Old 06-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #1

Any one tow a heavy fifth wheel with a 2011-2015 F350?

I'm looking at purchasing a new fifth wheel and may be making a bit of a trip to pick it up. I have a new f350 diesel 4 door short bed and haven't towed a fifth wheel with it before and was wondering if the truck handles the weight just fine. I just don't want to be 500 miles away and hook up to find out my truck squats like crazy (Which I don't anticipate).

Here are the trailer specs.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

I don't see a problem with the weights listed on a 350. Is yours single wheel or dual wheel. Boy that puppy is long though! Almost 43'. If you've never towed a fiver before you may have your hands full with that length just starting out.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

SRW - Ya its long but it's more for full time. I travel for work so I need something for when my wife and daughter come. Length doesn't scare me, I haven't towed a fifth wheel coach before but have towed lots of construction equipment. Being a superintendent in the construction field ive learned there's always a way to get it done or learn how. Plus I won't be moving it often. Jobs are usually pretty long so I'll be towing it only a couple times a year.

Here's the floor plan which is how we chose the fifth wheel.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #4

I towed a 40 foot Titanium Toy Hauler with a SRW F350, weights were similar to your new rig and had no problems. I suggest you get a Pullrite superglide automatic sliding hitch. I had one and never regretted it. Fully automatic with no pins/levers and no action required on your part - it works when it needs to. Also has a very secure hitch mechanism.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #5

Also check your trucks inside door yellow sticker. It will give you a payload amount which you can kind of gauge from. Any pin weights, hitch, tool boxes, extra passengers, etc... will eat into this. As long as your under the sticker you should be fine without squatting to badly, but I think you'll be fine. Goodluck
Old 06-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #6

You should be fine. Even if your fifth wheel reaches the max GVWR you posted your F350 is still within its tow capacity. The pin weight on mine is just over 2500 lbs and my truck only squats around an inch, so you should be ok with that also. The last item to consider is the hitch, you may never need the function of a slider but I recommend one because it's better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

We have a 2006 F350 diesel and we have no problem towing a 43Ft 5th wheel
Old 06-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the input and advice. I know the truck is rated for it but it's just nice to have the reassurance that it performs under that weight in real world situations.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #9

soon to retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static54 View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a new fifth wheel and may be making a bit of a trip to pick it up. I have a new f350 diesel 4 door short bed and haven't towed a fifth wheel with it before and was wondering if the truck handles the weight just fine. I just don't want to be 500 miles away and hook up to find out my truck squats like crazy (Which I don't anticipate).

Here are the trailer specs.

We have a 2013 F350 King Ranch diesel and pull a 3150rl Montana and have to check to see if it's behind us, seriously. We have the factory installed camper package and a Reese hitch. No problems whatsoever. Just to let you know, the Montana has a zero turn feature on the nose and I haven't found a need for a slider hitch. I really like the fact that with the camper package on the truck there are no rails in the truck, so no junk getting stuck under the rails. Seriously, this is a fantastic feature which Ford has.
Just got back some a 2700 mile pull out west from Wisconsin, battling 30 mph sustained and 50 mph gusts and averaged 10.3 for the entire trip. Yes, the winds did make pulling noticeable, but with the power that truck has it was a bother.
No sag on the truck either. If we do get a trailer that has noticeable tounge weight I would just add air bags, but with this rig right now I don't see that necessary. This is NOT a dually. It's a 4x4 crew cab. Good luck!
While visiting family in Wyoming we all decided to take a road trip and I tend to drive responsibly. As the nieces' boyfriend passed me they waved a tow strap at me. They drive a Dog. When we met up at our destination I reminded them that the only folks that carry tow straps are the one's who have needed them. Just a little humor.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #10

I'm thinking dually.

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, f350, fifth wheel, wheel