Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #21

No way will you get a new short block. The shop has already determined there was no collaterial damage which is why you are getting a cam only.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #22
Camp Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
No way will you get a new short block. The shop has already determined there was no collaterial damage which is why you are getting a cam only.

I can dream cant I? For what its worth, I am not OVERLY concerned about the future health of the engine. Even with a failing cam, I was still getting my gas mileage, had no noticeable loss of power and it pulled my trailer fine this past weekend. Even the service manager told me "if it isn't overheating and is shifting fine, you will be ok to pull your trailer". I should be happy though that the dealership is standing behind the warranty and I am.

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #23

Check this for concerns about Chrysler products motors including the 5.7 hemi.
Why Some Late Model Dodge/Chrysler Vehicles Are Prone To Catastrophic Engine Failure

We previously owned a Ram and found that engine sludging was a common problem with Chrysler motors. The above explains a bit of it. Problem is, even though Chrysler is aware of the issue, they will not stand behind it. Even though owners have complained that they could document regular service via a Chrysler product dealership, they still claim the owners were negligent on servicing the vehicle properly. Google "5.7 hemi sludging issues".
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:07 AM   #24
Camp Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Why Some Late Model Dodge/Chrysler Vehicles Are Prone To Catastrophic Engine Failure

We previously owned a Ram and found that engine sludging was a common problem with Chrysler motors. The above explains a bit of it. Problem is, even though Chrysler is aware of the issue, they will not stand behind it. Even though owners have complained that they could document regular service via a Chrysler product dealership, they still claim the owners were negligent on servicing the vehicle properly. Google "5.7 hemi sludging issues".
That is a very interesting article. It will be interesting to see exactly what caused the cam to go bad, was it a clogged lifter that scored it? That seems to be the most common issue, and it primarily seems to happen on cylinder # 5 which is one of the MDS cylinders.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #25
Camp Bartender

A little update. So the service manager called and said the cam was in pretty rough shape and that some of the lobes were "rounded" requiring the replacement of all of the lifters. Now here is the kicker, apparently my MDS fuel pressure sensor stopped working causing the MDS to stop working, and they cant fix the truck without that, but that isnt covered under the power train warranty. How is a sensor, that controls an actual engine function, not covered under the power train warranty? That and since the cam was in "such bad shape" could that have caused premature failure? Apparently the warranty fight is long from over.....

Old 04-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #26

Quote:

I wonder what years they are referring to? "Late model" covers a lot if ground.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #27

I hope you are posting this information on

the RAMFORUM

50,000 RAM owners would like to hear and comment on this I'm sure.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #28

after reading the article about HEMI and me just having purchased a 2014 HEMI RAM truck this past August... I forwarded the article to a bro-in-law, recently retired from Detroit. He did stints with all of the Big 3... lost his job at GM in the restructuring in 2008-9, then worked for Chrysler for 6 years before he retired. He was an engineer of some sort for over 30 years...

His comments below...

Quote:
valve seats, which are pressed into the cylinder heads, are dropping and leading to catastrophic failures.

This is most likely a factory 'spill'. Someone allowed the female seat hole in the head to become oversize and they ran a bunch of heads. Or the seat itself was too small in diameter. Most likely caught after a period of time, but the plant manager or chief engineer said "let warranty take care of the issue." Happened to me on GM LS7 engine.... Either or, the press fit of the seats to the head are designed so this should not occur. I know the engineering spec is OK.....

This, in conjunction with smaller than feasible drain back holes in the heads and block, create a "frying pan" effect by breaking down new oil faster and leaving sludge in the engine, which ultimately gets blocked.

This is true. Even my old 3.5L has way too small drain back holes to the oil pan. This creates 'pull over' of oil into the intake manifold and burning of oil on the 3.5L. The holes are used for bay to bay breathing (piston pumping forces) as well as oil drain back. Chrysler has way too few holes and way too small of a diameter. I warned them about this issue to no avail. Also, their spark plug threads protrude into the combustion chamber on some engines. This can cause carbon build up in the threads. When you try to remove the plugs at ~120K miles you strip the aluminum threads out of the head. Ford is also guilty of this design flaw and had a recall because of it.

Good article! IMO, Running pure synthetic oil will help keep this sludging up from occurring.
Take this info for what it is worth... my bro-in-law has been a gear head since the late 60's and choose to become an automotive engineer. He worked in that field from late 70's until 2 years ago.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #29

Also, their spark plug threads protrude into the combustion chamber on some engines. This can cause carbon build up in the threads. When you try to remove the plugs at ~120K miles you strip the aluminum threads out of the head. Ford is also guilty of this design flaw and had a recall because of it.

Run a can of Sea Foam through the fuel once a year this problem solved.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
I wonder what years they are referring to? "Late model" covers a lot if ground.
Ours was a 2001 Ram quad cab and it was a problem back then-and before that.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #31
Failure is my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmith2859 View Post
A little update. So the service manager called and said the cam was in pretty rough shape and that some of the lobes were "rounded" requiring the replacement of all of the lifters. Now here is the kicker, apparently my MDS fuel pressure sensor stopped working causing the MDS to stop working, and they cant fix the truck without that, but that isnt covered under the power train warranty. How is a sensor, that controls an actual engine function, not covered under the power train warranty? That and since the cam was in "such bad shape" could that have caused premature failure? Apparently the warranty fight is long from over.....
Had it set a P018C code? That would be for the fuel rail pressure. I haven't read the "fine print" of what exactly "Powertrain" is defined to be to comment either way about the sensors being covered.

Edit: "Powertrian" may only include "lubricated parts", So the sensor may actually be bad, but most likely had nothing to do with the MDS, they just want to fix it while they're in there. To my knowledge the MDS is controlled by a lot of stuff, but I've not heard that Fuel pressure was one of the variables.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #32

Quote:

Before you put too much stock in that article, I would consider it's source. If you thought that it read like a paid for advertisement, that's because that's exactly what it was. It comes from P.R. Newswire, who distributes press releases to media outlets. Its users pay based on the length of the release. That particular article was written and posted by Powertrain Products, Inc who would gladly sell you a new engine for your Dodge.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
Before you put too much stock in that article, I would consider it's source. If you thought that it read like a paid for advertisement, that's because that's exactly what it was. It comes from P.R. Newswire, who distributes press releases to media outlets. Its users pay based on the length of the release. That particular article was written and posted by Powertrain Products, Inc who would gladly sell you a new engine for your Dodge.
True, but it was an abbreviated article on some of the problems owners are facing. There are a multitude of sites discussing owner's complaints about sludging.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #34

I see this is gonna turn into a microwave buttered popcorn thread too....
Old 04-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Personally, I think you are screwed.

I don't know an MDS from UPS myself.

In the last 30 years, the ONLY time any of my vehicles have ever seen the dealer is a recall. Thats it. Change my own oil, filters and tuneups and do an oil analysis every time.

If you had pulled a sample of your oil, you'd know if the dealer was fibbing or not.

As it is, you are screwed...

Think I'd just get out my plastic bank box and man up to the bill and smile all the way to the car dealership and get rid of it..,.preferably not a FC dealership.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #36
Camp Bartender

I got the truck back yesterday and they did a good deal of work to the engine. The engine feels better than it ever has, regardless of what I did have to pay, I am just glad pretty much all of it was done under warranty.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #37
Failure is my business

Quote:
I got the truck back yesterday and they did a good deal of work to the engine. The engine feels better than it ever has, regardless of what I did have to pay, I am just glad pretty much all of it was done under warranty.
Very cool. With the number of these motors on the road, these failures are very rare. I personally have put nearly 400,000 miles on various hemis since 2004 with absolutely no issues. You should be good for a long time.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #38
Camp Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U View Post
Very cool. With the number of these motors on the road, these failures are very rare. I personally have put nearly 400,000 miles on various hemis since 2004 with absolutely no issues. You should be good for a long time.
That is what I am hoping for. The official cause as given to me was some tolerances were not right in the heads, which caused the lifters to have too much play which caused them to wear down the cam. I do love the truck, and I certainly hope aside from regular maintenance, this is all that will need to be done on it.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #39
Just as confused as you

Don't you miss the days when you would dump a quart of ATF or diesel in the crankcase to clean the oil passages before changing it?
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Don't you miss the days when you would dump a quart of ATF or diesel in the crankcase to clean the oil passages before changing it?
I still do exactly that but I use Gunk motor flush instead.

Last time I had the valve cover off my wife's van (110K miles), the overhead was clean as a whistle.

Never had an engine sludge up, ever, but I don't buy FCA products either.

If I was the OP, I'd be loosing that truck and getting something else.