Old 01-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #11

We bought a LaCrosse 329 last fall that required a truck upgrade. I intended to buy a 6.4L Hemi 2500, drove it an liked it, but after doing more research I ended up going with the Cummins. I have pulled too many times overweight with an underpowered vehicle and did not want to go through it again. This was my first diesel in 25 years (they have come a LONG way) and it is amazing how much power it has and how civilized it drives. Maintenance (oil and filter changes) will be a little more expensive, fuel cost per mile is about the same (except towing, then it is a lot better). Towing is very easy with the Cummins (I really have to watch my speed) and the extra weight over the front tires seems to help keep it nailed to the road. Before you write the Cummins off, drive one and talk to some other owners.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #12

I bought a '14 2500 with the 5.7 a year ago and it has done the job of pulling my 30' Coachmen just fine. The TT comes in around 8k and barely squats the truck w/o the WD bars connected. My payload is around 2300 lbs. I looked at 6.4 trucks last month just for grins, and the payload did appear to be about 1k more. When I bought my truck, the 6.4 trucks were a little scarce in my area, plus the deal I got on my 5.7 helped make my decision. I have no real complaints about the truck, but who wouldn't like more hp and torque. Good luck on your search and decision. Either way, I think you will be happy.

2014 Coachmen Catalina 303KDS

Old 01-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #13

Had a hemi in a 2500 truck. Didn't like the way the engine would scream and the transmission would search for the right gear going up hill while pulling our trailer. Switched to the cummins and have never looked back. Now I don't worry about what I pull or the roads needed to travel while pulling. Only wish I had gone diesel sooner.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:54 AM   #14

I am a hemi fan...I am a huge diesel fan...Cummins in particular (100s of thousands of miles on 3 of them). My new truck was the 6.4 hemi and for 2k have a lifetime warranty that you can't get on a diesel.

I put 125k on a hemi charger with out a hiccup and I ran it hard. If you're looking at a 2500 I think it's a no brainer going with a 6.4 over the 5.7 if you are looking at a 5er.

As long as urea and emissions are tied to new diesels I'll set myself up to stay with a gasser.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #15

We have a 2500 Crew Cab with the 5.7 Hemi/6 speed Tran, but went with the 4:10 rear end becasue it added about 2000 lbs towing capacity. However, I would have gone for the 6.4 if it were offered then.

My way of thinking is that since we were ordering the truck primarily as a towing vehicle we should maxed out the towing options. And although it annoyed our Cummins Engineer son-in-law big time, we decided there were insufficient benefits of going diesel.

It does a good job overall pulling our 10k 5ver. Ive never felt underpowered but I do take it slower going up very steep hills just to keep the RPM down. Plenty of reserve power for passing.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #16

Per a Dodge rep in an article I found:

An active runner intake system [helps to] provide that low-end torque that is required in a heavy-duty truck, but without sacrificing that high-end power, Mets said. If you look at the torque curves between this engine and our competition as well as the 5.7-L Hemi, the 6.4-L generates as much torque as the others but at 800 to 1000 rpm less.

This is exactly why you should opt for the 6.4 over the 5.7 if you plan to tow heavy like you indicate. If towing a couple of times a year, the 5.7 would do fine. But the 6.4L was clearly engineered with towing in mind.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #17
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller303KDS View Post
I bought a '14 2500 with the 5.7 a year ago and it has done the job of pulling my 30' Coachmen just fine. The TT comes in around 8k and barely squats the truck w/o the WD bars connected. My payload is around 2300 lbs. I looked at 6.4 trucks last month just for grins, and the payload did appear to be about 1k more. When I bought my truck, the 6.4 trucks were a little scarce in my area, plus the deal I got on my 5.7 helped make my decision. I have no real complaints about the truck, but who wouldn't like more hp and torque. Good luck on your search and decision. Either way, I think you will be happy.

2014 Coachmen Catalina 303KDS

I too would have loved the 6.4l but couldn't find one at the time. No regrets with my 5.7l though

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #18

A 5er was just a suggestion. IF...we even decide to upgrade at all in a couple of years it could very well be to another TT, only bigger and in the 6-8,000 lb range. As it stands now my rig is only about 5,600lbs loaded and the tongue wt is about 675lbs so I doubt that I would have any problems at all with the 5.7L and my current rig. My calculations indicate that it would take about 2.5 years of MY regular use to recoup the difference in gas saving at 87 vs 89 octane. So it is looking like the 5.7 is the best option for me and my current/future plans.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #19
Mark & Cindy Labbe

I just bought a 2500 6.4l Ram Laramie. I located one that has 4.10 gears. This increases your tow capacity to 15.5K vs. the 12.5K with 3.73 gears. It also increases the gross to 22.5K. This was at no additional cost. You new to order it or have a dealer locate you one. I am towing a 2015 Heritage Glen 36ft 5th wheel with a dry weight of 11.5K dry weight with no issues.
This is a good option with for you with room to grow. I went with it because I did not want a diesel either.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklabbe View Post
I just bought a 2500 6.4l Ram Laramie. I located one that has 4.10 gears. This increases your tow capacity to 15.5K vs. the 12.5K with 3.73 gears. It also increases the gross to 22.5K. This was at no additional cost. You new to order it or have a dealer locate you one. I am towing a 2015 Heritage Glen 36ft 5th wheel with a dry weight of 11.5K dry weight with no issues.
This is a good option with for you with room to grow. I went with it because I did not want a diesel either.
If these numbers are correct, this is excellent advice and you'd be wise to heed it, IMHO.

Tags