Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #21
rebmeM

The camper empty was 6550 with propane/batts, no water from weight station. And the truck with just me was 5750. The weight we had last would only be met again when we PCS or retire in three years. We normally have about 6.8-7K on the trailer and truck weight is about 7K including the tongue weight. So, with reading the weights for the truck, I'm under the max load (fairly close to it because of the tongue weight) and about 70% on the trailer weight. Not too bad on a normal use.

2014 F-350
2011 Stealth 2612
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 keystone View Post
I have a chevy avalanch z71 with the 5.3 motor and am pulling a 6500 dry weight tv in W.V lots of mtns I am getting ready to up grade to a bigger truck. You can pull it you just cant pull it good.
Well, I feel Dusty's comment should be revisited. Without knowing his rear axle ratio I will put the max camper weights for each axle here for his reference.
(they are for the 2011 Avalanche)

4WD 5.3L V-8 3:08 rear = 4,900 pound camper
4WD 5.3L V-8 3:42 rear = 5,400 pound camper
4WD 5.3L V-8 3:42 with HD cooling package = 7,900 pound camper
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
my dealer told me my '08 Tahoe-5.3, 3.73 would tow my 34'er "no problem". Boy am I glad I didn't listen to him! Traded before the trailer arrived. I was scared to death pulling a trailer that length before I even got it. After the first couple trips....quite relaxed....The Silverado 3/4 ton does an awesome job!
The lowest rear listed for the 2011 Tahoe 5.3L is 3:43 and the max trailer weight for that is 6,000 pounds. With the factory HD Cooling package it increases the max trailer weight to 8,500 pounds.

You also have length issues with a 31 foot camper. I am very sure you are happy with the Silverado.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn View Post
The camper empty was 6550 with propane/batts, no water from weight station. And the truck with just me was 5750. The weight we had last would only be met again when we PCS or retire in three years. We normally have about 6.8-7K on the trailer and truck weight is about 7K including the tongue weight. So, with reading the weights for the truck, I'm under the max load (fairly close to it because of the tongue weight) and about 70% on the trailer weight. Not too bad on a normal use.
The best way to figure all this out is to load your camper and tow vehicle as you would depart on a camping trip. That means your family is in the truck; the fuel tank is full, and the camper has the amount of water you typically travel with (for flushing etc).

CAT Scale Search
Take it to the local scale and weight everything hooked up. Steering axle on the from pad; drive axle on the second pad, camper's wheels on the third pad. Have the operator record your numbers. Then pull off the scales, drop the trailer and pull back on. Reweigh just the truck with the steering axle on the front pad and the drive axle on the second pad. The second weighing will only cost you a buck at the CAT scales.

Use the calculator Travel Trailer Weight Calculator and your maximum weights for (Truck - Gross Weight; front axle maximum weight; drive axle maximum weight; maximum payload; hitch capacity : Camper - Maximum gross weight) and actual weights from the yellow sheets to find out if you are stressing anything or operating with an unsafe load. If everything checks out you will KNOW (not guess) you are safe.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #25
rebmeM

Already did this - several times and it came up well within limits. Thanks for the heads up!

Why pay for a scale, when we have two outside the gate for free? One single axle scales, and the other for all axles.

2014 F-350
2011 Stealth 2612
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #26

Well... the deal was to sweet to pass up! The dealer gave us a GREAT trade price. We went in yesterday negotiated more and put money down. They are going to store it for us until spring. DW, kids, and I are really excited for spring! Seems so far away when its -13 outside!

I know we are going to be pushing the limits but will hopefully be upgrading to a 3/4 ton diesal in the next few years. Kinda upset that i didnt buy the 3/4 ton when i got this one! I was thinkin about the 3/4 but let people tell me to much truck. Dang.. always trust your gut. I am adding leaf springs and using a 1200/12000 EQ hitch with a good brake controler. Anything else i can/should do until the trade? Thanks for all the input!
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote