Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
ATV Junkie
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i would like to hear the real scoop please sir.
i run a bypass oil system as well , but wholly cow it still gets nasty after 12k miles, been looking hard now at syn oil to go 20 k
Under normal conditions, AMSOIL will take you to 25k miles. However, under a load or abnormal ( dusty, muddy, etc..) they recommend service at 15k. Being I turn wrenches for a living - it was difficult for me to grasp the idea of not changing fluids at 5k, let alone 25k!? I eased into it and went to 10k for the first 2 changes and from then on I don't go over 15k. Something in my brain can't grasp 25k between changes. Mainly because I've seen my share of clogged pick-up screens and know that there's no lubricant that can get past it.

None the less, take a look at all of the lubricants. Amsoil is the only true 100% synthetic.

Anyone can become a "prefered" customer with Amsoil and get it shipped to their door at a discounted price. I think that plan is 20 bucks a year and IMO, worth every penny.

Bulldog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
I get the oil sampled at 19k miles after a filter change (1k before the next is due). So far so good on the reports. It's still very good for service. With the bypass setup (under the driver's door attached to the frame) there is about 8 feet of 1/2" ID hose plus the filters hold a lot of oil. Base oil capacity is right at 4 gallons then add the extra area and it's almost another gallon of oil. So every time I change filters I add almost another gallon of new oil.

As far as it looking "nasty"....... it's a diesel. Even with a complete oil and filter change the oil is black after a 100 miles. Mine doesn't look any different after 100k. You can't go by looks alone, that's why I get it sampled to verify it's still serviceable. Syn oil doesn't really "go bad". It gets dirty and that's what a good bypass filter setup will do for you, clean the oil. I know a guy with almost 400k miles on his 7.3 running the bypass and I just copy his service interval and all is good. Yeah I know it kind of freaks people out when I tell them I don't change the oil but filter it real good. I also use Amsoil's diesel additives as well and their grease.

And yeah I'm a "perfered customer". I generally only order oil once a year. I run it in my wife's car, 25k miles between changes and that car has 168k miles on it. I also run it in my scoot, 10k on the crank and 5k on each the tranny and primary.

Since I'm one of their "perfered customers" I also order products for friends as well so they don't have to spend the $20. I don't charge them anything to order for them, what I pay is what they pay. Problem is they will only ship to my address. I've tried having them ship elsewhere but they keep messing that up and ship to my home addy.

This dude has a LOT of info about Amsoil on his site here. And here is his page on the PSD and bypass setup.

aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
thank you gentlemen
i to am a synthetic nut, i run it in everything cept the oil burner, i to get very nervy around 10k on an oil change, i run samples to but not every change, might need to start back up go 25k on an oil change,
my bypass set up is good down to one micron and is mounted under the drivers dooor as well.
i ran syn in my boat for 14 of its 16 years i onwed it, with bypass and sampling i only changed it 4 times, but like you guys dropped a new filter at hrly intervals
i got a bad taste from amsoil years ago from a not so nice dealer, not the product just him, so i let it go and ran mobil and castrol syn oils.
wifes car gets syn and we gained 2 mpg at highway speeds,
tranny is all syn as the trucks.

thanks again, going to go do some reading
Living in the Piney Woods of Texas.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
In December 2005 we bought a 2000 Excursion 7.3 with 200+k miles, now has 270K. I have 80% of the service records from day 1 and there have been no major repairs. I have had issues you would expect from 200+k and just upgraded the trany to a Jasper Monster Box rather than just replace the stock torque converter, seals and fluid pump.

I run with a Hypertech tunner and Motor Latte diesel additive and get about 19mpg at 65mph, 14 around town and 7.5 to 10 towing my 28' All American, loaded 20+k lbs gross truck, camper, 2-quads, a load of 30g of gas and 100g of water.

West Virginia hills tend to slow me but only by 10mph or so.

I would have advised against the 04 6.0 also. Wish that I could afford the 08-F350 ps good luck.

Do the readers a favor and keep us posted on the 08 performance and stats.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #15

Just giving a quick update on the '08.

So far around town getting around 12mpg which i figure isn't too bad. I put in some cetane booster from Ford, and just driving home from the dealer and gas station to top off the tank, it made a difference in performance and noise control. I was getting a bit of a rattling noise when the low-end turbo was spinning up. Now it's gone. I have almost the "required" 500 miles on it to start towing. We'll be testing it out the weekend of Oct 10th. I'll report back the towing mileage then. But, so far so good.

2008 Rockwood 2701ss
2008 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.4L PSD
Reese DC WD hitch
bricole1973 is offline   Reply With Quote