Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #1

Anybody out there install their own 5th wheel hitch?

Spent the better part of the day installing a Reese "custom mount vehicle specific" hitch that is specific for my truck. Heres the advertised description.

"Reese part # 56004 is Custom Quick Install bracket kit for a fifth wheel hitch. The kit includes vehicle specific brackets that line up with existing mounting locations on the frame for a quick simple installation."

What a dumbass I was believing this sometimes it pays to pay and have the work done by a shop. I got about 90% of it done I just need to fasten the bracket to the frame rails. This was supposedly a no drill kit well guess what it needs drilling. I got my ass kicked today hopefully finish it up in the morning.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 AM   #2

I put one in my 2014 Chevy a few months ago. Took about 4 hours start to finish. I assume the drilling you are referring to is for the bolts securing the bed rails?
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #3

I used the same Reese custom mount kit and took about 4 hours too. No drilling in the truck frame for me just the 10 holes on the truck bed to bolt my universal bed rails to the custom brackets. I also assume that this is what you had to drill?? Definitely take off the back wheels and drop the spare. It makes a huge difference!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #4

Did minein a Chevy......then swapped to a Superduty....removed the hitch and put it in the Ford....about 3-4 hours each. Mine was not a custom no-drill mount. I had to drill holes.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
Camper Less Camping

I let two experienced guys at a locally owned rv repair shop install mine...1.5hrs later, DONE!
Best $200 bucks I spent and got some business done while waiting on the work

Old 03-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #6

The drilling in the bed for the rails is the easy part. there are supposed to be 2 holes in the frame rails on each side of the truck to bolt the brackets to. My truck for some reason only has one on each side (the rears). I looked at the diagram 10 times even called Reese and the tech there says " I have never ever seen a GMC or Chevy without that front hole in the frame". Surprise surprise I own the one lol even offered to email him a picture. The rear holes are there but when I tighten them to the prescribed 210 ft lbs the washers the supply fold up. Trucks on jackstands wheels are off spare is out.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #7

I did mine as well, ~ 4 hours. Keep in mind when you are putting the hardware on for the rails that some truck frames have holes in the top that the hardware can fall through. I learned that the hard way. A little duct tape and I was set.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #8

I just upgraded to 2012 silverado 2500hd Duramax the truck had a B&W turnover
i had my pullrite superglide off my old truck, so looking at the install guides for both hitches i deceided to try to put both back on as i can just pull one out and use the other if needed, they both bolt to the frame in the same place the B&W uses the same front 2 holes on the frame that the superglide does, the superglide bracket stand off's mounts to the inside and sits on top of the frame the B&W has ears that face to the outside so needed some longer bolts for the frame mounts and then had to put some longer bolts on the back bracket of the B&W and shim it back just a bit to clear the superglide brackets and just a little mod for the ball release lever on the B&W and it's done both are on both work great. took about 6 hours but that was to take the B&W off and put both back on and drill the bed holes run to town get the hardware.

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #9

I have never used the custom mounts. Drilling is no issue, just measure lots drill once. But make sure you have 3-4 high speed steel bits. the larger the bit the slower you run the drill or you will burn out the bit. A good sign of proper speed is getting the nice spirals or just nice sized flakes.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel