Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #1

Anyone dissatisfied with the WD ability of Anderson and found a better solution?

All,

I have a 1/2 ton Suburban (with autoride feature that helps level things off via airbags when engine running). My TT is 35' and at the outer limits of my tow capacity. The Anderson didn't do much to reduce my "squatting"....maybe reduced it by 1/2 inch. (Frankly, it wasn't better at sway control than the two friction controls I was using previously, but since I never really had a problem with sway, it was the leveling/weight distribution that I was seeking most...but sure wanted to kill two birds with one stone). I'm bummed as I love the design and simplicity.

So is the popular opinion that a more traditional system, like the Equilizer, would do a better job? Has anyone done both with a similar setup for comparison?

Photo attached to show amount of "squatting".

I also realize that this "is what it is" with a 1/2 ton, just trying to improve as best I can.

thanks.
Attached Images

Kbosch74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #2

You can (Bring up the Rear) with (1200# Bars using Reese or Eq Assy)! You can really (Lift) the Rear end of your 1/2Ton till the Tires will Spin when (Taking off from a Stop)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #3

Can also do it with a Blue Ox Sway Pro. You can different size bars for it.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #4

yooroo...Eq assy = Equal-i-zer?

So three suggestions...Sway Pro (like this design too, as very simliar to Anderson), Reese, or Equal-i-zer.

Are any of these quiet and able to back up with engaged? What about grease? (further features that I liked about Anderson)?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #5

You can (Back) with all (3) now (NOISE) will come into Play,then you enter into (Grease/Braket Jackets) to reduce that! I was trying to bring your (Rear End Up) now this opens a whole different deal! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #6

I have a Husky Centerline WD hitch with integrated sway control on my setup. This thing works very well and makes no noise whatsoever. It is a little more difficult to hookup than my Reese Straightline on my last trailer, but I think it works better.

Bruce
Old 08-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #7

Yup, same boat Andersen worked well with smaller unit. But new TT could not be lifted by the Andersen. Went the Blue Ox route, it does a much better job. Grease isn't nearly an issue compared to others. No noise from unit. Only gripe is you must exercise caution when latching\unlatching. Always do it with weight on tongue jack not on hitch. If you are near the 1000# cap. on tongue weight get the bigger 1200# bars.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #8

I have the Propride hitch which is similar to the Anderson and it seemed to help my sway a little but not totally. As far as the squat, I can not get the rear to not squat without the sway being worse. I have a 1/2 ton with a 32' box TT and I could get the truck to not squat as bad with the Equalizer E4 but could not stand the noise. If I had it to do over again I would not have spent $2500 on the Propride hitch. I have had some issues with it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moparguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Yup, same boat Andersen worked well with smaller unit. But new TT could not be lifted by the Andersen. Went the Blue Ox route, it does a much better job. Grease isn't nearly an issue compared to others. No noise from unit. Only gripe is you must exercise caution when latching\unlatching. Always do it with weight on tongue jack not on hitch. If you are near the 1000# cap. on tongue weight get the bigger 1200# bars.
Thanks. That was a front runner when I was deciding, so glad to hear from someone who has done both. However, they don't have 1200# bars anymore...only 1000# and 1500# (as closest). See any reason not to go with 1500#? I figure my tongue weight is around 800-850.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #10

If noise is a issue just turn up the radio. I have the equalizer 12k And I hear it only if I had the bars not running flat with trailer tongue.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #11

Ok...not here to spin ya'll up ...but here was my solution.

I too had the same issue with a high tongue weight and a squishy 1/2 suspension and the Anderson hitch. I chose the Anderson for the ease of connection so that my wife can hook up (hell-my teenage daughter can set it up). I couldn't get most/all the weight back to the front axle which made for uncomfortable drive.

I didn't want to change the hitch for $$$ reasons and the ease of hookup. To bring up my ass, I went with sumo springs. I DIDNT DO IT TO INCREASE CAPACITY! With the assistance they provided, I was able to get more weight back to the front and I can say I am very happy with the setup now. Very easy, no maintenance product and greatly improved the ride quality.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Ok...not here to spin ya'll up ...but here was my solution.

I too had the same issue with a high tongue weight and a squishy 1/2 suspension and the Anderson hitch. I chose the Anderson for the ease of connection so that my wife can hook up (hell-my teenage daughter can set it up). I couldn't get most/all the weight back to the front axle which made for uncomfortable drive.

I didn't want to change the hitch for $$$ reasons and the ease of hookup. To bring up my ass, I went with sumo springs. I DIDNT DO IT TO INCREASE CAPACITY! With the assistance they provided, I was able to get more weight back to the front and I can say I am very happy with the setup now. Very easy, no maintenance product and greatly improved the ride quality.
Stiffer suspension...I can see that working, sure. What did that run?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbosch74 View Post
All,

I have a 1/2 ton Suburban (with autoride feature that helps level things off via airbags when engine running). My TT is 35' and at the outer limits of my tow capacity. The Anderson didn't do much to reduce my "squatting"....maybe reduced it by 1/2 inch. (Frankly, it wasn't better at sway control than the two friction controls I was using previously, but since I never really had a problem with sway, it was the leveling/weight distribution that I was seeking most...but sure wanted to kill two birds with one stone). I'm bummed as I love the design and simplicity.

So is the popular opinion that a more traditional system, like the Equilizer, would do a better job? Has anyone done both with a similar setup for comparison?

Photo attached to show amount of "squatting".

I also realize that this "is what it is" with a 1/2 ton, just trying to improve as best I can.

thanks.
What did Andersen say about your setup? I cannot tell much (other than squat) from the picture. Do you have a photo of the hitch and chains? I would send that photo to customerservice@anderseninc.com and see what they have to say.

The soft springs they put in vehicles don't help with squat (pun intended).

Yes, a simple suspension add on will level you. I had an E2 that squatted exactly the same as my Andersen. I added AirLift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate air bags that have an internal jounce after trying Timbrens. Both work, but the bags are far more forgiving when unloaded.

I am betting you have a setup problem if your Andersen is swaying.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #14

Andersen will advise you to add helper springs or air bags. They will dance around the weight distribution questions.

Hensley Arrow
Old 08-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparguy View Post
I have the Propride hitch which is similar to the Anderson and it seemed to help my sway a little but not totally. As far as the squat, I can not get the rear to not squat without the sway being worse. I have a 1/2 ton with a 32' box TT and I could get the truck to not squat as bad with the Equalizer E4 but could not stand the noise. If I had it to do over again I would not have spent $2500 on the Propride hitch. I have had some issues with it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Andersen is totally different. You are thinking of the Hensley Arrow

Hensley Arrow
Old 08-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks. That was a front runner when I was deciding, so glad to hear from someone who has done both. However, they don't have 1200# bars anymore...only 1000# and 1500# (as closest). See any reason not to go with 1500#? I figure my tongue weight is around 800-850.
At 900# TW the 1000# bars just did not give me what I wanted. Blue ox allow me to trade up the 1500# bars (i forgot they were 1500# in earlier post stated 1200#)

Hensley Arrow
Old 08-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Andersen will advise you to add helper springs or air bags. They will dance around the weight distribution questions.
They might, but they might also have an answer. There are a lot of possibilities here. The OP could have the trailer loaded poorly with too much weight up front. He might not have it setup properly. He might have the old springs, washer and anti-sway material. Could be 1K over payload for the TV. etc . . .

OP: What is your actual loaded trailer weight and actual loaded tongue weight?

The manual says:

Name:   bad.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  22.3 KB
Old 08-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #18

Quote:
If you change, you should go with an appropriately matched (to your tongue weight) hitch. In order to figure that out, you need the actual weight of the stuff behind your TV's rear axle and the actual loaded tongue weight of the trailer.

I figure you are way off on that 800-850 tongue weight for a 35 foot trailer. That trailer should weigh around 8000+lbs loaded. The least I would go with a 1/2 ton is 12% and that is 960 (if it only weighs 8K even).
Old 08-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #19

Anyone dissatisfied with the WD ability of Anderson and found a better solution?

Quote:
Stiffer suspension...I can see that working, sure. What did that run?

$200- and install for my vehicle was 20 minutes. Basically replace factory bump stops.

And for those that love numbers- my tongue weight is about 1k and loaded weight about 7500. 31 foot.

I think your tongue weight of 850 is light. I have had to make adjustments on the fly from changes like water in the rear grey tank and light on propane in the front.

One thing I did do different with my install- I had brackets welded to keep main bracket from walking on the frame and making the adjustments off. The higher the tongue weight the more pull towards the ball.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #20

Sorry- forgot theseClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1440557805.510710.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	86925
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1440557822.395015.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	105.9 KB