Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #1

Anyone know when Chevy 2014 Max Trailer Package will be available?

Chevy/Silverado has changed for 2014. They have a new EcoTec3 engine, and it is available in all 3 V8 sizes. Supposed to pull more, too.

However, they also have announced a "Max Trailer Package" that merely says "Available Fall 2013".

I can't find anything about this package, or when it will be available. I'm in market for a new truck soon, and I'm a Chevy Guy (but not that hard core, I'd change if absolutely necessary). But I don't know how long I will have to wait on this new package.

My only concern is that it appears to be coming with the Active Fuel Management system, which was a flop and failure (huge oil burner) last time they tried it.........

Anyone???
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
daydreaming about camping

There are at least two Chevy dealers on this forum, maybe they can chime in. From what I read the max tow package would be available for order immediately with the new trucks. I know the 14's hit dealers lots around a month ago, probably a few out there.

As for the active fuel management, Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep has offered it since either 01 or 03 on the HEMI with no problems. I have owned two with that feature, both were rock solid. If you removed most of the exhaust, you could hear the exhaust note change when it went to 4 cylinders. No reason to think the Chevy system would have any more problems than Dodge.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link I found... The All-New 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Pickup Truck | Chevrolet Canada

Looks like the max trailer package rating is 11500 lb for the 5.3L and 12000 lb for the 6.2L. Unless they've done something dramatic with the truck's payload capacity, these higher max tow ratings are irrelevant as the payload is always the limiting factor.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #4

Payload says 2007 lbs. Not sure where the extra 7 came from!

And not sure what that means, I wish I wuz as smurt az you guise on this stuff! Man, I have so much to learn.

I did see this at your link: (What is the impact of this?)

The rear axle size has been increased to handle higher torque in all engine applications. The 6.2L V8 engine, available this fall, features a 9.5-inch (241 mm) axle, and the V6 models feature an 8.6-inch (218 mm) axle. A 9.76-inch (248 mm) rear axle is included with the optional Max Trailering Package available this fall that can be specified with either the EcoTec3 5.3L or 6.2L V8 engines for the ultimate in towing performance.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Missing Link

If gm is doing like they have in the past the only way to get the 6.2 is the get the max tow. And it does have a higher payload as it comes with a different rear axle and wouldn't worry to much about the oil burning as it was a problem with the 5.3 till they made changes in 2011 and the ones that had issues was being taken care of by gm.

Don't know the exact availability but you can go to your dealer and order one now so they shouldn't be to far off. Was thinking of trading my 2012 cc for a new 6.2 but all the new cc are built in Mexico so will probably go to the hd. And another option coming is the ram 1500 diesel.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's also interesting to see that it's now available with a 6 1/2' box on the crew cab. The fuel consumption they quote of the 5.3 RWD is 18.2/27.2 miles per USG city/hwy and 17.8/26.3 for the 4X4.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #7

No dealer I can find has any idea when these are coming. Can't find any concrete data much on delivery dates. Odd.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

The dealers dont know for sure when new releases will show up. The get invoices, but some times it will be weeks before the vehicle makes it in.
- last week we got our first 4 real doors(rear opening)- extended cab trucks. Still no regular cabs.
-As for the variable displacement (active fuel management) engines, the 5.3 has been in gm vehicles for years. Almost impossible to find a '07 and newer tahoe or yukon without them. The 8th digit on vin # is 0 for this engine.
These have had a few that made a squeaking noise while running, so cam would be replaced- usually under warranty, I believe there is a bulletin on it. But there are thousands of them on the road right now ( and alot of people dont even know what it does or if they even have it) with out any problems at all.
- I havent ever towed with one, but I would bet that the tow haul mode would disable the cylinder dropping- if I hear anything ill mention it.

Btw tooling and parts inventor being used up or new coming in would be the unknown variable on when all models and options will become available, I do believe.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #9

Still wonder what the best guess on time good inventory will be available is.

I hear ya........have a buddy who had the AFM in Chevy 1/2 ton, I am not sure the year but I think 2008.......and he used about 2 quarts of oil per tank. Dealer said this, said that, piddled, but said it was solely due to AFM, and he finally bought a Ford last month. That's my sole 'experience' with AFM, except if I Google it, I find a lot of complaints.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

Yeah, it will be like the ecoboost and everything else. There are a few bad ones, after all they are all built by humans in a non perfect world, but for every complaint of a problem there are probably thousands that dont have problems. So I wouldn't go on just one or 2 encounters. If it were a big issue you would hear about it like the ford 6.0 diesels had.

If you dont want the risk, then of course look at a different design. But I will probably put my wife in a new tahoe with one of these variable displacement engines in a few weeks. I doubt ill have a problem but the 100k powertrain should fix it if the need arises!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #11

No, it sounds like a great idea. And I am 98.4395% sure I will buy one (if they EVER come out). I must have a new TV, and I'm a Chevy guy. Current Chevy ain't got enough lead in its pencil.

However, Googling "Chevy AFM Oil Consumption" gets a HUGE ton of hits!!!

Wife's vehicle is a 2001 Tahoe with 190,000 miles that we just drove cross country. Lost the fuel pump just inside North Carolina. Other than that, it should go 250,000. Best vehicle I ever owned, other than the current truck......whose only issue is it ain't big enough.....not its fault.

2500 with 6.2L and the new 9.76 axle and Max Trailer Package........if they ever show up!! White and brown would be nice!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Yes sir that would be nice!
I love the extra room in the new cc. Im waiting for the new HDs with diesel! Id love to have the bigger cab.

Tags
trailer