Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
m2kamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
I'm fairly new to towing, having only done it 10x in the last 2 years, but I feel everything that passes me. I feel the push of even the smallest cars like a prius when it passes me going quickly. It's not a big push and pull but it's noticeable. It's never caused me to sway however. My combo moves as one.

When I first got my trailer and pulled it for the first time, I only had about 10 miles to go from dealer to home. I didn't have my wdh hooked up yet so I pulled it from the ball only. At 50mph the whole time, I felt everything.
Thanks for the reply! I have not had any sway issue yet, but do have experience towing. The largest box I have towed prior was a 6x12 Uhaul box trailer. Towing that many times with lesser TVs and no WDH, I've never experienced the push feeling.

The feeling is akin to sitting at a traffic light waiting for a left turn with traffic passing by to the right at speed.

It seems the speed differential is the variable as I don't feel traffic passing at a slower speed.

Do 3/4 and 1 ton truck drivers towing big sail TTs experience this at all?
__________________

__________________
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS GVWR 7815lbs/Fastway e2 10k
2016 Ram 2500 CC Tradesman 6.4L 4x4 3.73 GVWR 10000lbs, 3176lb Payload, 12630lb Tow, Max Tongue 1800, GCWR 19800
2017 Ram 1500 CC Lone Star 3.6L 4x2 3.55 GVWR 6800lbs, 1673lb Payload, 7510lb Tow, Max Tongue 1100, GCWR 12900
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frederica DE
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2kamp View Post
Thanks for the reply! I have not had any sway issue yet, but do have experience towing. The largest box I have towed prior was a 6x12 Uhaul box trailer. Towing that many times with lesser TVs and no WDH, I've never experienced the push feeling.

The feeling is akin to sitting at a traffic light waiting for a left turn with traffic passing by to the right at speed.

It seems the speed differential is the variable as I don't feel traffic passing at a slower speed.

Do 3/4 and 1 ton truck drivers towing big sail TTs experience this at all?
Yeah I can feel some traffic pushing against me with 3/4 T but not like did with my 1/2 T. But by no means is it a white knuckling experience. For what ever reason, I always know when I'm being passed by a mini van of all things.
__________________

__________________

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
m2kamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Yeah I can feel some traffic pushing against me with 3/4 T but not like did with my 1/2 T. But by no means is it a white knuckling experience. For what ever reason, I always know when I'm being passed by a mini van of all things.
Haha minivans! Thankfully my wife hates them, so we've never had one.

Thank you for the response, especially noting that you are towing with a Hensley Hitch...

It seems that this effect comes with the territory when towing big TT's.
__________________
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS GVWR 7815lbs/Fastway e2 10k
2016 Ram 2500 CC Tradesman 6.4L 4x4 3.73 GVWR 10000lbs, 3176lb Payload, 12630lb Tow, Max Tongue 1800, GCWR 19800
2017 Ram 1500 CC Lone Star 3.6L 4x2 3.55 GVWR 6800lbs, 1673lb Payload, 7510lb Tow, Max Tongue 1100, GCWR 12900
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Putting some distance between you and the approaching truck is key to keeping some of the "pull" under control. When I see a truck approaching from the left and behind, I steer to the right of the lane, and it makes a big difference. If I am crowding the left of the lane, then the truck bow wave give my trailer a good push, which cause the truck to get even closer to the left before corrections are made.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frederica DE
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Putting some distance between you and the approaching truck is key to keeping some of the "pull" under control. When I see a truck approaching from the left and behind, I steer to the right of the lane, and it makes a big difference. If I am crowding the left of the lane, then the truck bow wave give my trailer a good push, which cause the truck to get even closer to the left before corrections are made.
Yes this is great advice. Many truck drivers know this will happen and will move to the left of their lane. But you will find there is that one guy who gets a kick outta watching you squirm.
__________________

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2kamp View Post
I will start looking at the Dual Cam or Equalizer hitch. Thanks!
Please include Blue Ox Swaypro in your decision making process as well. Excellent weight distribution...no sway...no angle adjustment...quiet...easy hookup...new rig, just buy new bars to match tongue weight requirements.

Better than the other 2? Not necessarily better but it is my preference and certainly worth consideration.
__________________
2016 Microlite 21DS
2014 Ram 1500 QC 6 cyl. 8 spd.
Blue Ox SwayPro
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #17
2014Catalina 25RKS Deluxe
 
jeffdawgfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 33
I am using the Anderson hitch with Catalina 25RKS Deluxe. About 7500# GVW when loaded and tongue weight around 800#. I am having no issues. Weight distribution is good and zero sway issues. You do have to be careful to not over tighten the chain bolts or you will get a bouncing see-saw effect when hitting dips in the road. Using the hitch on a RAM 1500. Dang, showing my age. How many young kids today would even know what a See-Saw is. Unless it is played on an xbox....forget it.
__________________
Official caretakers of Sasha & Blakely the King Charles Cavalier Spaniels. (We drive their camper around for them)

2014 Coachman Catalina 25 RKS Deluxe, Anderson WDH, 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 for TV
jeffdawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
m2kamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdawgfan View Post
I am using the Anderson hitch with Catalina 25RKS Deluxe. About 7500# GVW when loaded and tongue weight around 800#. I am having no issues. Weight distribution is good and zero sway issues. You do have to be careful to not over tighten the chain bolts or you will get a bouncing see-saw effect when hitting dips in the road. Using the hitch on a RAM 1500. Dang, showing my age. How many young kids today would even know what a See-Saw is. Unless it is played on an xbox....forget it.
Thank you for your input!

My kids know what a see-saw is hehe. Teaching them moderation is difficult with all the targeted distractions they have nowadays. Video games, instagram, social media etc... I don't even have Facebook and never have, though my parents do! haha

My trailer is at 6300 lbs (GTWR 7350) loaded for camping with a 860 tongue weight. So i'm a little under 14% on the tongue. Going by the math, your rig would be more likely to sway than mine, all other things equal. Good to know its working for you!
__________________

__________________
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS GVWR 7815lbs/Fastway e2 10k
2016 Ram 2500 CC Tradesman 6.4L 4x4 3.73 GVWR 10000lbs, 3176lb Payload, 12630lb Tow, Max Tongue 1800, GCWR 19800
2017 Ram 1500 CC Lone Star 3.6L 4x2 3.55 GVWR 6800lbs, 1673lb Payload, 7510lb Tow, Max Tongue 1100, GCWR 12900
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hitch, tongue weight, towing, weight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.