Old 04-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #1

Any down side to an E1 (10-ply) rated tire on a 1500?

I need new shoes for the 1500. We've had good luck over the years with Discount, so I went shopping on their site.

Unfortunately, in my OEM size, all the tires have a load rating of SL or XL, and since I'm towing the new TT I thought I should maybe bump it up.

Then in looking at their 'Equivalent tire sizes' (or whatever it was) section I found the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A that has an E1 load rating. Wowsers. 10-ply equivalent. And priced in line with SL and XL tires, to boot. $177 online, but the shop quoted me $165 (plus tax, plus m&b, plus disposal)

I'm a little worried that they're going to be stiff, especially unloaded and at high pressure, but other then towing I pretty much only use the truck for my .75 mile RT, 25 mph, daily commute.

Other than this E1 and the SL/XLs, the only other option was BFG All Terrain's with a D1 rating. Now, I had BFG ATs on a 4x4 and loved them, but this truck is 4x2 and doesn't need off-road tires. And they're more expensive at @ $230.

What do the experts think?

Oh, and reviews are all over the map. One says best ever pulling a boat up the ramp, and another says not the best in wet weather. Go figure. Seem to be popular tires with folks towing with a 2500.

10k/1k HaulMaster WDH stopped by a
Prodigy P2 brake controller
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:01 AM   #2

10 ply tires are all I ever run even on half ton trucks. They will ride a little more stiff but not bad.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:50 AM   #3

I just took the leap of faith a few weeks ago. I expected worse mileage due to added weight. I'm actually getting a little better mileage. I expected a harsher ride, and, while noticeable, it isn't bad.

I did notice stability improvement when towing.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Don't forget, it is not the tire that carries the weight. It is the air so you need to run more air pressure to get any benefit of the LRE tires. Also 1/2 ton rims may not be rated for the increased pressure and you would for sure need to run high pressure valve stems possibly even having to change your TPMS sensors depending on how they are made if you need to exceed 50PSI. Michelin, TOYO and some others have a chart on their sites that shows what various pressures in specific range tires will give you for load carrying capacity.

Here is a link to Toyo's. Page 22 is where the LT tire chart starts.

http://www.toyotires.ca/sites/defaul...-LT_102913.pdf

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
Usually Confused Member

I switched to E-load (Nitto) on my Ram 1500 a few weeks ago. The ride is a little stiffer but not objectionable. However, stability is way, way better than the OEM supplied tires.

Keep in mind that the Goodyear SR-A tire is about the cheapest tire GY makes. Visit some of the truck forums and you'll find the universal opinions over there compare with the opinions we all have about China Bombs. I did manage to get 30,000 miles out of the factory supplied tires.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #6

I run XL rated on the rears. It cuts the difference between the two. Still passenger tires, but higher pressure rated. I usually run around 45 PSI when towing and back to OEM when not. Noticeable stability difference without it riding like a tank unloaded.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

It may cost you a bit more, however, take a long, hard look at the Michelin LTX defenders. You can get them in a D or E load rating. I put the E rating tires on my Ram 1500 as I tow a 33ft, 7,500lb Wildcat Maxx trailer. The E is, of course, a true light truck tire with a max air pressure of 80lbs (the D lead range is more like 44lbs). I describe the ride as a bit stiffer, yet it feels MUCH more stable, and I'm totally pleased with all aspects of this tire. You do get what you pay for when it comes to tires and Michelins are tough to beat!!!!
PS-I"m running 65lbs in the tire when NOT towing and this pressure is working out fine. 75-80lbs when towing the trailer.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #8

I put Mastercraft (Cooper) E rated tires on my F150. I run 43 lbs not towing with only slightly stiffer ride. Towing I run them at 65 lbs. makes a huge difference in stability.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback. Went ahead and got the tires. They inflated them to 50 psi., now I'll do some research and see what I want to run them at towing.

Thanks, again.
10k/1k HaulMaster WDH stopped by a
Prodigy P2 brake controller
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #10

Which tires did you get? FWIW, I got the Defender LTX M/S. I towed on our first trip at 50psi. It was a noticeable, but I'm going to experiment by going higher...probably try 60psi next.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, tire