail "distress" also.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #14

After a 3500 mile trip last month and a short 830 mile trip this past week the Akuret grenades have shown no sign of self detonation.
Will they, perhaps but then without pulling them apart I can not be sure.
So for now they stay put.
Just my experience and should not be considered a guide.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #15

Sorry for your tire problems. I feel your pain. I just got back from a short trip of about a 100 miles each way and found myself right at 2000 bucks poorer. I didn't realize that you should replace the tires every 5 years or so that seems to be the general rule from what I gather from fellow campers and the tire place. We are new to the camping scene so now we are wiser. We have a 2004 Cedar Creek 38KTS and the tires were Goodyear G614's. The size is LT235/85R16 but the date code was 4407. So they were pushing 7 years of age and this is a pretty heavy 5th wheel. I put the same tire back on the camper but I will jerk them off at the 5 year mark and since I'm partial to Michelin I may go with them next. Any advice on tires I'd greatly appreciate. You could look at the 7 year old tire compared to the new ones even mounted and I swear you cannot tell which tire is the new one other than looking at the date code so forget using looks as a guide!!! Also I wasn't pulling fast at all, after all this was in the mountains. I had three of them blowout damaging both sides of the camper but only the sheet metal. The 1st blowout was at about 60mph and the last was only going 45 mph because by that time I knew I was in trouble but had no choice but to try and get it to where I could get it serviced in a safe place. Also I have TPMS on the truck and camper tires but with a blowout due to separation there isn't any warning until the darn thing has already blown. And on the last one that didn't blow but only separated there was nothing but steel belts showing but the tire guy just about crapped when he saw that it was still inflated to the correct pressure of 110 psi. He said that if this ever happened again to deflate the tire because it could explode if left inflated. I know that sounds like a lot of pressure but they are load range G and the tire folks said to inflate them to 110psi but at ambient temps w/o sun heating them. I hope this spares someone the expense and stress that it caused me!!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
After a 3500 mile trip last month and a short 830 mile trip this past week the Akuret grenades have shown no sign of self detonation.
Will they, perhaps but then without pulling them apart I can not be sure.
So for now they stay put.
Just my experience and should not be considered a guide.
I doubt you will see or get any warning as to when they blow or disintegrate.

The majority of the experience on the forum is you are courting disaster, BUT, it's your trailer and your money. Like the Boy Scouts motto, "Be prepared"
Old 07-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #17

Any suggestions on a place to get tires mounted on an RV. When I bought the last one from Walmart, they don't put them on RV anymore. Camping World is the only place that comes to mind. I'm currently in the Columbus, Ohio area. If Walmart would put them on, I would have bought a set last time instead of just one.
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Any suggestions on a place to get tires mounted on an RV. When I bought the last one from Walmart, they don't put them on RV anymore. Camping World is the only place that comes to mind. I'm currently in the Columbus, Ohio area. If Walmart would put them on, I would have bought a set last time instead of just one.
I took mine to the local GY store.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Darrell. I got mine today at a Walmart. Got my last ones at a Goodyear store. Both changed them one at a time with a floor jack to the frame.
I have learned that some Walmart stores will do RVs. Depends on who operates the tire and lube dept. Also, there are lots of private tire dealers that would appreciated the business.

Tags
tire