Old 10-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Another Weight Distribution Hitch Thread

Traded trucks from Silverado 1500 to Silverado 2500 HD. The difference in the hitch height was approx. 2 inches.
I had to buy another shank to drop that low, I was at the bottom of the adjustment on the one I had.

I did it at home with measurements, my trailer was 130 miles away. We went today to move the Windjammer to another trailer park closer to my next job, about a 30 mile trip.

I measured my fender wells before I left. Fronts were 39 5/8, Rears were
42 3/4.

I have the hitch ball pretty much straight up in the assembly, lots of room for backward tilt.

After hooking up and pulling out on the campground street I noticed the trailer was a little high in front and the wdh bars weren't parallel to the frame, they were closer to the trailer frame at the chain end than at the hitch end.

I measured the fender wells on the truck. 40 inches in front and 41 inches in back.
I didn't want to take up another link on the chains since I was already trailer high in front and a little high on the front of my truck. So I pulled it like it was and it pulled fine.

But I want it right before I pull it the 130 miles home later in the year and then on down to Florida for the winter.

So if I'm figuring this right I should tilt the ball back to lower both the front of the trailer and the bars to get them parallel to the frame of the trailer.

Then take it up another chain link to put more pressure on the front wheels of the truck.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance.

KingFisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:28 AM   #2
Crookedread

That's what I did but after lowering the bars so they were parallel with the trailer frame, I did not have to add additional links. I am pretty sure that I added 3 washers.

I had to make several adjustments and lowered it one more hole but kept at it until it was right. Hope that works for you!!

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312

Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedread View Post
That's what I did but after lowering the bars so they were parallel with the trailer frame, I did not have to add additional links. I am pretty sure that I added 3 washers.

I had to make several adjustments and lowered it one more hole but kept at it until it was right. Hope that works for you!!

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Thanks, you were the only response.

We're going up there tomorrow to stay for a few days and aim the satellite dish. If my truck is level enough I'll try and adjust on it.

Maybe if I had posted I was pulling it with a 1/2 ton I would have got more responses.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Crookedread

One more thing I forgot to add is that the front end of my new truck with the diesel is much heavier than the rear end. My new truck has a lot more weight capacity than my old truck so I cinched the chains up more than in the past and brought my front end down to its regular height. When I drove the truck, it felt awful. When I got to the scales I could tell that I had transferred too much weight to the front end and made the rear end of the truck light. I backed off the links until I got it all balanced out. Love it now!! Good luck to you and even if it takes hours to get everything perfect, it will pay off for thousands of miles of driving.

Please notice no response to the 1/2 ton remark. Ha ha

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Old 10-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #5

While we were up at the trailer the driveway to my site sloped too much to make an accurate adjustment.

I thought I'll bring the hitch and bars home and see what I can do on my level shop floor.

I backed the hitch ball backwards one notch and the bars are almost touching the floor, there's a lot of play in my receiver though with the 2" to 2.5" adapter.

So when I get layed off, hopefully not until the end of the year, I'm going to hook it up like it is and pull out on the street and see what she looks like. If I don't like it I'll take it where I bought it and pay them to get it right. They're great people, Mom and Pop probably 80 years old and sons who are in their 50's probably and they always treat me right.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:43 AM   #6
Crookedread

I pulled out on the road in front of my house several times to measure up and adjust. After several times my neighbor came over and suggested that if I couldn't remember where I was going it might be a good idea to write it down and tape it to the dash. LOL

Crookedread
2016 2500 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312

Tags
hitch, weight