Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Anyone ever convert bumper pull to gooseneck style?

Simply put in the title, has anyone switched a travel trailer from a bumper pull to a gooseneck trailer?

I am beginning to ponder on this idea... I have seen a number of utility trailers done and a few campers.

I would have to assume a camper would pull much nicer in gooseneck form rather than a bumper pull...

I am fairly certain this could be done without any problems, I am more or less curious as to how it would handle once it has completed it's transformation...

Thoughts and ideas!?

PS if you are going to post stupid comments please just save us all the time and DON'T!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #2

If you were to do it, I believe that by the time you add all the extra steel and the length of it, you would have a decent pin weight. I just wonder how what you would have to go through to get the steel welded together without a jig to rest it in. But, there are lots of people that are fantastic in making mods with steel. If you do it, take LOTS of pics. We would love to see it!

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #3

Honestly what my first thought to do the build would be to find a donor goosneck trailer and torch the tongue of it off and use it as the new tongue.

my second choice would be to order the steel and cut it. I have worked as a fabricator building much more complicated machinery than this. Currently I am a purchasing manager for a sheet steel fabrication facility so access to steel and equipment to do the mods are with in grasp...

I was thinking the same thing you mentioned that by the time the tongue is added that there would be plenty of tongue weight on the truck and the weight would be in the ideal location above the axle at that point!

Still just pondering but becoming very clear in my head...

Old 07-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

What about getting a low gooseneck trailer and somehow mounting the TT without wheels on top of it? You'd have to replumb things, too, of course.

You could give yourself a little patio and all.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #5

Pondered that too... Looking at $6-10,000 for a decent trailer to do that with... plus then the task of relocating the body of the camper. Really liked that idea of doing it though and having an additional patio/toy hauler portion but my camper is already 36' long now. State of Nebraska limits us to 40' front to back. I have roughly 4' worth of tongue now and the average length of gooseneck tongue is 6-8' from what I am seeing which will put me right at the 40' mark...

Some of them I have seen are done as you are referring to though Ependydad. A lowboy flat gooseneck with the body of a camper sitting on it with a 8-10' patio for toys and such... would be really cool!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

I think it would work great. And fabing it up shouldn't be to bad. Swing down here to OK and we could knock it out on a Saturday, steel yards about 10 miles down the road and ive got 2 welders in the shop.

If the pic showed up, you can zoom in on the neck area. The vertical I beam is butted straight up to the horizontal main beams.
Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130729_212403.jpg
Views:	2463
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	36498  
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #7

Thanks for the picture! I would be basing it off of something very similar to that. My thought to fab one would be to run maybe 3' of I beam under the camper's frame and extend it out to the vertical perches. The trailers we have at work the vertical section is sitting on top of the horizontal frame members, yours appears to run down the face of the horizontal members. I think I would run the horizontal member out farther so I had a area at the front of the camper that I could lay a cross beam to build a platform for my battery and propane tanks! I'd also mount my spare as yours is and many goosnecks are up in the tongue.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #8

I'm guessing you don't like the way your rig tows today? Otherwise, why bother, and why haul around the extra steel.

I would think there is a tradeoff somewhere, and that's probably found in your truck's ratings. Compare how much tongue-weight you can handle (on the rear-receiver, weight-distributed) to how much pin weight you can handle. Be sure not to include the weight of whatever you actually keep in the truck bed when camping.

Whatever the difference in weight/ratings, do you think your fabrication will remain within? I've heard that most people towing 5th wheels hit their payload limit long before they hit their MAX tow rating or GCVWR. So really think about the added weight. I'm sure you have enough engine to pull. But do you have enough payload?
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

As an alternative to modding up a bumper pull as a goosneck, consider the Pullrite hitch. It creates a pivot point at the axle of the tow vehicle - like a fifth wheel hitch - but mounted under the vehicle instead of above the axle. Kind of like an upside down 5th wheel.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #10

I've looked into these. I do not like how the pullrite is setup. I don't like how it pivots, I don't like how it mounts, I really don't like anything about it!

I have seen the hensley arrow and the pro pride I believe... At the tune of $2500 bucks for the hitch. I can easily build the new tongue for a gooseneck for much less than that!

Biggest thing will be to find out if the DW wants to hang with this one for the long haul or not. We decided on the travel trailer over a 5er as she didn't like all the stairs and how it felt "chopped up" with the stairs inside...