Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #1

Anyone towing with a 2013 Explorer or similar TV?

Hey everyone! Looking to solicit anyone's experiences towing with the above SUV or something very similar. We have an xlt with tow package and looking at the Roo 17 or 19 as our new TT. I've never pulled anything before and wondering how my vehicle will do with either of these TTs. Based on my research, they're both within spec of my TVs capabilities, I'd just like to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences. Thanks!

Edit: Scratch this, found a really good thread here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...dia-57074.html

Pretty much puts me out of my limits or very close to. Definitely over 80%.
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train

What are the ratings on the explorer? I wouldn't say no until I did all my homework.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 Tablet using the FRF Android App!
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:26 AM   #3

GCVWR is 9980
GVWR is 6160
Curb is about 4452
Payload is 1570
Max is 5000
Hitch is 500

Were a family of 4, me, wife, 15 yr stepson & 4 yr daughter. I'd say far as passenger weight were about 650. Were coming from tent camping so we pack light. Of course with a TT that could change in a heartbeat lol
Old 04-12-2014, 05:49 AM   #4

17 should be no problem. The 19 will be a struggle.

1999 Silverado with tow package

2006 Roo 23B hybrid

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #5
Engineer of Crazy Train

I agree, 17 should be ok. 19 may put you a bit over. Don't expect hot hod performance while towing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #6

Yea I pretty much figured the 19 was going to be too heavy. I don't expect to be towing very fast with this TV. I'm hoping we can swing getting a different TV first. We really like the 231kss. That's way too heavy for us though right now.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
Yea I pretty much figured the 19 was going to be too heavy. I don't expect to be towing very fast with this TV. I'm hoping we can swing getting a different TV first. We really like the 231kss. That's way too heavy for us though right now.
Remember, no one towing anything is going to be drag racing. Regardless of the tow vehicle, it does take time to get any trailer up to speed. Even semi's take time. Get the trailer you want and just take it easy with the gas peddle. Get rid of the P tires and put on LT and you should be able to tow it. Not fast, but as fast as you need to. You can always trade up in tow vehicles.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Remember, no one towing anything is going to be drag racing. Regardless of the tow vehicle, it does take time to get any trailer up to speed. Even semi's take time. Get the trailer you want and just take it easy with the gas peddle. Get rid of the P tires and put on LT and you should be able to tow it. Not fast, but as fast as you need to. You can always trade up in tow vehicles.
I had forgotten about looking into tires! We go camping primarily in the Sierra Nevada foothills at about 6000 elev. There aren't very many 6-7% grades where we go, maybe 1 or 2, but the ascent is gradual and longish. We'd be doing some coastal stuff too. I'm not so worried about flat terrain. Towing a sail behind is what it is, but climbing & descending is where I'm worried the most.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #9

The transmission will shift as needed so let it when going up.
Before you start going down, slow down 5-15 MPH and do NOT ride the brakes the whole way.
Pull the transmission down out of overdrive.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I had forgotten about looking into tires! We go camping primarily in the Sierra Nevada foothills at about 6000 elev. There aren't very many 6-7% grades where we go, maybe 1 or 2, but the ascent is gradual and longish. We'd be doing some coastal stuff too. I'm not so worried about flat terrain. Towing a sail behind is what it is, but climbing & descending is where I'm worried the most.
That's why there is a transmission shift lever. Not trying to be a wiseacre, but there is no problem with using 3rd gear instead of 4 while towing. Just make sure you have a transmission cooler. As I have stated before, there is no law that says you have to tow 55-60 up grades.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #11

Thanks everyone. I have the tow button which will be on when hauling so it should keep me from getting into OD in the first place. I plan on putting in a brake controller as well as a wdh to help. I guess I'll start looking into LT tires now. We may be heading to the dealer to check out some Roos & Jaycos today. Excited!
Old 04-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #12

This is just my 2 cents. I agree with the above statements of getting the trailer you want! But long term if your able to upgrade your tow vehicle I personally recommend it. Being at the top end or at max leaves little wiggle room.

If you had a bigger tow vehicle would it influence your decision on a trailer? Or are you actually getting the trailer you want? I guess my point is, if your going to max out your tow vehicle for a trailer that is less than what you want and then end up not happy with the tow capabilities and upgrade your tow vehicle will you regret your decision on a trailer?
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyrwc View Post
This is just my 2 cents. I agree with the above statements of getting the trailer you want! But long term if your able to upgrade your tow vehicle I personally recommend it. Being at the top end or at max leaves little wiggle room.

If you had a bigger tow vehicle would it influence your decision on a trailer? Or are you actually getting the trailer you want? I guess my point is, if your going to max out your tow vehicle for a trailer that is less than what you want and then end up not happy with the tow capabilities and upgrade your tow vehicle will you regret your decision on a trailer?
Well at this point we're just doing the research. We've only been to one dealer so far so we're at the beginning point of narrowing down what we want. I know for a fact, if we had the TV, we'd go with the 231kss. But, we've only seen a few so far.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
Site Team

strangebrew, i've been responding on your other posts, on another RV forum.

didn't know you were in California. just remember, our Foothills would be considered mountains in a lot of the rest of the country.
even the Coastal Range would be considered mountains in most of the U.S.

since we often pull our Roo over the Sierras, Siskiyous and Cascades, having an adequate tow vehicle was a priority for us.
we made sure we had a tow vehicle that had a ton of extra towing capacity.

and since you live in Central Cali, just a warning about Best RV, which many Roo shoppers here visit.
suggest you do a search on them. they have a terrible reputation, especially after the sale.
we visited them one time when we were shopping and will NEVER buy anything from them. that was back in 2006 and from what i've read on other RV forums, nothing has changed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

and since you live in Central Cali, just a warning about Best RV, which many Roo shoppers here visit.
suggest you do a search on them. they have a terrible reputation, especially after the sale.
we visited them one time when we were shopping and will NEVER buy anything from them. that was back in 2006 and from what i've read on other RV forums, nothing has changed.
Good ol' Best RV......that is a whole 'nother thread lol!

I bought there and have had good luck...you have to put your foot down to get what you want and deserve...so yes proceed with caution as I too have heard the horror stories.
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #16

tow weight is more than just speed...braking, handling, acceleration when merging, starting out on hills, cooling/trans loads, etc.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #17

We just got back from Best RV. They were pretty friendly and we were just looking and told them that straight up. We looked at the 17 & 19 and we've decided these are the top 2. Dry weight for the 17 was 2700 which is light. The 19 was 3600 dry. I think we're going for the 17. I'd be way more comfortable pulling it. They're asking $17499 for it.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #18

@ Dan: Thanks for the heads up on Best RV. Some pretty bad reviews on yelp. A local dealer here said they were getting a few Rockwoods later this week so I might just stick with them. I was wondering why your username looked familiar. I'm so many boards asking questions this week doing my research lol

Quick question about dual axles. They have more brakes, but also have more weight. In my mind, more brakes = more safety, but the additional weight could possibly make this point moot. How do you guys feel about dual axles? Reason I'm asking is because of the yellow sticker difference between the 17 & 19. 17 is 2700 lbs while the 19 is 3610. Big difference, but the 19 has dual axle. Both are within specs of my TV, obviously the 17 will be much lighter. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
@ Dan: Thanks for the heads up on Best RV. Some pretty bad reviews on yelp. A local dealer here said they were getting a few Rockwoods later this week so I might just stick with them. I was wondering why your username looked familiar. I'm so many boards asking questions this week doing my research lol

Quick question about dual axles. They have more brakes, but also have more weight. In my mind, more brakes = more safety, but the additional weight could possibly make this point moot. How do you guys feel about dual axles? Reason I'm asking is because of the yellow sticker difference between the 17 & 19. 17 is 2700 lbs while the 19 is 3610. Big difference, but the 19 has dual axle. Both are within specs of my TV, obviously the 17 will be much lighter. Thanks.
Go for the19.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #20

Quote:

Dual axles makes it easier to control TW and if case of a blow out you have another tire on that side to allow you to move to safety.

The camper bug is tough to fight. We bought a HIgh wall pop up because it was within out towable range. After 16 months, found ourselves getting a larger more capable tow vehicle. That lasted about a year before we traded in the popup for a trailer we really love- and took a bath on the popup. So looked down the road and get what you really like. See if anyone rents trailers in your area to see if the ones you are looking at are the ones you would be just living with- not loving. Enjoy your shopping

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, towing