Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
So many of us seem to buy the biggest tt we can and get by with the smallest tv possible, myself included. My F-150 had plenty of power but lacked stability and control. I was within my numbers but about maxed out on payload. Even with my Eqal-i-zer hitch I experienced sway in rain and high winds, not excessive but more than I like.

I finally wised up and bought an F-250. Very stable and easy to control. I can relax while towing now, even in rain and high winds.

dtaylor, do yourself a favor and be sure to purchase a tt well within your tv's limitations. I'm not saying you need an F-250 to tow the tt you want, I'm just saying that towing close to your limits can be stressful under adverse conditions.

It's really not so much what we camp in that makes a trip enjoyable. It's that we are able to relax and enjoy time with our families.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
I understand all the math on this, but the most important comment on all of these posts to me is the "test tow".

I am pulling a Surveryor 210 with a V6 Honda Ridgeline. The weight is very close to what you are looking at. We have had no problems at all. The biggest thing to get used to is the RPMS - Hondas (and Nissans) like to rev and make their power up high vs. a big V8. On flat ground I can keep it around 2500RPM or so, but as soon as we get a grade it is up to 3000 to 3500. I have hit 5000 before, but I was just going up a steep hill at 55 mph and wanted to see what it took to maintain 55 on that hill (it actually was accelerating when I let off the gas before I topped the hill)

No one has any business pulling a travel trailer at 70MPH anyway - there are comments all over this forum about the tires are rated for 60-65 only. My Ridgeline does fine at 60 and we do hit 65 on occasion. It does shift alot but the owners manual says to NOT take it out of overdrive to tow, so I dont.

I think your biggest issue is the manual transmission - that will be a lot of work on your part (and your clutch).

2012 Puma 30FQSS
2005 Ford F-250 Super Crew 6.0 PSD
2003 Honda Odyssey
1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 AM   #13
The test Tow sounds like a good idea. And like someone said it should pull it but how comfortable will it be.

If we buy one of these trailers I think were going to order it and pick it up at the factory. If that's the case, I'll ask my friend if I can use his F250 Diesel truck to pick it up. That way I'm not driving 1000 miles on my first trip with it in the Nissan..

Were thinking most of the time were going to use it on shortier trips and mostly in state going to the beach or lakes.

I love my truck but if I need something bigger I would up grade..
dtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #14
I had a 2005 Grand Cherokee with which I towed our Palomino G210 to Virginia Beach last year. We went along the inland route south along Interstate 81 thru NY, Penn, WV and Va. There were good cross winds in the mountains and the rig was pushed about more than I liked. According to that table I was close to the limit with my 109 inch wheelbase GC. The manufacturers website said I could pull a 28 ft trailer. The GC had a tow capacity of 6500 lbs. I might have been able to improve the ride with low profile tire to get less side wall flex.

Before my present trailer, I had a Palomino 178, 3100 lbs, and found that on less than perfect roads, the norm in Quebec, my trailer kicked around the RAV4, 3500 lbs, I had at the time enough for me to sell the RAV4 and buy the GC. The GC could pull that small trailer but since the GC had such a surplus of towing capacity I bought a bigger trailer, the Palomino G210. But the wheelbase of the GC was only 5" longer than the RAV4 and crosswinds were now more of a problem with the bigger trailer.

I have just sold the GC and gotten a Dodge Ram with a 140" wheelbase to make the whole experience less stressful.. I am hoping that the almost 30 % increase in wheelbase will help. Yes you may be able to tow it but ask yourself "are you having fun." I am on vacation after all.
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
Duane....what did you end up doing? Did you go with that trailer and keep the truck? New truck? Different trailer?

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #16
Site Team
Mtnguy keeps bringing up wheelbase in these threads; he is right to do so; it is almost always overlooked; and it is a big issue. Also, often overlooked, how far would you be towing? You can push closer to the limit if towing on flat and not going far. But, if a 3,000 mile trip is a possilbility, or curvy roads, or foothill/mountains; IMO 60 to 70% of max is a practical limit; safety and towing satisfaction issues. You don't want to be dragging your butt around or having the tail wag the dog.
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #17
2008 Colorado with the 3.7 and 3.73 axle 242 hp and torque. I tow a 2010 Roo 21SS. It works okay. I don't drive 70 mph either. 50-55 mph and take my time and it works just fine. I am rated for 5500 lbs and I am 5000 lbs ready to go. I weighed in at 9580 lbs GCVWR. I towed my parents Jayco 26' which was almost the same weight as my 21SS.

Not near the truck that a Frontier or Tacoma would be but it was more affordable and I like it.

baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
YOu also gotta think of your payload. Your tongue weight takes away from your available payload. If you have a say 1000 lbs. payload:
Weight of how many people+
After market items+
Various items in truck+
Tongue weight= used up payload
This is important as much as wheelbase.

2013 Ford F-350, FX4 ,Long Bed, 6.7 Diesel, 11500# GVW package, camper package, plow package, Electronic locking 3.73 rear end.

Husky 16K slider hitch.

New Trailer 2013 Wildcat 344QB Touring Edition with angled master bed.
Greenshield is offline   Reply With Quote