Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbosch74 View Post
Thanks. That was a front runner when I was deciding, so glad to hear from someone who has done both. However, they don't have 1200# bars anymore...only 1000# and 1500# (as closest). See any reason not to go with 1500#? I figure my tongue weight is around 800-850.
Had a Reese 800 on first two TTs. Tried it on third TT using 1200 trunnion bars but they did not lay flat. Reese said to go with 1500 but problem was still there. Dealer recommended Equalizer using 1500 bars. I will be trying it out this weekend. I set everything up per the instructions and the TV and TT and level, no slump. Front fender height is the same before and after loading the TT.

jd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #42

BTW the hitch weight is 1200+.

jd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd48 View Post
Had a Reese 800 on first two TTs. Tried it on third TT using 1200 trunnion bars but they did not lay flat. Reese said to go with 1500 but problem was still there. Dealer recommended Equalizer using 1500 bars. I will be trying it out this weekend. I set everything up per the instructions and the TV and TT and level, no slump. Front fender height is the same before and after loading the TT.
Thanks Jim. Let us know how the ride is!
Kbosch74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Brakeman have you used pro pride or Hensley?
No. My Equalizer has provided a rock-solid rig. No additional help needed. But for those that have found the Equalizer not enough to handle their rig, it's my understanding that those other 2 more expensive systems are the best. I have no reason to doubt them.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
And, I think your statement flies in the face of physics (as poorly as I remember that class). You are changing the height of the fulcrum and the angle of the lever by tipping the weight, slightly (less significantly but)similar to a wheelbarrow. Not to mention that the fulcrum in this case is squishy. . .
Actually, this is a question of the engineering "statics" involved with each WDH design. I provided a very lengthy mathematical comparison on another thread, of the Andersen vs any other WDH. I won't go into that level of detail.

But the essential reason why the Andersen seems to hit a limit is because of the direction the load is being applied, it order to lift the coupler.

With any other WDH, the load is applied upward. The ends of the bars are lifted straight up, and supported by chains, L-brackets, or some other support. The load involved in supporting the bar is vertical. Therefore, there is no practical limit to the amount of weight transfer. Indeed, we have all heard of people transferring too much weight, and losing rear wheel traction when the rear wheels drop into a low-spot.

Conversely, the Andersen works by applying the load rearward. The chains start on a downward angle, from the A-frame, down somewhere below the ball. Pull straight back, and the large forces involved are enough to create an upward component, which lifts the coupler (also lifting the front end of the chains!). But if you remember your basic trigonometry, as the angle between the A-frame and the chain gets smaller, the upward component of lift force becomes less. Eventually, the chain is nearly parallel with the A-frame (zero angle). At that point, pull all you want, but the coupler will not rise anymore, and you will not transfer any more weight.

You can then put in some suspension mods, but you will not transfer any more weight. All you will have done is jacked up the body from under the rear axle "fulcrum". Applying an upward load at the fulcrum does NOT transfer anymore weight. The load must be applied behind the fulcrum to transfer weight forward of the fulcrum.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #46

What you quoted only has to do with the last paragraph and the CAT scale numbers showed the real world results. Again, I said (and I think you impied) "a little".

As for the Andersen, We didn't engineer or design it. It works for me and many others on a 1/2 ton. I also stated owners with 3/4 tons (ie stiffer suspensions) seem to be happy with it. The bottom line here is if you buy too much trailer and too little tow vehicle and expect a hitch to save you, you probably made a mistake somewhere along the way.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #47

Andersen hitch

Love my Andersen hitch. We have towed 5-6,000 miles and would not own another hitch. You might need to raise the ball to help compensate. You can turn the hitch over if you need additional height. The instructions tell you to try this.
Bdraughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #48

x2 on this (including the mileage :
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote