Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #1

Anyone own an '04 f-250 PSD?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone owns an '04 f-250 PSD. I am interested in the mpg they get while towing and not towing.

I currently tow with an '06 f-150 with a 5.4L and get approx 12 mpg city and 17-18 hwy not towing and around 10-12mpg towing.

I want to know if moving up to the f-250 with a diesel engine would get better gas mileage. I figured that at the current gas prices around here, if i could squeeze out at least 15 mpg towing and 20 mpg not towing on a diesel I'd still be ahead in overall fuel costs.

I found a sweet deal on an '04 f-250 crew cab fx4 with the 6.0L PSD. 27003 miles on it for only $18975! I am trying to convince the wife to let me pull the trigger on this on.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

bricole1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #2

Your mileage may vary............

My father had an 02 with the 7.3 and loved it. Traded it for an 04 and hated it. Now owns an 07 and is OK with it. His 07 gets about 14 city and 21 highway and 10-12 towing his 5'er.

Mileage on the motors after 7.3 was "supposed" to be better and some folks get really good mileage. My 2000 7.3 dually gets about 16.5 avg highway and 9-12 towing.

I still prefer a diesel over gas for towing no matter the mileage.

but that's me

greg

aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #3

I've got 05 F350 3.73 gears 6.0 PSD bought it new. Tow 27RLSE wildcat lots of power. Tow 24ft stocktrailer loaded with cattle lot of power. Just for diesel option approx 5500.00 bucks Towing approx 9 to 10 mpg realisticly! Not towing and under 70mph about 17mpg consistantly. Also have 2008 F150 supercrew 5.4 triton gas. 19 to 20 mpg with 3.73gears also. I tow the wildcat with it most of the time. 9 to 10 mpg, and gas is alot easier to find not to mention alot cheaper. Plenty of Power also. Maint is lot ceaper on the gaser 20.00 oil and filter. 100.00 bucks if not more for the diesel service. But it is all in what you want. Happy camping. Dan
2005 F350 PSD dully
In Missouri
N0INF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #4

I would check that 04 VERY closely

Be careful

http://wot.motortrend.com/6261139/au...els/index.html

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the link and for everyone else's comments.

I have been reading mixed reviews on the '04 models too. But, like any product people either seem to love them or hate them. I just don't know.

I've seen people reporting mpgs anywhere from 13 - 20+. I'm sure it's all a matter of driving habits and maintenance too. I just have fallen into the "what I have works, but I want bigger and better club."

We are heading out this weekend for another camping trip (5th one so far this year) so maybe I'll check out the truck when I get back. Ultimately though, I'll have to get clearance from the big boss lady anyway.

Brian
Old 09-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
ATV Junkie

I own an 05' (9-04' build) 350 cc lwb 3.73 Lariat. Tow the 26 TH, loaded down.

I also own and operate an auto repair facility. For what it's worth...

I can tell you that there's not another "stock" power plant on the market that can keep up with the 6.0. However, with a few modifications - there's several that can run side by side.

We're talking the whole scheme of towing. Not just fuel mileage. IE: Mileage, 0-60, 40-70 (normal interstate entry speed) and the oh so ever over looked stopping ability.

Being able to get the rig moving is one thing and being able to stop it safely is another. There's many times I've had to get down hard on the anchors and never really felt out of controll. I average 15-19 city (pending my driving habbits. The 6.0 runs like no other diesel and the right foot gets a little heavy at times) and 9-13 towing. Again, pending load and conditions. The best story I have is I recently took a trip to an ATV park in Madison FL. The park had just recieved 12" of rain and the main drive to the camping site was axle deep the whole way. I was one of only a handfull of trucks that didn't require assistance to get through. Only one of them was not Ford and that truck had more in modifications than both of my ATV's cost. (Cummings)

On to a little more specifics about the Ford PSD. Synthetics are your friend. They're a little more up front in cost, but average out over the long run. Filter selection and quality of lubricants is critical. Chosing a run of the mill filter will shorten the life span of any vehicle, even more so in the 6.0.

The 6/0 wants to work. It "needs" to work. IF this will be more of a daily driver (grocery getter) then perhaps this isin't the truck for you. This truck needs to reach optimum operating temperatures to burn the "coking" of the turbo veins and let the EGR get warm enough to burn unused fuel as its designed to do. It don't like to idle for lengthy periods because of wet stacking (unburnt fuel sitting on top of the piston) and causing build up over time and eventually blow by. Hence my mileage being all over the place. I run a tank of fuel out at higher temps. My truck is nearing 70k miles and I've not had one issue. I service it at 12.5k miles using only AMSOIL products.

After mid 04' IH worked out just about all of the bugs that were thrusted on them in 02' when Ford approached them about finding a replacement for the 7.3 (which was all but bullet proof). All of the Turbo and EGR issues have been ironed out and there's only a small number of problematic trucks left. Which will be in any make.

The new 08+ Cummings motor has many of the same features that the 6.0 has had all along and some new ones as well (built in jake brake), etc...

The best advice I can give from a technician stand point is to ask for (or request) an OASIS report on the VIN# you're considering. It'll ive you a history of warranty work done. Which, by the way, Ford is offering a 2yr 200k mile extension warranty through an ESP plan. Just see a local dealer. Take a look at the report and see if there's been a rash of repairs. If so, then perhaps look elsewhere. However, reaching 50-60k miles and minor issues is proving to be the norm for getting a good truck.

Here's a link to a forum I frequent. Alot of knowledgeable and honest folks here.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
Bulldog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #7

Thanks for the reply Bulldog.

I was so convinced about the ford diesels that I just purchased a new '08 f-250 with the 6.4L. Can't say anything negative about it yet, then again, I've owned it for about 12 hours now. But too many positives to name right now too.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #8

Hey now Congrats!!

Man! Went from looking at a used 04 to buying a NEW 08 PSD!!! Right on!

And what Bulldog said about the syn oil is right on but put a couple k miles on it first (my opinion).

See my sig for what I use, I haven't "changed" my oil in almost a 100k miles. I service it every 20k with new filters and top off with almost a gallon to replace filter loss. I lose about a quart every 5k miles or so and top off, no major.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #9

Aintgotnun, thanks for the kind words. We were looking at the used market and decided not to take on anyone else's problems. We thought if we're gonna do this, do it new so we know the entire history.

We wanted a truck that would handle longer trips and more hilly areas better than the f-150. Especially if we decide to roll up on my parents neck of the woods in Texas. Figured Illinois to Texas in the f-150 was doable, but not comfortable. We just wanted the piece of mind of having a truck that wouldn't even blink at the trailer being there.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
Hey now Congrats!!

See my sig for what I use, I haven't "changed" my oil in almost a 100k miles. I service it every 20k with new filters and top off with almost a gallon to replace filter loss. I lose about a quart every 5k miles or so and top off, no major.

ummmmm
i would like to hear the real scoop please sir.
i run a bypass oil system as well , but wholly cow it still gets nasty after 12k miles, been looking hard now at syn oil to go 20 k
thanks
robert
Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
ATV Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
ummmmm
i would like to hear the real scoop please sir.
i run a bypass oil system as well , but wholly cow it still gets nasty after 12k miles, been looking hard now at syn oil to go 20 k
thanks
robert
Under normal conditions, AMSOIL will take you to 25k miles. However, under a load or abnormal ( dusty, muddy, etc..) they recommend service at 15k. Being I turn wrenches for a living - it was difficult for me to grasp the idea of not changing fluids at 5k, let alone 25k!? I eased into it and went to 10k for the first 2 changes and from then on I don't go over 15k. Something in my brain can't grasp 25k between changes. Mainly because I've seen my share of clogged pick-up screens and know that there's no lubricant that can get past it.

None the less, take a look at all of the lubricants. Amsoil is the only true 100% synthetic.

Lastly,

Anyone can become a "prefered" customer with Amsoil and get it shipped to their door at a discounted price. I think that plan is 20 bucks a year and IMO, worth every penny.

Cheers.
Bulldog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #12

I get the oil sampled at 19k miles after a filter change (1k before the next is due). So far so good on the reports. It's still very good for service. With the bypass setup (under the driver's door attached to the frame) there is about 8 feet of 1/2" ID hose plus the filters hold a lot of oil. Base oil capacity is right at 4 gallons then add the extra area and it's almost another gallon of oil. So every time I change filters I add almost another gallon of new oil.

As far as it looking "nasty"....... it's a diesel. Even with a complete oil and filter change the oil is black after a 100 miles. Mine doesn't look any different after 100k. You can't go by looks alone, that's why I get it sampled to verify it's still serviceable. Syn oil doesn't really "go bad". It gets dirty and that's what a good bypass filter setup will do for you, clean the oil. I know a guy with almost 400k miles on his 7.3 running the bypass and I just copy his service interval and all is good. Yeah I know it kind of freaks people out when I tell them I don't change the oil but filter it real good. I also use Amsoil's diesel additives as well and their grease.

And yeah I'm a "perfered customer". I generally only order oil once a year. I run it in my wife's car, 25k miles between changes and that car has 168k miles on it. I also run it in my scoot, 10k on the crank and 5k on each the tranny and primary.

Since I'm one of their "perfered customers" I also order products for friends as well so they don't have to spend the $20. I don't charge them anything to order for them, what I pay is what they pay. Problem is they will only ship to my address. I've tried having them ship elsewhere but they keep messing that up and ship to my home addy.

This dude has a LOT of info about Amsoil on his site here. And here is his page on the PSD and bypass setup.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #13

thank you gentlemen
i to am a synthetic nut, i run it in everything cept the oil burner, i to get very nervy around 10k on an oil change, i run samples to but not every change, might need to start back up go 25k on an oil change,
my bypass set up is good down to one micron and is mounted under the drivers dooor as well.
i ran syn in my boat for 14 of its 16 years i onwed it, with bypass and sampling i only changed it 4 times, but like you guys dropped a new filter at hrly intervals
i got a bad taste from amsoil years ago from a not so nice dealer, not the product just him, so i let it go and ran mobil and castrol syn oils.
wifes car gets syn and we gained 2 mpg at highway speeds,
tranny is all syn as the trucks.

thanks again, going to go do some reading
Old 09-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #14

In December 2005 we bought a 2000 Excursion 7.3 with 200+k miles, now has 270K. I have 80% of the service records from day 1 and there have been no major repairs. I have had issues you would expect from 200+k and just upgraded the trany to a Jasper Monster Box rather than just replace the stock torque converter, seals and fluid pump.

I run with a Hypertech tunner and Motor Latte diesel additive and get about 19mpg at 65mph, 14 around town and 7.5 to 10 towing my 28' All American, loaded 20+k lbs gross truck, camper, 2-quads, a load of 30g of gas and 100g of water.

West Virginia hills tend to slow me but only by 10mph or so.

I would have advised against the 04 6.0 also. Wish that I could afford the 08-F350 ps good luck.

Do the readers a favor and keep us posted on the 08 performance and stats.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #15

Hello,

Just giving a quick update on the '08.

So far around town getting around 12mpg which i figure isn't too bad. I put in some cetane booster from Ford, and just driving home from the dealer and gas station to top off the tank, it made a difference in performance and noise control. I was getting a bit of a rattling noise when the low-end turbo was spinning up. Now it's gone. I have almost the "required" 500 miles on it to start towing. We'll be testing it out the weekend of Oct 10th. I'll report back the towing mileage then. But, so far so good.