Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #21

Quote:
It may cost you a bit more, however, take a long, hard look at the Michelin LTX defenders. You can get them in a D or E load rating. I put the E rating tires on my Ram 1500 as I tow a 33ft, 7,500lb Wildcat Maxx trailer. The E is, of course, a true light truck tire with a max air pressure of 80lbs (the D lead range is more like 44lbs). I describe the ride as a bit stiffer, yet it feels MUCH more stable, and I'm totally pleased with all aspects of this tire. You do get what you pay for when it comes to tires and Michelins are tough to beat!!!!
PS-I"m running 65lbs in the tire when NOT towing and this pressure is working out fine. 75-80lbs when towing the trailer.
How is your TPMS working with the higher pressures? Did you have to change to higher rated valve stems?

I'm looking to replace my P-tires for Load E. Thanks
GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2kamp View Post
How is your TPMS working with the higher pressures? Did you have to change to higher rated valve stems?

Mine seems to work just fine. Filled tires to 60 psi and TMPS read 59. Filled to 80 psi and it showed 82. The low pressure warning should still come on at 35 but supposedly can be programmed by the dealer to activate at a higher level. Might get that done the next time I'm there.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #23
Cyber Phrenologist

I'm running Michelin Defender 245/70 R 17 E on my F150. They are only 4/10 ths of an inch taller than the OEM tire, which is important if you want to keep your "relative axle ratio" and if you're towing with a 1/2 ton, you want to keep all the axle you can!

I run them 60 psi street, 70 psi rear only towing. They run without vibration, but a little stiff which takes some getting used to a smooth but stiff ride. Slow down in the rain, wet traction as adequate but not amazing.

I also found at 140,000 miles that new Bilstein 4600 shocks seriously improved the ride, even though I was a bit skeptical about just how much. I was impressed!

So if your E tires give you an unhappy commute, back off the pressure and consider some new shocks.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #24
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2kamp View Post

Discount tire "reset" my TPMS for me as they do with every tire install. Nice. I guess the TPMS works OK, it has not alarmed since I got the new E tires.

This is the third set of tires for this truck. The non-factory valve stems that were put on with the 2nd set seemed to be satisfactory as they are metal. The original factory stems were those defective Chinese junk.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:01 PM   #25

Thanks for the replies! Glad to know nothing to worry about with the TPMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
Don't forget, it is not the tire that carries the weight. It is the air so you need to run more air pressure to get any benefit of the LRE tires. Also 1/2 ton rims may not be rated for the increased pressure and you would for sure need to run high pressure valve stems possibly even having to change your TPMS sensors depending on how they are made if you need to exceed 50PSI. Michelin, TOYO and some others have a chart on their sites that shows what various pressures in specific range tires will give you for load carrying capacity.

Here is a link to Toyo's. Page 22 is where the LT tire chart starts.

http://www.toyotires.ca/sites/defaul...-LT_102913.pdf
Thanks for the link. I'm looking at Toyo LT 285/70/17 E and they list the same load capacity at 80, 75, 70 and 65 PSI, single wheel. Interesting
GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #26

I've been away from the forum for quite a while, but thougth I'd update this thread. As I mentioned before, I went with the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, and I CAN NOT recommend them. As expected they have a stiffer ride on the bumps, but, strangely, they have a ton of sidewall flex (displacement). When they were installed the shop inflated them to 35psi per the door sticker, and I figured that was the problem, but since then I have run them at 65psi and now at 80psi, both towing and not. They flex enough that lane changes feel pretty freaky. And the definitely DO NOT help with sway on the highway.

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfTwo View Post
I've been away from the forum for quite a while, but thougth I'd update this thread. As I mentioned before, I went with the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, and I CAN NOT recommend them. As expected they have a stiffer ride on the bumps, but, strangely, they have a ton of sidewall flex (displacement). When they were installed the shop inflated them to 35psi per the door sticker, and I figured that was the problem, but since then I have run them at 65psi and now at 80psi, both towing and not. They flex enough that lane changes feel pretty freaky. And the definitely DO NOT help with sway on the highway.
Go back and read post #5. Visit some of the truck forums. Apparently Goodyear only has decent reviews with th RT-S series.

And, the SR-A you got is going to get worse as you put miles on them.

Tags
500, tire