Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

Anyone have a Nissan Titan XD Gas?

Wondering if anyone on here tows with a Nissan Titan XD Gas pickup? I have a '16 F150 but all the campers we like are around 7500-7900 lbs loaded. (current truck is 9000lb max tow and would rather not be near the max) The Titan XD gets me 400 lbs more payload and 1800 lbs more towing capacity. Tried going on the TitanXD forumn but there is not much activity there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Brendon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #2

Don't have a Titan XD but I have one of the original production year plain old Titan's.

Mine has towed two different trailers without hesitation weighing from my latest at 6300-6500 to my old one which pushed 7500 lbs when loaded.

The new Titans just got better with more horsepower and load capacity.

The Diesel was a flop though.

FWIW, the Titan was the first vehicle I've purchased new that didn't have to spend a ton of time with the Dealer to get problems worked out.

Only a couple recalls for rather inconsequential items that were repaired while I waited (and usually got a free oil change for my troubles ). First year had a brake issue centered on poor quality rotors from the supplier. Got new rotors, Calipers, and pads early on and no brake issues since. At 113,000 miles I'm still on the replacement brakes that were installed around 40,000 miles.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #3
Site Team

You'll get worse gas mileage with the Titan, compared to the F150. It has the worse mpg than any other 1/2 ton.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #4

My son build custom Nissan trucks for Nissan USA media events, so we have a lot of all models around. Have 3 Titan gas and 3 Titan XD gas right now, plus a couple XD diesels. Love them as absolutely work horse trucks, which do everything we ask for. Recently I was pulling my fully loaded Coachmen Adrenaline 26 toy hauler with my 2017 Titan. It weighed up to 10,500 fulled loaded with tanks and my Kawasaki Teryx UTV inside.

Mileage is 7-9 mpg when towing, but plenty of power. I get as good as 20 on the highway, running 75-80 out here in the West.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
Grammar Pedant

7,500 - 7,900 isn't very close at all to a 9,000 lb tow rating. That's a perfectly fine match. No reason to be concerned about being 1,000+ lbs away from the rating.

But, as with every other 1/2 ton discussion, you are missing the big issue: payload. Every 1/2 discussion needs to begin and end with payload. Towing capacity is a red herring. Forgot you ever saw it. Focus on payload.

Nissan's market share is in the noise level of a rounding error. You're never going to find a ton of discussion about Titans simply due to the relative scarcity of them on the road.

But, chances are that if your '16 F-150 is lacking, it will be based upon payload and, at that point, it's not likely that some other 1/2 ton will make too much difference ... other than the F-150 HDPP.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #6

I have a 2018 XD gasser, I've got about 10,000 miles on it and about 6500 of them were towing, my camper weighs in at about 9500 to 10000 loaded, I have been very happy with the truck, not the best gas mpg, but its not really a 1/2 ton truck. I owned a 2004 F250 and this truck feels as stable as it did. Go test drive an XD, see what it feels like, I think you will definably feel a difference from your F-150

Good luck
2020 Wolfpack 25PACK12
2018 Harley Road Glide Special
jdbunch1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #7

The payload is the key

You are going to be close to the payload limits of any 1/2 ton, except the new Dodge Hemi or the Ford 3.6 Max Tow. When you look @ sticker $, you can get a gas 3/4 ton of any of the big three and have better brakes and higher payload for less $'s. Then you have the ability to upgrade later w/o buying another truck. Just my 2 cents worth. I pull a 8K-V-Lite, moved from a Tundra to Ford Super Duty diesel, big improvement. Mileage improved from 8.5 to 12.5 on 6K trip, much more secure in wind and comfortable towing.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:05 AM   #8

On the part of price as Tundra2014 brought up, I was shopping in August of 2018, I priced a 18 F250 6.2 gas XLT with heated seats and gps - sticker of 52,100 -- best price I got was 46500 OTD, drove a Chevy 2500 with the same options, sticker of 53,600 - 48,100 OTD, then the XD Titan - sticker 51,900 - same options - heated seats, 20inch rims, gps ect - 39,700 OTD -- that's a cost savings of 6 to 8 K. I don't look at the XD as a 1/2 ton truck, its closer to an 3/4 ton on the gas side than a 1/2 ton. Nissan really underrated and didn't know how to market the XD, yes the diesel was way underpowered compaired the 3/4 tons, but the gas models are close
The best thing to do is go test drive everything you want and make your own decision up, that's what I did and I'm really happy, The only thing I really like better now is that BAD ASS 6 WAY TAILGATE BY GMC --- that's COOL
2020 Wolfpack 25PACK12
2018 Harley Road Glide Special
jdbunch1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #9

I have the regular 2017 Titan 5.6 crew 4x4 gas. 45k miles in 2 yrs trouble free. I avg 18 combined, about 21-22 highway, 14-15 towing my bass boat. I got a whopping 8.5 towing my 2511 to Cherokee and back but still do not have it set up right height wise plus have SL tires instead of LT tires on the truck.....mistake I made buying new tires. I previously owned a 5.7 Hemi 2013 Ram and a 2009 Silverado 5.3. This Titan pulls my boat better and with better mpg than the previous 2. I cannot comment on the camper since we just bought it and only used the Titan to tow it. I got the Titan for 3 reasons....it and the Tundra do NOT go from 8 cyl to 4 and the Titan does not have electronic steering pump. Those are really expensive to replace. The big reason was it is totally made in the USA vs my Ram's motor and my Silverado was made in Mehhhico. I know you asked about the XD and I commented as they share the same motor and maybe transmissions.
RetArmyxtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #10

I have just traded my 2017 XD gas in preparation for upgrading to a fifth wheel. I really enjoyed everything about the XD except fuel mileage. Mixed driving city/highway averaged 14.5 mpg over approximately 40,000 miles. Towing my 8,000 TT I would get 8-9 mpg. I towed all over Tennessee and made several long trips and enjoyed every minute of it. Just don’t be afraid to let it rev on the hills. For the weight you are talking I think it’s a perfect truck and value.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastalkintn View Post
I have just traded my 2017 XD gas in preparation for upgrading to a fifth wheel. I really enjoyed everything about the XD except fuel mileage. Mixed driving city/highway averaged 14.5 mpg over approximately 40,000 miles. Towing my 8,000 TT I would get 8-9 mpg. I towed all over Tennessee and made several long trips and enjoyed every minute of it. Just don’t be afraid to let it rev on the hills. For the weight you are talking I think it’s a perfect truck and value.
That's pretty much what I get with my '04 Titan.

Talked to the owner of a new Ford F150 crew 4wd with Eco Boost at my local Walmart the other day. He tows a trailer similar to mine (24', 6500 lb) and gets up to 14 mpg towing, around 20 with no tow.

Nice savings in fuel cost but since my old Titan is paid for how long would it take for me to pay for the new truck on fuel savings. The extra 5 mpg I'd get towing would probably take more time to offset the cost than I have left in this lifetime. I'd save a whopping $1500 per 10,000 miles of towing which is about an average year for me. A King Ranch version would set me back around $50k. My "fuel savings" would take 30+ years to offset the purchase of a new Ford with all the whistles. At my age I'd just be buying a new truck for either my Son or Daughter. Think I'll let them buy their own

Old 10-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That's pretty much what I get with my '04 Titan.

Talked to the owner of a new Ford F150 crew 4wd with Eco Boost at my local Walmart the other day. He tows a trailer similar to mine (24', 6500 lb) and gets up to 14 mpg towing, around 20 with no tow.

Nice savings in fuel cost but since my old Titan is paid for how long would it take for me to pay for the new truck on fuel savings. The extra 5 mpg I'd get towing would probably take more time to offset the cost than I have left in this lifetime. I'd save a whopping $1500 per 10,000 miles of towing which is about an average year for me. A King Ranch version would set me back around $50k. My "fuel savings" would take 30+ years to offset the purchase of a new Ford with all the whistles. At my age I'd just be buying a new truck for either my Son or Daughter. Think I'll let them buy their own
BUT, Must you offset the purchase price? I mean it would be comparable if you were talking two comparable vehicles, but you are talking one 15 years newer with with newer suspension, trchnology,safety features, powertrain, comfort, perks, etc.. You get the picture. So why is it necessary to compare the relative time to recoup the purchase price on a new vehicle, when perhaps, you just want a new vehicle or it does the job better? Maybe some of the perfomance gains, comfort, etc.. all help make up for that purchase price and have value to you.

That being said.. If were to look at normally aspirated V8 1/2 ton now days Iw ould take a hard look at the Titan. It checks a lot of boxes for me, and thats coming from a previous f-150 ecoboost owner.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
BUT, Must you offset the purchase price? I mean it would be comparable if you were talking two comparable vehicles, but you are talking one 15 years newer with with newer suspension, trchnology,safety features, powertrain, comfort, perks, etc.. You get the picture. So why is it necessary to compare the relative time to recoup the purchase price on a new vehicle, when perhaps, you just want a new vehicle or it does the job better? Maybe some of the perfomance gains, comfort, etc.. all help make up for that purchase price and have value to you.

That being said.. If were to look at normally aspirated V8 1/2 ton now days Iw ould take a hard look at the Titan. It checks a lot of boxes for me, and thats coming from a previous f-150 ecoboost owner.

I agree with all your points. New is nice but as long as present truck is doing what I NEED, the only real gain to me would be fuel mileage. Unlike my Son In Law for example, I don't really need all the bells and whistles that manufacturers are packing their new vehicles with. Some safety features are nice but even as an old fart I prefer to look at the side view mirrors before changing lanes and don't need the vehicle to tell me it's OK or not. Same for adaptive cruise control, automatic braking, etc, etc.

I learned how to drive the old fashioned way and have managed to avoid accident situations quite well over the years.

If my butt is comfortable, road and wind noise isn't an issue, the radio works, and all the power train items are purring along I don't see a new truck in my future.

Would I buy a new Titan? Probably. By that time I might be a lot older and just lease one. When the lease is up my kids may have taken my keys away by then

Tags
gas