Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC
I'd recommend a Hensley hitch if you want to eliminate sway instead of trying to control it, but you will get the idea here that it is too costly, but how much is your safety worth, look for a used or refurbished Hensley or even a Pro-pride, no more white knuckles and everyone one else is safe to.
X2...about the best (most expensive) option for large TT's if you want to tow smoothly like a fifth wheel...IMO

Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #12

I have the equalizer and it ran 600 or so. Works great but is noisy when turning but doesn't bother us. We pull 29 footer. With dodge 1500 with no sway.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #13

Here is a link to RVWholesalers, and their Equil-i-zer WDH Kits
12,000/1,200 lb kit is $492.
Wait until early spring, and they always have a sale. I think I got my 10,000/1,000 lb kit for $399. Unless you need it for the winter, I'd wait until spring, get the Equil-i-zer. Another friction bar might help, but likely not enough, and what a pain!!
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
daydreaming about camping

Well - back to the beginning this week.

I thought I had my situation solved - had read on the Reece website of an upgrade to the dual cam system - so went to local dealer for install on Friday only to find out that the Reece Pro set-up I have simply cannot interchange with the dual cam set-up.

Talked with the dealer who stated they only sell the Reece Pro - and recommended adding a second bar.

After pulling this weekend I think I am using the wrong terminology. I am not getting pendulum like sway, but rather a push from whatever side force is being exerted by wind or vacuum. trying to decide if any hitch is truly going to help with this.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The Reese Pro spring bars are straight. You need the bars with a crook in the end....about $90 each from Etrailer. But....I am not sure that the crooked spring bars (either the square trunnion or the round bars, depending on what you have now) will work with the Reese Pro head assembly.......a call to tech support at Cequent towing should answer that.

The dual cams setup is $185 from Etrailer.

If the crooked bars will work, using the same head assembly and shank, you can get the dual cam anti-sway for about $360....that includes free shipping.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #16

unfortunately the head is different as well. I looked at one setup in the trailer retailer showroom, the way the bars mount ot the head is a very different design.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
unfortunately the head is different as well. I looked at one setup in the trailer retailer showroom, the way the bars mount ot the head is a very different design.
Whoopsie.

Did you ever check out your weights on a CAT scale ?? How about the 2nd sway bar ??

Old 11-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post

After pulling this weekend I think I am using the wrong terminology. I am not getting pendulum like sway, but rather a push from whatever side force is being exerted by wind or vacuum. trying to decide if any hitch is truly going to help with this.
What you are experiencing might be typical for a bumper pull trailer. As a tractor trailer approaches to pass me in the passing lane, the bow wave of that will tend to "push" the back end of my trailer away from the truck. When the back end of the trailer moves over, the tongue moves the opposite way, trying to "suck" my truck over there in the passing lane A slight move of my steering wheel corrects that, with no problem. If I know the truck is coming, I will move over a little to the right, and that little bit will help some.

I can even see this action sometimes when 1 semi passes another in front of me. When semis cut a hole in the wind, the air has to go somewhere....and that is mostly to each side and above the combo.

Sometimes getting behind a semi will throw me all around with wind buffeting. I can't figure out why some rigs do that, and some don't. With semis that don't have the buffeting effect, I kinda like riding in their slip stream.....I figure that might just save a little gas.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8
Well - back to the beginning this week.

I thought I had my situation solved - had read on the Reece website of an upgrade to the dual cam system - so went to local dealer for install on Friday only to find out that the Reece Pro set-up I have simply cannot interchange with the dual cam set-up.

Talked with the dealer who stated they only sell the Reece Pro - and recommended adding a second bar.

The ProPride & Hensley hitch are sold to eliminate this very problem...depending on how much of a problem it is for you, it's a costly setup.
The side force exerted on your TT will be either wind or semi trucks blowing pass you, sometimes uneven roads will cause a little too.
You can't do much about the wind but you can compensate for the semis passing you by giving yourself as much space between you and the truck, as others have noted.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #20

totally confused by this hitch head. I was looking at the Reece website, Pro series and do not see 1000 lb bars period. Add to that the picture of the hitch head is different from mine. my bars clearly state they are 1000 lb on the sticker. They are the round bar style and mount inside collars on each side of the hitch with a pin in the top to hold them in place. the picture on the website shows them mounting in a different head...