Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #21

The goal is to make yours more trouble to steal than the next guys. Because if they want it bad enough they will get it. I use and love my Proven Industries hitch lock. https://www.provenlocks.com/ I also wrap my safety chains around the hitch leaver and pad lock them. That way they can not be used and adds more time and effort for the thief . Check out these Videos. https://www.provenlocks.com/pages/demo-videos.

PS they are not cheap but you get what you pay for.
LarryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #22

My travel trailer is currently stored without the batteries in it. They would have to bring a battery to retract my electric jack.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #23

I try to keep honest people from walking off with my stuff, to stop a thief buy good insurance. I need a new camper and a new truck.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #24
code.org

Proven Industries

Saw this:

https://www.amazon.com/Proven-Indust...s+coupler+lock

on a YouTube video:

Looked like an interesting solution, but need to do a bit more research before I invest that much money. Any feedback from someone using this product?
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
Saw this:

on a YouTube video:

Looked like an interesting solution, but need to do a bit more research before I invest that much money. Any feedback from someone using this product?
Oh no... not LOLOHO
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #26

Proven Industries lock and Jack-E-Up jack ....

I'm with LarryBoy(post #21), IMO the Proven Industries locks are the best on the market, .... and to improve on one of their locks you could go to the Jack-E-Up and remove the tongue jack, .... especially if your concern is safety while in storage, just stack blocks to your desired height, jack down onto the blocks and then remove/take the jack with you, .... makes it more difficult for a thief, if the jack is not there to help them out, ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
My travel trailer is currently stored without the batteries in it. They would have to bring a battery to retract my electric jack.

How about if they bring a TV with the proper RV trailer connector on it? Plug into the TV and they would have 12V to operate the jack.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #28
Grammar Pedant

As posted already, a quick YouTube search will show you how worthless Master Locks and equivalent are. A few years ago, I got bored and taught myself how to pick a standard Master Lock -- took me about 15 minutes to learn and I got quite good at it in just an hour or so. It's not difficult and most of those devices present the key hole in a thief-convenient manner ... instead of facing the ground or something.

It will deter the "browser" .... the thief who's just walking through a lot looking for the easy grab. That's about it.

It doesn't take Carlos the Jackal to defeat these things. It takes a toothless yokel who has the internet and knows how to watch a YouTube video. That's a pretty low bar. If your trailer is parked next to equivalent trailers that have no protection at all, then these locks posted here might serve a purpose. If you have the best trailer or if all trailers have some protection, then these devices are pretty worthless.

There are some locks that are more difficult. ABUS is a good brand. Abloy is incredibly difficult to pick and would require specialized skills to do so. Master Lock and the equivalent do not.

I use cheap locks. But, I don't fool myself to believe that they're anything more than they are ... and I don't fool myself into believing that defeating locks is specialized knowledge or something that a high-schooler couldn't do with relative ease.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #29

I use https://www.provenlocks.com

Yes they are expensive but I once read a post from somebody that wondered why we are willing to spend 25k on a trailer and then look for a $25 lock to secure it. I thought that person is exactly right.

The bane of locks today is that power tools are all battery operated. See too many videos of thieves now using power tools on locks.

Yeah, I know the Proven Lock isn't going to stop someone that insists on stealing MY trailer but it looks and is massive. Being on a storage lot, the idea is to make it look like more trouble than it is worth when compared to all the other trailers with no locks or WalMart specials.

So, yeah, that being said, if you are storing your trailer on the same lot as mine, those locks at the auto parts stores are more than enough. You will be good.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #30
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post

My electric jack has a rubber cap that covers a nut that uses the same wrench as the stabilizer jacks. The electric jack can be raised and lowered without electricity
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
How about if they bring a TV with the proper RV trailer connector on it? Plug into the TV and they would have 12V to operate the jack.
Yep. That would work. Like I said before, never locked a trailer ever and never an issue.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:55 PM   #32

Actually have a Master Lock like the one shown. Lost my keys. Locksmith had it open in less than 10 seconds using a pick.
rsenft123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #33
Canadian Member

I considered the Proven Industries lock until I saw another video showing how the puck lock can be picked in about 30 seconds. If they can use a puck lock that’s much harder to pick it would be worth the cost.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #34

Security and More

Every time I read a thread like this, or one on winterizing for storage, I'm extremely thankful that we found a home with a heated garage and an RV-height door!
RGH2CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #35

Trimax 100

I use Trimax 100. They have been attacked several times and have always held.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
A big enough sledge hammer will take care of that if you give them enough time.
Maybe so but, I think the tongue would also be destroyed.

That Master Lock would work well in (most cases).

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
Saw this:

on a YouTube video:

I really liked the sign - "Danger, my dog has a gun and refuses to take her medication!"
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Curious what others are using to deter a thief from stealing your TT. None of the lower cost options are gonna stop someone who's determined. But deterrence can work. I'm looking at the Master Lock shown below.
I've had 3 of those locks that I picked up from etrailer. I used them on a small utility trailer that I keep next to my garage right off the alley behind our house. The first one I had to cut off because I lost the key. It took less than 90 seconds with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and a cut off wheel. The housing of the lock is cast aluminum so it cuts pretty easy. The second one took me even less time to remove. I forgot to take the lock off before backing my truck up to it and hit it with the ball. It shattered into about 5 pieces. The 3rd is still in service. I keep using them just because they're bright red and highly visible which is what you want for a deterrent.
Locks are only going to deter thefts of opportunity, such as a thief just happens to drive by. He's unprepared but sees theres nothing stopping him from taking a trailer, so he takes it. Thats the only scenario where a lock could possibly save your trailer. If a thief has tools and comes prepared, it doesn't matter what you put on it other than good insurance. I use locks on my small utility trailer just to deter opportunity thefts from traffic through the alley. My camper has no locks on it. Most of the time the door is even unlocked. The camper is stored on a gravel pad inside my fenced yard with a locked gate. Again, not going to stop anyone, but may deter a few.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #39
Sham183

Anti Theft Hitch Locks?

My father in law has had 2 trailers stolen from his property. His first Trailer had no lock on it what so ever. It is in the middle of nowhere and you would have all day to steal anything you wanted. His second Trailer he spent $200 on his hitch lock. I forgot the name of it but supposedly it was unbeatable. Wrong! Seeing as how they had all the time in the world to do what they wanted they managed to cut threw it with a torch. One of those little torch kits you can pick up for around $100-150. Just goes to show you if they want it they will get it. The one nice thing is they had no idea he had installed trail cameras and security cameras on his property after the first one. They caught the guys and the Trailer is back to its home. It now sits on jack stands with 2 tires off of it and a cable through the other wheels and a new coupler lock. If they take it now I think he will give up on Trailer storage lol.

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #40

I like the idea mentioned before on this thread, and other threads, about removing the license plate. And I may paint 'STOLEN' under the plate so that it only shows when the plate is off.

Then, again, I'd probably forget to put the plate back on when headed out.

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, lock