Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

Anyone else running a Husky TS Centerline WDH?

We've had the hitch for over a year now and generally like it, although it can be a bear to connect and disconnect the sway bars. Lately its been really loud though, when turning. It almost sounds like someone has fired a gun. I thought I read that you shouldn't lubricate the point of contact with the sway bars, as the friction helps control the sway. But is there somewhere else that should be lubricated? We have lubricated the ball but that doesn't seem to help.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #2

Same thing here. I got mine new with the trailer in March and half way through the year it was making quite a racket.

I know it says you should not lubricate the friction bars but read some posts here that said they did without any issues.

I pulled the pins for both friction bars and greased the surfaces where they connect with the head. I also put a small amount of grease where the bars contact the brackets on the trailer.

No more noise and I have not noticed that the anti-sway has been affected whatsoever.
jrminiquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrminiquad View Post
Same thing here. I got mine new with the trailer in March and half way through the year it was making quite a racket.

I know it says you should not lubricate the friction bars but read some posts here that said they did without any issues.

I pulled the pins for both friction bars and greased the surfaces where they connect with the head. I also put a small amount of grease where the bars contact the brackets on the trailer.

No more noise and I have not noticed that the anti-sway has been affected whatsoever.
Thanks for this. I probably will stay away from the contact points on the trailer, but I will try where they connect to the head.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
Coachman 312BHDS

I did a thread on setting up the Husky TS. Yes don't lubricate the cams on the end of the bars although the non-TS Husky WDH has that in the original instructions. It defeats their purpose by reducing friction.

Just ignore the noise - anyone in campgrounds does. Do grease the ball. I have done or watched maybe seven of them setup now and nearly all of them in the end were adjusted such that it required the jack to be pretty high to get the bars on the brackets so that enough weight is distributed to the steering axle. After that there should be zero sway - not even some sway.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
(o˘◡˘o)

There are two points of contact for the bars. One you lightly lube; one you don't. It's important to know the difference unless you want to go out of the manufacturer's instructions.

The install manual can be found online:

http://www.huskytow.com/wp-includes/...NST_042415.pdf

Under maintenance for the lift bracket (part#24) it states:

"Keep lift brackets clean, and using a light lubrication on the lift bracket support surfaces to keep rust to a minimum is acceptable."

Regarding the top and lower plates (parts #1 & 2):

"Do not apply lubrication to the friction surfaces of the top and bottom plates
or on the top or bottom trunnion surfaces as this will reduce the built in friction sway feature."

I follow these instructions and find the hitch to work effectively without being noisey.

Also, jacking the TV and trailer up so that the bars are within an inch of the plates makes installing them (or taking them off) much easier.

According to the manual:
"If it is too difficult to lift the spring bar, then raise the height of the trailer until the spring bar is closer or vertically to the spring bar support surface of the lift bracket."
Old 10-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
Coachman 312BHDS

They told me a light oil or WD40 was fine to prevent rusting only but not a thick grease specifically which would lubricate.

"Keep lift brackets clean, and using a light lubrication on the lift bracket support surfaces to keep rust to a minimum is acceptable."